Shopping In Port - Cozumel & Cost Maya?

tracymtx

I am cruising on The Lady G in October. We will be stopping in Cozumel and Costa Maya. I really enjoy shopping while in port. I am definitely looking to purchase some vanilla. Just wondering if anyone else had some suggestions or recommendations - jewelry, leather goods, clothes, alcohol...any must buys?

Thank you!

We did that cruise on Adventure last December.  It was our first time to Costa Maya.  Not much there for shopping other than "local" crafts.  My wife got suckered on a blanket while we were on the beach that was supposed to be locally hand made.  After we got back to the ship we found the made in china tag.  Still a pretty blanket and we do use it for the beach but not what was represented.

Cozumel has everything you could possibly want.  Vanilla is the only thing I would personally recommend and you want the blue cap variety though I do not remember the difference.  The only other thing on your list we would be interested in is the alcohol but it is not discounted enough to worry about.  Also keep in mind that technically you will need to declare and pay TX state taxes on the liquor which usually would wipe out any savings.  You do you on the declaration I don't care.

Thankfully my wife is not big on jewelry and doesn't want it or makes her own but we have shopped it in Cozumel when she wanted some diamond studs and found that as far as we could tell there was no difference in pricing versus stateside stores.

Others will chime in with likely different experiences and that is fine.

• Like 3

We had a great time shopping in Costa Maya.  I love the Mexican pottery & hope to add pieces to my cookware collection next year. It’s just beautiful and my husband loves to haggle.  I pick out what i want & then let him negotiate the price. 

Personally, I say shop where you want. If something calls to you and it's worth the price, then buy it. Of course, this is after haggling.  Ihave done some amazing haggling on silver jewlery in both places.  The less customers around the better deal you'll get.  Also, if say a piece is $100, you can start at $40 and go from there.  Usually the last piece I throw in at the end is, cash?  and they usually will move even lower.  Be prepared for some places that won't.  I had one place I got to like $90. As we were putting $20s on the counter and got to $80 I said, $80? and they said $100. I took my money and left. NEVER had anyone go up after a price was agreed upon before. I was more than happy to pay the $90 and would have paid the $100 if that was the agreed upon price.  Still can envision that piece, but I don't play those games.

Erika

13 hours ago, poocher said:

We had a great time shopping in Costa Maya.  I love the Mexican pottery & hope to add pieces to my cookware collection next year. It’s just beautiful and my husband loves to haggle.  I pick out what i want & then let him negotiate the price. 

Need to be careful in Mexico.  Not all "cooking" pottery are safe.  Some have lead paint and have not been properly cured or coated.  Nice for display, but we don't use it with food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdylady said:

Personally, I say shop where you want. If something calls to you and it's worth the price, then buy it. Of course, this is after haggling.  Ihave done some amazing haggling on silver jewlery in both places.  The less customers around the better deal you'll get.  Also, if say a piece is $100, you can start at $40 and go from there.  Usually the last piece I throw in at the end is, cash?  and they usually will move even lower.  Be prepared for some places that won't.  I had one place I got to like $90. As we were putting $20s on the counter and got to $80 I said, $80? and they said $100. I took my money and left. NEVER had anyone go up after a price was agreed upon before. I was more than happy to pay the $90 and would have paid the $100 if that was the agreed upon price.  Still can envision that piece, but I don't play those games.

Erika

So it was OK for you to try to lower the price after you agreed, but not for them to try to raise the price.  Seems once you reneged and trying to get $80, the negotiation was open again.  

BTW - If they are holding to the price (or close) usually means it is real silver. If they are agreeing to less than 50%, a good chance it is not real.  We don't buy silver, but when we have visitors that want to shop, we always bring a magnet.

Edited by Seville2Cabo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, birdylady said:

Erika

So you are upset they went up after you tried to lower from the agreed price?  Really?  You tried to change the price and are saying you don't play those games?

Sounds they don't play that game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

BTW - If they are holding to the price (or close) usually means it is real silver. 

Anything that's real sterling will have the numbers 925 printed somewhere on it -- it might be small, but it'll be there. 

6 hours ago, birdylady said:

Personally, I say shop where you want. If something calls to you and it's worth the price, then buy it.

This isn't helpful to people who've never been to this location and are wondering what to expect.

7 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Need to be careful in Mexico.  Not all "cooking" pottery are safe.  Some have lead paint and have not been properly cured or coated.  Nice for display, but we don't use it with food.

Ive been using mine for 5 years.  Nobody’s gotten sick yet.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

So it was OK for you to try to lower the price after you agreed, but not for them to try to raise the price.  Seems once you reneged and trying to get $80, the negotiation was open again.  

BTW - If they are holding to the price (or close) usually means it is real silver. If they are agreeing to less than 50%, a good chance it is not real.  We don't buy silver, but when we have visitors that want to shop, we always bring a magnet.

4 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

So you are upset they went up after you tried to lower from the agreed price?  Really?  You tried to change the price and are saying you don't play those games?

Sounds they don't play that game.

First, we had the cash in hand and were placing about to place the last amount of money on the counter.  One last pitch effort is not uncommon.  Having another person come over who wasn't even in on the sale and intercede and raise the price.  Sorry. not normal in any way.  Was not making the deal.

As far as holding to a 'marked' price being 'worth it and real' makes no difference.  Jewelry stores normally mark up on average 600%. SO when they have 50% off sales, they are still making a good profit.   It's all marketing.

Lastly, I have done silversmithing myself so I am very comfortable knowing real silver from costume jewelry.

Erika