Thoughts on Walking Poles for Antarctica?

SailinC2C

We are in the process of ordering our Jackets and boots for our Jan 5 Silver Wind Antarctica cruise. We are undecided on ordering walking poles. For those that may have been there, do you thing it would be advantageous to have them? We are in our 60’s and relatively fit. Just not sure how icy or slippery the snow is.

Please let me know your experiences. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, SailinC2C said:

We are in the process of ordering our Jackets and boots for our Jan 5 Silver Wind Antarctica cruise. We are undecided on ordering walking poles. For those that may have been there, do you thing it would be advantageous to have them? We are in our 60’s and relatively fit. Just not sure how icy or slippery the snow is.

Please let me know your experiences. Thanks.

We were in Antarctica in November 2021, and just did Galapagos 2 weeks ago.  We did not need them in Antarctica at all, but used them ( ship supplied ) in Galapagos.  We are fit I'm 59 and DH is 60.  My 2 cents.

We were in Antarctica for the year-end 2021 Cloud cruise. The snow was very deep in many places. We were very glad that we brought trekking poles. Get the aluminum collapsible ones that don't take up much space and don't weigh very much along with the snow basket attachments.

• Like 1

Several years ago I bought poles for the Camino de Santiago.  They weren't so necessary then, but now that I'm in my 70s I find that I need them for hiking in Maine (especially going down steep trails).  So I would definitely bring them.  And I recommend this specific type –  Pacer Poles – because they have a molded hand grip that keeps your wrists in a natural position that is much easier on them and on your back.  The carbon fiber model is even lighter than aluminum, and not subject to any corrosion.  [But – oh my! – they are out of stock.  Hopefully they can get them to you in time...]

I certainly needed them in Antarctica. Though we were said to be the first tourist group to do a hike on the Antarctic Continent From Commonwealth Bay in west Antarctica in 2010. No tourists there since due to the increase in sea ice since then.

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Several years ago I bought poles for the Camino de Santiago.  They weren't so necessary then, but now that I'm in my 70s I find that I need them for hiking in Maine (especially going down steep trails).  So I would definitely bring them.  And I recommend this specific type –  Pacer Poles – because they have a molded hand grip that keeps your wrists in a natural position that is much easier on them and on your back.  The carbon fiber model is even lighter than aluminum, and not subject to any corrosion.  [But – oh my! – they are out of stock.  Hopefully they can get them to you in time...]

Pacer Poles for sure!  Walking pokes aren’t crutches for the old and infirm - youngsters all over the AT swear by them.  They get your upper body in the game, take load off knees downhill, help with balance in the slippery stuff.  You can move quicker and with less risk of injury.   

• Like 1

We did Antarctica with Ponant a few years ago. Pre-Covid. We ski about 100 days a year and are very fit. Yes, we found them very useful, especially going downhill and there was some deep snow. Highly recommend them.  In some places people were sliding down on their rear ends just to get down 🙂

When in Antarctica Nov 2017 I used walking poles provided by the ship. This Nov I will be taking my own collapsible poles, don't leave home without them. You may be walking on all kinds of terrain but when the snow is deep, they are a god-send. As for walking  on ice, do the penguin walk, shuffle along as the senior center tells us older folk, never let your feet leave the ice. (As an aside here, the senior center means well but in reality, after seeing penguins walk, the reality is much different 😉 )

I use hiking poles whenever I hike for all the above reasons. In Antarctica when I was dealing with my camera around my neck and stopping to take pictures I found it easier to use only one hiking pole and that’s really all I needed for the terrain we were walking on. 

My wife and I took a set of poles for each of us, but we each ended up using only one pole.  We found that one pole was enough to help with slipping on ice and we liked having a free hand to handle cameras, gloves, etc.