Mask Mandate to end on NSW public transport and indoor areas of cruise terminals from 21 September 2022

Here is the link from NSW Health dated 19 September 2022

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20220919_00.aspx

Mask mandate to end on NSW public transport

19 September 2022

Masks will no longer be mandatory on public transport from Wednesday 21 September.

The NSW Government will remove the requirement for people to wear masks on public transport, including taxis and rideshare services, in transport waiting areas and the indoor areas of cruise terminals.

"This is a common sense approach that brings the rules into line for people travelling on buses or trains with those for planes and airport terminals," Premier Perrottet said.

NSW Health continues to recommend that people wear masks where they cannot physically distance from others, and in settings where there are vulnerable people and those who are at high risk of severe illness.

Minister Brad Hazzard said masks still play a significant role in reducing the risk of transmission.

"Continuing to wear a mask in crowded areas will be particularly important for people who have underlying health conditions or who are vulnerable to COVID-19 infection for other reasons. Wearing a mask in these settings will not only protect those around you, but will also reduce your risk of infection," Mr Hazzard said.

"We can all continue to help protect each other, but particularly those most vulnerable to COVID-19 infection, by staying at home when feeling unwell, taking a COVID-19 test straight away and self-isolating."

Minister for Transport, Veterans and Western Sydney David Elliott said he welcomed the decision to bring the mask mandate for commuters in line with arrangements in other states, domestic travel, venues and events.

"Everyone has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that they will do what is required to protect themselves and each other from COVID-19 and I have no doubt they will continue to do so," Mr Elliott said.

"Commuters will be pleased to hear this news as they will now able to make a personal decision and have a choice about when they wear a mask – particularly in outdoor public transport areas."

Mask wearing will remain mandatory at public hospitals, private health facilities and residential aged care facilities.

Taking the following steps will help combat against COVID-19 and other infectious diseases:

1. Staying home if unwell, taking a COVID-19 test straight away and self-isolating;
  2. Getting together outdoors or in large, well-ventilated spaces with open doors and windows;
  3. Practising good hygiene by washing or sanitising often;
  4. Taking a rapid antigen test for COVID-19 before visiting vulnerable loved ones or going to large gatherings and events and
  5. Staying up to date with vaccinations – for both flu and COVID-19.

NSW Health will also continue to work with SafeWork NSW and business groups to support workplaces to safely manage COVID-19.

Cheers

CRUISING ALONG

• Like 1

I was in Sydney about a month ago with some friends we were not sure if we were supposed to wear them or not and thought we stood out a fair bit as tourists as most times we were the only ones or one of the few that were wearing the masks 😂

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'll stick to wearing my mask. 😊

Me too inside.  Outside in fresh air masks aren't necessary.  I only wore a mask inside at the Royal Adelaide Show recently, but not in the fresh air.  I will still wear masks on public transport to protect myself.  It is not so much covid, but long covid which scares me.  I have lost trust in the Governments sharing up to date accurate information with members of the public.  My daughter works from home and in a city office.  Workmates are still catching Covid. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pean said:

I was in Sydney about a month ago with some friends we were not sure if we were supposed to wear them or not and thought we stood out a fair bit as tourists as most times we were the only ones or one of the few that were wearing the masks 😂

It depends where you are in Sydney. There are two big shopping centres near where I live and mask wearing is at least 50% at those. However at a major Eastern Suburbs shipping mall barely 5% of shoppers were wearing masks.

We always wear them when shopping. We now use P2 masks which are more comfortable to wear and much more effective.

• Like 3

SMS from Princess tonight:

In view of recent state government announcement regarding mask wearing being no longer required in cruise terminals, please note mask wearing continues to be mandatory in line with the Eastern Seaboard Cruise Protocols. Please arrive to the terminal with a mask.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

SMS from Princess tonight:

In view of recent state government announcement regarding mask wearing being no longer required in cruise terminals, please note mask wearing continues to be mandatory in line with the Eastern Seaboard Cruise Protocols. Please arrive to the terminal with a mask.

I guess that means you are required to wear a mask once you reach the gangway, and the existing rules apply aboard. I wonder how many heard the cruise terminal announcement and thought it would apply to the ship as well?

On 9/21/2022 at 11:54 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

It depends where you are in Sydney. There are two big shopping centres near where I live and mask wearing is at least 50% at those. However at a major Eastern Suburbs shipping mall barely 5% of shoppers were wearing masks.

We always wear them when shopping. We now use P2 masks which are more comfortable to wear and much more effective.

The better-than-the-rest-of-us residents of the Eastern suburbs for the most part didn't feel the need to wear masks during the height of the pandemic, when many of us were locked away...

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

I guess that means you are required to wear a mask once you reach the gangway, and the existing rules apply aboard. I wonder how many heard the cruise terminal announcement and thought it would apply to the ship as well?

Plus even if the NSW government has decided you don't need to wear masks in NSW cruuse terminals you may still be required to wear them in other states.

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Plus even if the NSW government has decided you don't need to wear masks in NSW cruuse terminals you may still be required to wear them in other states.

Correct, but you will have masks in your cabin for that and would be advised for each port arrival.

Queensland has also dropped their mask requirements for cruise terminals.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Correct, but you will have masks in your cabin for that and would be advised for each port arrival.

Queensland has also dropped their mask requirements for cruise terminals.

Princess only supplies surgical masks. We prefer P2 masks as they are more comfortable and more effective.

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Julie, you would have noticed OPT staff all had masks on when we disembarked yesterday morning and 90% of pax did leaving the ship and in terminal.

5 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Do Princess supply all your masks for the cruise, that will save us packing?

Yes. You will have one for each in your cabin, and replaced with new ones as you need. As with an earlier post, you will still need one with you to board the ship.

These are the apparently inferior surgical mask type, so if you need added protection you might still need to pack your own.

55 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes. You will have one for each in your cabin, and replaced with new ones as you need. As with an earlier post, you will still need one with you to board the ship.

These are the apparently inferior surgical mask type, so if you need added protection you might still need to pack your own.

There were 4 masks in my cabin when I embarked Coral on 13 Sept. I took my own.

• Like 2