Overseas Passenger Terminal Sydney

bonox55

19 minutes ago, bonox55 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is free wi-fi at the OPT in Sydney? Will be using the Medallion App on a tablet and may have to buy a data only sim for it if there is no free wi-fi.

Thanks.

No public wi-fi, but you may be able to get a connection to the ships wi-fi, although I am not sure of that prior to being checked-in. You won't need a sim though.

Prior to boarding, you only need your digital boarding pass. Take a screen shot of it before you leave, and display that image for entry to the terminal. The only other thing needed for check-in photo ID/Passport and vaxx certificate. If the vaxx certificate is stored on your tablet, you don't need a connection to display it.

• Like 1

G'day again arxcards,

Must admit again that I cannot find where to select a boarding time. I was under the impression that they would advise what time to board depending on your deck #. Hope you don't charge for your consultation in these matters? 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, bonox55 said:

G'day again arxcards,

Must admit again that I cannot find where to select a boarding time. I was under the impression that they would advise what time to board depending on your deck #. Hope you don't charge for your consultation in these matters? 

Paul

I can help. It is OK, Princess owes me a martini next month. I have been playing with medallion myself this morning. Boarding times become available to select from 60 days till boarding (based on US time zone)

Go to Travel Checklist ---> Personal Information & Documents ----> scroll down to the table under "suggested" ----> Arrivals ----> select your voyage (particularly if you have more than 1) and choose from the available times there.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your help. Will certainly post when i try again. Lost count of the number of hours of lost sleep brought about by this Medallion App. Remember the good old days when all you had to worry about when you got to the Terminal, was making sure you boarded in time for lunch??

Paul

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bonox55 said:

Thank you all for your help. Will certainly post when i try again. Lost count of the number of hours of lost sleep brought about by this Medallion App. Remember the good old days when all you had to worry about when you got to the Terminal, was making sure you boarded in time for lunch??

Paul

I hope it is worth it. I do remember the in between time when you waited till 59 days, 23hrs, 59 mins to print your cruise docs, then down the track for doing the same for boarding times.

I was talking to my wife the other day, about the days when you got the little package in the mail with the vinyl folder with cruise docs inside.

With the medallion stuff done, it does speed up check-in to the point that queues are very short. Show green lane boarding pass, show passport/photo ID, show vaxx certificate, answer a couple of health questions, get medallion and head for boarding. A couple of weeks ago, we were boarded, did our muster stuff, dropped bags in the cabin - all before the dining room opened for lunch.

When the covid stuff is over, I hope they allow for the mailing out of medallions here like they do in the US. Then check-in will be just showing green lane pass, medallion and photo ID. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Or a week or two out from your cruise

All the good times have gone by then. 🤣

bonox - you can get to the Choose arrival time page but when you look at the times, it will say "0 groups available" - the groups will show up at <60 days.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

All the good times have gone by then. 🤣

bonox - you can get to the Choose arrival time page but when you look at the times, it will say "0 groups available" - the groups will show up at <60 days.

I insist on having good times once aboard no matter what time that is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, bonox55 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is free wi-fi at the OPT in Sydney? Will be using the Medallion App on a tablet and may have to buy a data only sim for it if there is no free wi-fi.

Thanks.

There was free wi fi at Hungry Jack's (Aussie name for Burger King) at Circular Quay. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

There was free wi fi at Hungry Jack's (Aussie name for Burger King) at Circular Quay. 

Also at Maccas (our name for McDonalds).

These other locations outside of the cruise terminal aren't of any use for using the mobile app to check-in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Also at Maccas (our name for McDonalds).

These other locations outside of the cruise terminal aren't of any use for using the mobile app to check-in.

Why not? The mobile app works for check in on wifi away from the ship, we did ours in Canberra.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Why not? The mobile app works for check in on wifi away from the ship, we did ours in Canberra.

Back to the original question asked. Having no sim in a tablet.

While you have wi-fi, it will display your boarding pass. When you don't have a sim and there is no wi-fi present, the app wont open to show the terminal/check-in staff the green lane boarding pass. That can be overcome by taking a screen shot anyway, so if you do that you don't need wi-fi to do a green lane check-in.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, arxcards said:

When the covid stuff is over, I hope they allow for the mailing out of medallions here like they do in the US. Then check-in will be just showing green lane pass, medallion and photo ID. 

If they send them Australia post who knows when they would turn up. I left something at a motel last year. The motel posted it, that day express post, to the place we were staying a few days later. It turned up there 8.5 months later.

I'm waiting on another package that was ordered mid-July and is noted as having been picked up by Australia Post. It hadn't arrived by the time we boarded Coral last Saturday.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Back to the original question asked. Having no sim in a tablet.

While you have wi-fi, it will display your boarding pass. When you don't have a sim and there is no wi-fi present, the app wont open to show the terminal/check-in staff the green lane boarding pass. That can be overcome by taking a screen shot anyway, so if you do that you don't need wi-fi to do a green lane check-in.

Absolute worst case scenario if a guest turned up to the terminal with  no check in docs electronic or printed ( apart from passport/id)  the check in agent would be able to process them no problem, The green lane status  ( and all other relevant details )would already be in their system . No way the cruise line would deny a guest boarding just because their phone or tablet  did not work in the terminal.

It may not be as quick or smooth as the Medallion thing is supposed to be but certainly not worth stressing over.

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If they send them Australia post who knows when they would turn up. I left something at a motel last year. The motel posted it, that day express post, to the place we were staying a few days later. It turned up there 8.5 months later.

I'm waiting on another package that was ordered mid-July and is noted as having been picked up by Australia Post. It hadn't arrived by the time we boarded Coral last Saturday.

The tracking on some faulty items my husband posted back to Dick Smith showed them being in Sydney, then they disappeared. That was a couple of months ago and we have given up on them, but going from Julie's experience, maybe they will turn up sometime in the future.