Lobster on Buffet??

Mitzelj

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I have come to accept that expecting everyone to follow formal dress codes, is more or less a lost cause in many instances.

But, On P&O, formal is very much the norm, and Princess cruises out of Southampton also follow the dress code. 

I realize that this is off topic but out of curiosity, does Princess enforce their dress code on the UK cruises or do people just follow the formal code blindly. 

I only ask because when the Enchanted was still in the US before it crossed, the dress code was pretty much left to the passengers without any real enforcement.  

7 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I realize that this is off topic but out of curiosity, does Princess enforce their dress code on the UK cruises or do people just follow the formal code blindly. 

I only ask because when the Enchanted was still in the US before it crossed, the dress code was pretty much left to the passengers without any real enforcement.  

I can't speak about enforcement, and it is nothing to do with blindly following the code. A lot of Brits just tend to like dressing up when on cruises - it makes a cruise different to other holidays.

On P&O,  dress code is followed by 90%, with no enforcement required. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I can't speak about enforcement, and it is nothing to do with blindly following the code. A lot of Brits just tend to like dressing up when on cruises - it makes a cruise different to other holidays.

P&O like Cunard Have a loyal British following who normally follow the true traditions of formal Ocean Liner travel. This is different from the standard form of "cruise" style. P&O & Cunard enforce this style. This helps differentiate them from standard cruises. You'll find this is what the pax on these lines like. There are those, who as I've said like to lower the bar & see what they can get away with. For the majority of cruisers on these 2 lines, yes it DOES affect the quality of their vacation.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Actually there is no real enforcement,  certainly on P&O.  Passengers just dress as they wish to,  which is in line with the dress code. 

That pretty much answers the question. 

It's the people who set what they perceive the code to be.....and for the UK it seems to be dressing up to enjoy a vacation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Actually there is no real enforcement,  certainly on P&O.  Passengers just dress as they wish to,  which is in line with the dress code. 

We sailed 6 times on Cunard. US pax are notorious for not following the dresscode(which IS strict compared to Princess & others)There was enforcement & many pax were asked to leave & dress properly or dine in the buffet. Even there it has to be smart casual... no shorts at night. I believe Saga cruises is the same. We'd like to try that one, but they don't really do many cruises in this area. Someone should start another dreaded dress code thread, so this can be moved out of the dining thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I believe Saga cruises is the same. We'd like to try that one, but they don't really do many cruises in this area.

Saga only sail from the UK. Plus, there is a minimum age requirement,  and I suspect you are too young to qualify 😃!

Edited by wowzz

Had one lobster tail at Crown Grill, pre pandemic. and it was a small, tough, tasteless waste of time.

If I ever try that again, I will definitely expect better!  And have them take it and change my order.   But, to be fair, I felt like that experience was just not good over-all.  Maybe because of the lady who seemed to be running it.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Saga only sail from the UK. Plus, there is a minimum age requirement,  and I suspect you are too young to qualify 😃!

Well, I am 60. My spouse is 68.

Edited by rbtan
spelling

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Had one lobster tail at Crown Grill, pre pandemic. and it was a small, tough, tasteless waste of time.

If I ever try that again, I will definitely expect better!  And have them take it and change my order.   But, to be fair, I felt like that experience was just not good over-all.  Maybe because of the lady who seemed to be running it.

We generally do the Beef Wellington or the ChateauBriand as opposed to the Lobster tail.If you've seem my pic of my Wellington, I think I do a pretty good job.(I know..Bragging)

Just got off Coral on Thursday in Sydney, Australia. No lobster tails in Horizon Cort or MDR's, not even on formal night, which we used to get.  I asked a head waiter why no lobster tails, he shrugged his shoulders and replied I cannot tell you why. But we all know, cut backs by the bean counters.

I remember the halycon days of the Princess embarkation day sea food buffet, alas no more.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, rbtan said:

Never had beef carved & served at our table. Even in the specialtie rest. I tend to think  things such as this are kicked up a notch or 2 over what we see in the Caribbean.

We were club class on a SKY  TA out of Southampton and never had anything carved at our table. I'm not even sure we got anything extra on the menu. But the food was very good anyway