Cuban cigars in the ABC Islands

CFLRetired

13 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Why do you say that?  

Lots and lots of knock offs...just like that Rolex watch the guy on the corner is showing you.  😉 

My comment was...beware.  Go to reputable shop.   Too many vendors hawking "Cuban cigars" that take a fast hike when the cops roll by.  😄 

And...better smoke them there if you find the real ones.

Are Cuban cigars still illegal 2022?

The import of Cuban cigars, both for commercial purposes and personal consumption, is illegal in the United States. This is not because of the contents of these tobacco products but rather the political relations between the United States and Cuba.Apr 11, 2022

Edited by island lady

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lots and lots of knock offs...just like that Rolex watch the guy on the corner is showing you.  😉 

My comment was...beware.  Go to reputable shop.   Too many vendors hawking "Cuban cigars" that take a fast hike when the cops roll by.  😄 

And...better smoke them there if you find the real ones.

Are Cuban cigars still illegal 2022?

The import of Cuban cigars, both for commercial purposes and personal consumption, is illegal in the United States. This is not because of the contents of these tobacco products but rather the political relations between the United States and Cuba.Apr 11, 2022

They're EZ PZ to bring home. You just gotta know how it's done.  

• Like 1

Just my personal view, but I quit buying the Cuban Cigars a long time ago, because they are not as good as the "legal" cigars I buy at home - Ashton, Cohiba, Arturo Fuente, just to name a few.

I would spend $20 to $30 on a small Cuban (just because it was Cuban) cigar, and then hate myself while smoking it for paying so much and being dissappointed.

Edited by DHADEN

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Are you saying the Rolex that I bought in Colombia for $14.00 might be a knock off?🤔

Talking about fake watches, years ago when departing DCL Wonder in PC, a customs officer gave me the 3rd degree about the classic Rolex GMT Master I was wearing.  He seemed to think it was a fake, probably because it didn't look like all the typical Submariners.  I really thought I was going to get pulled aside, but he finally let me go.  I sold that watch a few years back for more than I paid for it.

17 hours ago, DHADEN said:

Just my personal view, but I quit buying the Cuban Cigars a long time ago, because they are not as good as the "legal" cigars I buy at home - Ashton, Cohiba, Arturo Fuente, just to name a few.

So many good cigar makers and growers and seedling plants left Cuba, plus many originals have passed away over the years. Up until around 2002/2003, the quality of Cuban cigars in Cuba was pretty poor.  It's progressed up some since then, but isn't what it used to be.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:31 AM, Charles4515 said:

Most cigars sold as Cuban in the Caribbean are counterfeit.  So I advise sticking to La Casa Del Habano. They have stores in Oranjestad and Willemstand.

I bought at La Casa Del Habano in St Kitts and with a little education on what to look for it's not that hard to tell a counterfeit.  Believe me, we live in Mexico and it's easy to pick counterfeits.  

On 9/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, DHADEN said:

I would spend $20 to $30 on a small Cuban (just because it was Cuban) cigar, and then hate myself while smoking it for paying so much and being dissappointed.

Totally agreed, it's all about the mystic of doing something "illegal".  I even feel Cohiba's are highly overrated and over priced.  There was a little shop in downtown Sacramento where the owners fled Cuba and would handroll while you waited, reasonable and well done.  

14 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I bought at La Casa Del Habano in St Kitts and with a little education on what to look for it's not that hard to tell a counterfeit.  Believe me, we live in Mexico and it's easy to pick counterfeits.  

I am not saying you can't find real Cuban cigars at other than La Casa Del Habano. I think though since Cuban cigars are not sold in the US it may be difficult for US cruisers to determine. If anyone knows any reputable sellers in Aruba or Curaçao other than La Casa they should step up. 

Edited by Charles4515