Carnival Spa - What do you do?

CGrey93

Hello! I love Carnival Spa massages, but I have a problem that I could use some advice and suggestions for. I have gotten massages before, so I know what to expect. On my last cruise, I had 3. On my upcoming cruise I have 2 booked and may add a 3rd. The ladies I've had have been wonderful, and I looked forward to getting to see them and getting to know them. Tips are automatically added, but I also give an envelope to the lady at each appointment to show my appreciation. The thing is . . .they have to try to sell you product. I get it. I know they have to try, but I feel SO uncomfortable saying no. It stresses me out waiting for the sales pitch and then telling them no thank you. It never ends there. They always try to give another nudge or ask questions to get you thinking about the benefits of the product. What do you do? How can I let them know up front that I don't want the products and I don't want to hear about them AT ALL? I don't know how to do it without saying it flat out when I first meet them, and I think we can all agree that's not the best way to start a conversation that will lead to a good experience for either of us. They don't know me, and it just seems really bitchy and aggressive, no matter how nicely it's worded. I appreciate any help or ideas. Let me just add, if you've found other places to get a massage cheaper/better, that's awesome! I really am delighted for you (no, really!), but I want to use the spa on the ship. For the folks who think I am paying for a service and I should just say it and not worry about their feelings because, "it's their job". Well, that's not me. It's fine if that's you. We're all different.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I tell them right up front, very politely…. “I’m not at all interested in any products, so I respectfully ask that you don’t bring them up, unless I ask you about something.  Thank you so very much, I really need this massage and to relax without anxiety “. Has never been a problem so far.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CGrey93 said:

Hello! I love Carnival Spa massages, but I have a problem that I could use some advice and suggestions for. I have gotten massages before, so I know what to expect. On my last cruise, I had 3. On my upcoming cruise I have 2 booked and may add a 3rd. The ladies I've had have been wonderful, and I looked forward to getting to see them and getting to know them. Tips are automatically added, but I also give an envelope to the lady at each appointment to show my appreciation. The thing is . . .they have to try to sell you product. I get it. I know they have to try, but I feel SO uncomfortable saying no. It stresses me out waiting for the sales pitch and then telling them no thank you. It never ends there. They always try to give another nudge or ask questions to get you thinking about the benefits of the product. What do you do? How can I let them know up front that I don't want the products and I don't want to hear about them AT ALL? I don't know how to do it without saying it flat out when I first meet them, and I think we can all agree that's not the best way to start a conversation that will lead to a good experience for either of us. They don't know me, and it just seems really bitchy and aggressive, no matter how nicely it's worded. I appreciate any help or ideas. Let me just add, if you've found other places to get a massage cheaper/better, that's awesome! I really am delighted for you (no, really!), but I want to use the spa on the ship. For the folks who think I am paying for a service and I should just say it and not worry about their feelings because, "it's their job". Well, that's not me. It's fine if that's you. We're all different.

Thank you!

Just say no!

Honestly, I know some people really struggle with this.  I haven't had any bad experiences.  I usually just let them do their whole sales pitch, and then say, "Nah, I'll pass, but thank you."  I've really never had a more aggressive experience than that, but I know some people have. 

I really don't think you're going to find an answer that solves the problem of the sales pitch and how to avoid it.  It's going to happen.  It's part of the process.  My best advice is just to not let it bother you, and enjoy the massage.  But like I said, I know this can really be a struggle for some people.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I always get a pedicure.... and they do the same thing.  It is interesting though that during the last couple sailings I tried something new for the same reason when they started talking about products during my pedi, "what do you use, you know our oil is the best."  I started with "OMG, I know I love all this stuff so much - I have a cupboard full!  I have lotion, oil, scrubbing salts, etc.  LOVE them all, my husband told me I better not come back from the spa with anymore!"

Didn't even try to sell me anything at the end.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I always get a pedicure.... and they do the same thing.  It is interesting though that during the last couple sailings I tried something new for the same reason when they started talking about products.  I started with "OMG, I know I love all this stuff so much - I have a cupboard full!  I have lotion, oil, scrubbing salts, etc.  LOVE them all, my husband told me I better not come back from the spa with anymore!"

Didn't even try to sell me anything at the end.

Brilliant! LOL.

• Like 1

I write it in on the paperwork they have you fill out pre-massage. Has never failed me. However, when I was getting a wash and style on Liberty this last weekend, the guy kept asking me things like, "would you like a deep conditioning treatment?" "Would you like some eye cream for your wrinkles?" "Would you like some skin cream treatment for the redness on your cheeks?" Dude. I politely kept telling him no (no paperwork to fill out before a hair styling appointment), but my self-esteem sure took a hit. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just told them up front that I won't be buying any product so there was no need to do the sales pitch.  I have never had an issue with doing that and, I did end up purchasing some of the oil one time the day after my massage (we got gifted a gift card for our anniversary), and when I went back to get it, I specifically asked for the girl who did the massage.  Wasn't sure if they were on commission, but since she honored my "no sales pitch" request I wanted to make sure she got the credit. 

Honestly, I think they appreciate knowing before hand so they don't waste their time doing the pitch.

• Like 2

Having been in sales in the past I know how frustrating it is for someone to sit there and let you go through your whole sales pitch then say they never planned on buying anything. Don’t let them waste their time like that. They could be moving on to the next client that might want to buy a bunch of stuff. That’s why when I’m filling out the paperwork ahead of time I never mention any ailments or concerns (which is what they go by in order to recommend certain products.) I also write down that I’m not interested in buying anything but I appreciate their hard work and always tip very well. They seem to like the up front honesty and mention of a tip. 

• Like 1

I used to work for a company that received a 70% off discount on all Elemis products. I always tell them up front “I actually work for Steiner!” Which is their parent company. My mother in law always says “Oh my DIL works for The same company so I have all of this for free.” They usually don’t ask. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

I write it in on the paperwork they have you fill out pre-massage. Has never failed me. However, when I was getting a wash and style on Liberty this last weekend, the guy kept asking me things like, "would you like a deep conditioning treatment?" "Would you like some eye cream for your wrinkles?" "Would you like some skin cream treatment for the redness on your cheeks?" Dude. I politely kept telling him no (no paperwork to fill out before a hair styling appointment), but my self-esteem sure took a hit. 🤣🤣🤣

Listen for Complimentary  part or just ask it is Complimentary, I have gotten several free treatments this way.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gopackgo21 said:

I used to work for a company that received a 70% off discount on all Elemis products. I always tell them up front “I actually work for Steiner!” Which is their parent company. My mother in law always says “Oh my DIL works for The same company so I have all of this for free.” They usually don’t ask. 

I usually mention I have all the hair products since I do have most of the ones they use onboard.  They are very good products (Keratase) and the ship price is comparable to Amazon prices.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Listen for Complimentary  part or just ask it is Complimentary, I have gotten several free treatments this way.  

I didn't even want them if they were complimentary, though! But kudos to you for getting some free treatments - heaven knows that is rare in Carnival's spa.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, samiam0403 said:

That shade rt there. Low key savage

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Learned about some great products this way

I'm happy you were able to learn about some new products! I have previously used their Elemis and Kerastase products, though - and am happy with the Kiehls, La Mer, and Olaplex products I currently use. My point was more that the guy kept low-key pointing out flaws that are practically non-existent to attempt to make a sale. 😐

• Like 2