Planks and Steamers officially DOA?

sonomaphil

12 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

100%.  Goal #1 = Increase Revenue.  How that gets done is a labyrinth of interconnected strategies but the simplest of these is to push people into packages.  I don't think anyone made a PowerPoint presentation at HQ showing how additional revenue from Alfredo's would be a game changer. I wouldn't be surprised if they started employing even more strategies that make Standard fares a sure loser.  They want everyone to have a package and I suspect that soon they will get there.  "Inside cabins can only booked if you have a package."  "Advanced Dining Reservations can only be made if you have a package."  "Pool hours from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. are limited to those who have a package."  Don't laugh.  

Celebrity tried requiring package purchases a few years back. That experiment failed and they dropped it fairly quickly.

44 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Celebrity tried requiring package purchases a few years back. That experiment failed and they dropped it fairly quickly.

So the question becomes: When "requiring" a package fails, will "making packages the only logical choice" succeed.  As long as Standard is an option, there is not "requirement".  Princess seems intent on making Standard a viable option only for people who cannot or chose not to consume alcohol.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:40 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Looks like Planks walked the plank and Steamers ran out of steam.😜

Yet both were mentioned in Princess' recent email about the changes in dining.

• Expanded casual dining options: Delicious prix fixe menus have been added to casual dining restaurants like Planks, Steamers, Alfredo's, Gigi's by Alfredo, Ocean Terrace and Kai Sushi. They’re available for a nominal cover charge of $14.99.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

So the question becomes: When "requiring" a package fails, will "making packages the only logical choice" succeed.  As long as Standard is an option, there is not "requirement".  Princess seems intent on making Standard a viable option only for people who cannot or chose not to consume alcohol.  

Should there be a fare option that includes the non-alcoholic beverage package and excludes the alcoholic one? 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, vickie_bernie said:

Steamers was open tonight.  

There were a few tables enjoying it. 

Looks like Planks will be open this evening on the Caribbean. Neither were open on the day we sailed. Not sure about our second evening.  IMG_7474.thumb.jpeg.c42059b30057c51b1e70eeb09484e134.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vickie_bernie said:

Steamers was open tonight.  

There were a few tables enjoying it. 

Hi Vickie. We were on the previous cruise with you. Could you post menus for Steamers, Planks and Vines. I was told that each would have a 3 course prixe-fixe. 
Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Looks like Planks will be open this evening on the Caribbean. Neither were open on the day we sailed. Not sure about our second evening.  IMG_7474.thumb.jpeg.c42059b30057c51b1e70eeb09484e134.jpeg

I am wondering what the Savory Pie is that is listed under the Omelet Station at 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Anyone know? Thanks!

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Should there be a fare option that includes the non-alcoholic beverage package and excludes the alcoholic one? 

Seems logical.  Call it "Minus" and price it out at $45 per day and you get everything included in "Plus" except your beverages must be soft ones.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Seems logical.  Call it "Minus" and price it out at $45 per day and you get everything included in "Plus" except your beverages must be soft ones.

Except they cannot use a negative sounding word to name a package.  How about "Plus Light"?  I see $45 as the max and $40 as the min.  How about $42.50?  Ha, ha.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, Schmoe38 said:

That may have changed with the most recent sailing of Caribbean Princess. Someone currently on board suggested Planks and Steamers are open for casual dining business, however, are not open every night.

We’re on Caribbean Princess in mid September, so I guess we’ll be able to see first hand.

I just got off the Caribbean Princess four days ago. There were no indications or rumors that Planks and Steams will reopen, as branded dining venues, anytime soon. However, things may have suddenly changed this week. 😏

Edited by NorthWestPassage

41 minutes ago, NorthWestPassage said:

I just got off the Caribbean Princess four days ago. There were no indications or rumors that Planks and Steams will reopen, as branded dining venues, anytime soon. However, things may have suddenly changed this week. 😏

Posts #25 and 30, (from those currently on board), are advising that Steamers and Planks seem to be showing signs of life. 

Randy

• Like 1

We were on the Caribbean Princess in April and both were open during the entire cruise.  Never really understood what they were, though. ??  Additional buffet?  Pay extra?  Never really saw much in the way of seafood in Steamers, but they were operating.

• Like 1