HAL Wine Policy

BlackJack2

12 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

Where does one find a wine package on their website ?

Possibly under Gifts and Indulgences (if you were going to buy one as a gift to a passenger)? I found them all once I am logged with my booking number under Cruise Activities/Beverages. However, the easy way we all have must be credited to @Crew News who makes photos available for many menus and other valuable info (for HAL in specific)! Here you go:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Sommelier-Suite-2023.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, sj-cruiser said:

For those who have brought wine on board after the policy change when did you get charged the corkage?

They have a desk in the terminal immediately following the baggage security scan.  They will have you step aside and work your corkage fee there.  Very fast and painless.

• Like 1

Thank you CruiserBruce and AFNavigator.

It seems reasonable to get 4 glasses of good wine for $5 a glass plus with you paid for the bottle in the first place.  As I recall last time I cruised (2019) a passable wine was usually about $9 a glass and it's probably gone up since then.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, crystalspin said:

Possibly under Gifts and Indulgences (if you were going to buy one as a gift to a passenger)? I found them all once I am logged with my booking number under Cruise Activities/Beverages. However, the easy way we all have must be credited to @Crew News who makes photos available for many menus and other valuable info (for HAL in specific)! Here you go:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Sommelier-Suite-2023.pdf

Do you happen to know - if one purchases a bottle of wine from gifts/indulgences, is there an 18% gratuity attached? Not that I mind gratuity....just crunching numbers for my accountant lol 

i guess that is another advantage of bringing two bottle on board for your cabin - you don't have to pay extra gratuity on them...again, I like to tip and tip extra for good service and I also like to save (and spend) money ☺️

16 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Do you happen to know - if one purchases a bottle of wine from gifts/indulgences, is there an 18% gratuity attached?

Hi New-Blue!

I believe the gratuity is already included in the price you see under gifts/indulgences/beverages. I base this not on some super-knowledge, but the fact that the price for Simi Sauvignon Blanc is the very not-round number of $50.74 -- which is exactly 118% of $43.00

• Like 2

Okay so does HAL actually charge a corkage fee?  Because every cruise line I've been on says they have a corkage fee but I've never, ever, ever been charged a fee for bringing my own wine on 5 different cruise lines over the course of 30+ years of cruising.

10 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Okay so does HAL actually charge a corkage fee?  Because every cruise line I've been on says they have a corkage fee but I've never, ever, ever been charged a fee for bringing my own wine on 5 different cruise lines over the course of 30+ years of cruising.

Yes, they do.  You have good luck.  I've brought wine of celebrity and hal.  Was charged every time.

It used to be that one only paid corkage if one brought a bottle to a dining room or bar.

For that bottle of Simi Saugivnon Blanc you're probably better off buying a bottle and paying the corkage.  It's about $15 here with one place having it for $10.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:11 PM, FlaMariner said:

+1

I like to buy the wine package from our MDR waiter the first night.....I also bring the list and have my selection ready.

Do you find the pricing of the wine package the same when purchased on board in the MDR vs prior to your sailing?

6 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

Do you find the pricing of the wine package the same when purchased on board in the MDR vs prior to your sailing?

Yes they are the same.  Pricing pre-cruise includes the gratuity.  Pricing on board has gratuity added but it comes to the same price.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisegirl06 said:

If we bring bottles aboard and pay corkage, are we able to drink them anywhere (e.g MDR, specialty restaurants)?

Can I pay the fee with a giftcard?

the fee is taken manually at check in - but you can certainly go to Guest Services afterwards and pay the cost with a gift card.

Or pre- purchase OBC with your gift card to cover it.

11 hours ago, cruisegirl06 said:

If we bring bottles aboard and pay corkage, are we able to drink them anywhere (e.g MDR, specialty restaurants)?

Currently, Yes you can.  

I say currently, because they recently changed the 'rules' regarding 'wine packages' (multiple bottles of wine purchased from the ship) and it is now not permitted to drink the wine packages in bars, only the restaurants or your stateroom.