COVID test rules tightened for Athens (Piraeus) at least

unfathomable

Are you sailing from Piraeus (Athens)? I just received a revised cruise ticket, less than a week after the original. I am boring and I read these things! THE COVID TEST RULES HAVE CHANGED, for Piraeus or for us at least.

For us, it means we've lost the cost of our pre-booked video-proctored tests and had to rush to book new in-person tests. More to the point, we could easily have missed this change and the cruise.

The words: "If you arrive for embarkation without a valid negative test result, you will be denied boarding" are scary. So if you are sailing from Piraeus (Athens) please check whether this might apply to you. If I've helped, buy me a drink on board!

Not impressed that this change wasn't flagged by Silversea.

Hi Kristal Blade,

I found the following on the SS website. The highlighted portion would be the new requirement for Greece.

VOYAGES EMBARKING IN THE PIRAEUS ONLY

Guest Embarkation Testing Requirements

All guests regardless of their vaccination status must present a valid Antigen negative test result performed within 48 hours of embarkation:

The test must be administered by a certified laboratory. Any other tests such as self-test kits or procedures via a telehealth provider will be rejected by Greek authorities.

This would mean video proctored tests, such as Abbot's BinaxNOW, would not be accepted. I have also posted this on our roll call board. We still have 51 days until we sail, hopefully Greece will eliminate the requirement by then.

This actually isn't something new. Piraeus for some reason has been out of sync for some time and that includes not accepting tests not done in a clinic. When other countries were accepting PCR tests done up to 3 days before, Piraeus insisted your PCR or Antigen had to be within 24 hours and it's a topic that's cropped up frequently on other boards.

But, the good news is. There are (or at least we're) numerous test locations in the port that are fine to use, don't need an appointment and typically between €5 an €10

I'm sure someone will be able to advise some of the locations.

This has been in place for a while in Greece 

We arrived in August with our email confirmation that we were negative from an Antigen test taken forty eight hours earlier at a centre near home.

When at the port in Piraeus they were conducting Antigen tests for those that didn't have a negative confirmation before boarding.

That was on Seabourn Encore.

I am still trying to figure out the rules for the various countries…

If I leave from an Italian port and end in an Italian port - but dock in Greek ports along the way, do I still require a Covid test. If I phone five times for clarification I seem to get 27 different answers.

I may be missing something, but all the information I have seen about Athens/Piraeus clearly states that the rules are for those embarking on a ship.  My October cruise will be dis-embarking in Athens, after visiting two other Greek ports in the few days before.  My assumption is that I don't need to worry about the Greek rules – and if I do, my cruise line will figure it out.

We have been told that if the ship goes into a port in Greece (embarkation port makes no difference) that you must have a test within 48 hours of the cruise.  In our case we are leaving from Barcelona on the 14th to Rome, and then Rome to Venice with a stop in Corfu.  Silversea has told our agent we must have a test in Barcelona because we have the two cruises under one booking number.  It really is a ridiculous situation.

30 minutes ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

We have been told that if the ship goes into a port in Greece (embarkation port makes no difference) that you must have a test within 48 hours of the cruise.  In our case we are leaving from Barcelona on the 14th to Rome, and then Rome to Venice with a stop in Corfu.  Silversea has told our agent we must have a test in Barcelona because we have the two cruises under one booking number.  It really is a ridiculous situation.

Thems the rules

• Like 1

I am really confused about this.   We spend two nights in. Venice before sailing, then 5. nights at sea before we reach Greece.   That is a whole week and cannot see that Greece will accept this.  I also cannot see a whole ship being able to get a shoreside test in Croatia after their shore excursion there

I also think Greece will not see that they only need it if you are embarking.   What is the difference.  They are saying that effectively you need it to arrive in Greece.

Possibly SS will need to do the tests and charge us.

1 hour ago, Tudorcruisers said:

Our TA told us today we have to book an antigen test 48 hours before we embark in Venice and then are in Corfu quite a few days later.  It does seem very strange. 

I suspect we are on the same cruise in 4 weeks. That is how I understand it, test 48hrs before boarding in Venice using a  monitored test. Seems a bit silly really but those seem to be the rules

Just been advised by S/S Sydney that we do not need a Negative RAT to board the vessel in Barcelona on 14th Sept but will be tested on board prior to arrival in Rome where the second part of the voyage commences, to comply with Greek requirements,  irrespective of there being only one booking number the cruise is deemed to be two voyages.