Viking Ocean Wines

holech

My questions are…

1. In the Penthouse Veranda cabin refrigerator, is there space for wines I bring onboard. If so, how many bottles can I fit in at a time?

2. How many choices of included wines are available at lunch and dinner? ( 1 red and 1 white?)

3. Are the included wines the same at lunch and dinner.
4. How often during a 14 day cruise do they change the lunch and dinner wines? (every 3 days, once a week…)
5. How many varieties of wine are available on the Silver Spirits wine list (rose, Pinot Grigio, rioja, Cabernet etc.). I assume it’s a much larger selection.

Thank you for the info.

45 minutes ago, holech said:

My questions are…

1. In the Penthouse Veranda cabin refrigerator, is there space for wines I bring onboard. If so, how many bottles can I fit in at a time?

2. How many choices of included wines are available at lunch and dinner? ( 1 red and 1 white?)

4. How often during a 14 day cruise do they change the lunch and dinner wines? (every 3 days, once a week…)
5. How many varieties of wine are available on the Silver Spirits wine list (rose, Pinot Grigio, rioja, Cabernet etc.). I assume it’s a much larger selection.

Thank you for the info.

As I recall we could fit one bottle in the mini fridge, at an angle. We had to remove some items (can’t remember what) in the bottom. Can’t answer your other questions, sorry.

1 hour ago, holech said:

My questions are…

Thank you for the info.

We just concluded a 14-day Vikings Homeland cruise and this what we experienced:

1. We had a Junior Penthouse Suite, and there was space for one bottle of wine. I asked our cabin attendant to take away the replenishable spirits in our fridge (we don't drink them) and they replenished us a bottle of (house) red wine about 3 times as I recall- and I think it would have been more often than that if we had consumed more.

2. 1 red + 1 white.

3. Sometimes, usually not.

4. Nearly every day they were changed - I had reds from Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Australia and US. Wifey usually had whites (Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc ....). House wines were very good, some were excellent.

5. Don't know - did not have package. With the house wines and fridge re-stock, our bar tab was only about $50 for the entire cruise (some cocktails).

4 hours ago, holech said:

It’s not really the Silver Spirits wine list—it’s Viking’s ala carte wine list—anyone can purchase, Silver Spirits or not.

Someone else might chime in here on what’s on offer but there are lists in various Viking threads on CC. What’s available changes from ship to ship, region of travel, availability, not to mention Covid and supply chain issues.

We generally get the SSBP but my daughter is the "wine aficionado" so she is the one checking the wine list.  There are many to choose from and some have become our favorites that we frequently re-order.  There is a sommelier in each dining room and they will, if you wish, make recommendations based on what food you plan to order.  

On our cruise, the non-included wine list currently offers about 2 pages of white wines by the glass and another 2 pages of reds. I didn’t count the actual number of each, but there are plenty of options, including the usual varieties. You can also select from another page or so of bottles. 

That said, we’ve also had wines that weren’t on the list. For example, when they ran out of a South African Cabernet I quite liked, the wine steward offered a glass from a bottle of a red blend that wasn’t listed. I ended up ordering that wine frequently afterward, even though it never showed up on the menu.

Also, if you have a wine you like at the Chef’s Table (which has its own wines, also not on the wine list), you can order it elsewhere, too. 

All of the above should be viewed through the lens of the Silver Spirits package, which we have. While you can order non-included wines (and pay for them separately) without the package, I don’t know how things work beyond that.

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

While you can order non-included wines (and pay for them separately) without the package, I don’t know how things work beyond that.

My experience has been that unlisted wines are charged by the glass the same as listed. I enjoyed a red at Chefs Table one night (not on list) and asked for it at Manfredi’s another night (without SSP). Never been denied a requested wine—listed or not—without SSP. YVMV. 

Remember that both persons in a cabin must purchase the SSBP.  We do not purchase the SSBP. We have found that it is cheaper for us to order wine or beer from the menu if we want a non-included wine or beer.   If you are drinking several mixed drinks each afternoon or evening then it may be better to purchase the SSBP.

18 hours ago, holech said:

My questions are…

Thank you for the info.

Here is the count of wines by the glass available on our Alaska and The Inside Passage cruise on Viking Orion a few weeks ago: 

Sparkling - 1
White - 13
Rose - 2
Red - 13
Port - 1

I hope that helps some.
Tim

• Like 3

On 9/24/2022 at 12:10 PM, holech said:

My questions are…

Thank you for the info.

We bring a foldable cooler bag, fill with ice, and chill our white wines for the day - the fridges never are cold enough and they are small.

We also will purchase wine and/or local beer when in port. Purchasing local wine and beers allows us to enjoy very local wines and beers that are not on the beverage list. Viking allows guest to bring beverages on board to be consumed. We enjoy purchasing a local wine or beer to enjoy during the afternoon and evening.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input.
We will probably bring a few bottles of wine on board. This will make it more convenient to have a glass of wine on the veranda at night. 
We feel with so many sea days, we may drink a little more than we usually do.

So counting wines from the a la carte menu and maybe an occasional cocktail, I think we will be purchasing the SSBP.

• 3 weeks later...

We had two bottles of champagne in our fridge so I’d say two bottles of wine will fit.  Also, if you really like one of the included wines, take a photo of the bottle (to remember what it was!).  If you don’t care for the next night’s choice, ask for the one you do like. You will be accommodated!  

• Like 1