Cancel or No Show

fair-winds39

Our friends were booked on a cruise in the next few weeks. One of the two has to cancel due to jury duty. Is it better to be a “no show” or just call PVP and cancel .  If he is a no show, can she keep their balcony cabin? What is best solution? Thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I have had jury duty before also, I called up to the court and told them I would be out of town that week and they took my name off of the schedule.  Shouldn't have to miss the cruise because of a jury duty summons.

I agree. I was able to move jury duty a few years ago due to a cruise. Unless they live in a unique location that doesn’t allow you to move it for any reason, or they have moved it already, that shouldn’t cause them to cancel a cruise. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I have had jury duty before also, I called up to the court and told them I would be out of town that week and they took my name off of the schedule.  Shouldn't have to miss the cruise because of a jury duty summons.

Just now, JT1962 said:

I agree. I was able to move jury duty a few years ago due to a cruise. Unless they live in a unique location that doesn’t allow you to move it for any reason, or they have moved it already, that shouldn’t cause them to cancel a cruise. 

Thanks for letting me know. CC is such a great source of info

As others have said your friends can ask for a postponement of jury duty.  Every state (and sometimes counties within a state) have different rules.  Some will allow one postponement within a year, some more, some may not allow any.  They may have to attach proof of why they need the postponement, which should be easy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

As others have said your friends can ask for a postponement of jury duty.  Every state (and sometimes counties within a state) have different rules.  Some will allow one postponement within a year, some more, some may not allow any.  They may have to attach proof of why they need the postponement, which should be easy.

My mistake, I should have said a court date for a divorce hearing. Not jury duty, which I suppose is different.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

My mistake, I should have said a court date for a divorce hearing. Not jury duty, which I suppose is different.

Very different - lol.  No idea how that is handled.  Guess if both parties agree the divorce hearing can be re-scheduled.  If not, I would be a no-show, as I don't even think travel insurance (if they have it) will cover cancellation for that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Very different - lol.  No idea how that is handled.  Guess if both parties agree the divorce hearing can be re-scheduled.  If not, I would be a no-show, as I don't even think travel insurance (if they have it) will cover cancellation for that.

Thank you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nydney1 said:

Just for clarification.

No show for the cruise or No show for the divorce hearing?

Actually I was thinking no-show for the cruise.  No show for divorce hearing may lead to worse problems!