Walking to Southampton UK City Cruise Terminal?

D. B.

We have stayed in Southampton Pre Cruise before Covid and used Uber to go from our Hotel to our X cruises.

This time we are staying 1 night pre cruise at the Holiday Inn Southampton that is a stone's throw from the City Cruise Terminal where we are to board Celebrity Silhouette next Monday, Sept. 19th.

My question is Has anyone Walked to that terminal from the Holiday Inn Southampton???

We are not dragging super  Large Luggage so that's not an issue. I am more concerned about finding a pedestrian entry point?

If anyone has done this recently a little advice from your experience would be appreciated.

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, D. B. said:

…My question is Has anyone Walked to that terminal from the Holiday Inn Southampton???

It’s a hop, skip and two jumps. You should be able to see the ship at the City Cruise Terminal. Should be no problem unless it’s too hot or too rainy.
Suggest you look at the route you’re gonna take before setting out.

Cheers!

• Like 1

+Thank you for the reply!

Port Security in most cruise ports can make what Looks like a Short Walk on a map end up being a long walk.

Looking at a Map (online) I see no indication of a pedestrian point of entry so I am hoping someone has Done it before?

Done it a number of times. Out of hotel, take right, through dock gates up to ship. One time departed Celebrity, walked to HI had coffee, came out of hotel, turned left walked to P&O ship. All with luggage.

• Like 1

As others have said, a very easy 5 minute walk.

Don't panic if when you arrive at the hotel you see that the adjacent Dock Gate (Gate 8 ) is closed  😲.

It's only open when a ship is at City Cruise Terminal 🙂

Same gate for vehicles & pedestrians

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well Guess what we found out today?

here we are at the Southampton Holiday Inn and we can See the Cruise Terminal near by BUT because of a Boat Show the shot walk to it is Blocked for a Month😜

We will need a Taxi to get to the Ship tomorrow because the only way to access the Cruise Terminal Now is a Long way off.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:22 PM, D. B. said:

Well Guess what we found out today?

here we are at the Southampton Holiday Inn and we can See the Cruise Terminal near by BUT because of a Boat Show the shot walk to it is Blocked for a Month😜

We will need a Taxi to get to the Ship tomorrow because the only way to access the Cruise Terminal Now is a Long way off.

Ain't that just Murphy's Law.🙄

Now if you'd just mentioned you were travelling in August I just might have thought "uh-oh, Southampton International Boat Show."

So that's me off the hook 😉

Although I thought that Herbert Walker Avenue (the Holiday Inn road)  and Dock Gate 8 were a single island in a sea of boat show, so probably it wouldn't have occurred to me to forewarn you.

I'm guessing you booked the Holiday Inn some time ago - it, and other nearby hotels, book-out early for the boat show.

Happy sailing

JB 🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spacetraveler said:

I am wondering if we can enter the terminal from Gate 10? 

Yes. 

For Mayflower, Horizon, and City cruise terminals. For City go left at the roundabout just inside the dock gate. 

For City or Horizon Gate 8 is easier if coming from that side of the city.

JB 🙂

We usually took a taxi that went in from Gate 8. When I checked with Google map for Gate 10, someone posted a message "Did not let me in". I am not sure if he is a legitimate passenger or not. Here is the link of the message:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dock+Gate+10/@50.9041392,-1.4272745,15z/data=!4m15!1m7!3m6!1s0x48738957be152909:0xa78c5a6a4cda71f0!2sSouthampton,+UK!3b1!8m2!3d50.9105468!4d-1.4049018!3m6!1s0x0:0x76f2acb5a0aa72a0!8m2!3d50.9043003!4d-1.4172851!9m1!1b1?hl=en

image.jpeg.93b95e4ca82af1f2bf44b011c689532b.jpeg

30 minutes ago, stag said:

We usually took a taxi that went in from Gate 8. When I checked with Google map for Gate 10, someone posted a message "Did not let me in". I am not sure if he is a legitimate passenger or not. Here is the link of the message:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dock+Gate+10/@50.9041392,-1.4272745,15z/data=!4m15!1m7!3m6!1s0x48738957be152909:0xa78c5a6a4cda71f0!2sSouthampton,+UK!3b1!8m2!3d50.9105468!4d-1.4049018!3m6!1s0x0:0x76f2acb5a0aa72a0!8m2!3d50.9043003!4d-1.4172851!9m1!1b1?hl=en

image.jpeg.93b95e4ca82af1f2bf44b011c689532b.jpeg

That seems to be the most recent comment, but it is from 7 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

JB, good evening at the Duke.

Give our very best to C and J.

Cheers…C…

Hi Colin,

Yep, good to meet colonials & ex-pats from both hemispheres 😉

I waved to you all when Regal Princess passed Lee-on-the-Solent on thursday evening.

Nobody waved back, perhaps because she passed on the Isle of Wight side of the Solent and none of your group had 60x160X military-grade binoculars 😃   

Over the previous 24 hours you experienced three seasons of British weather - fingers-crossed you don't complete the set when you sail round the north coast of Scotland 🤣

Regards to Ruth & Barb. & the rest, and y'all enjoy the rest of your cruise.

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Hi Colin,

Yep, good to meet colonials & ex-pats from both hemispheres 😉

I waved to you all when Regal Princess passed Lee-on-the-Solent on thursday evening.

Nobody waved back, perhaps because she passed on the Isle of Wight side of the Solent and none of your group had 60x160X military-grade binoculars 😃   

Over the previous 24 hours you experienced three seasons of British weather - fingers-crossed you don't complete the set when you sail round the north coast of Scotland 🤣

Regards to Ruth & Barb. & the rest, and y'all enjoy the rest of your cruise.

JB 🙂

👍 👍 Thanks.

Good wet English weather in Falmouth for a true ‘English experience’ but lots of sun in Cobh. Stay well…CV…

• Like 1