Currently on Ventura-Masks Again!

Mad4WDW

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I seem to recall saying that a couple if years ago. If they are exempt from wearing a mask, are they alao exempt from spreading germs around. Just dud our suggested LFT tests. All good. I took a picture and will wear my sticker and flash my picture if I sneeze on board.🤣

Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Megabear2 said:

I gained the impression from your posts on the Britannia link, particularly your conversations with Harry Peterson and Trevor Fountain.  If my impression is wrong I apologise but having re-read the posts as suggested cannot at this time see anything to change my view unfortunately.

It is wrong.

My view, to make clear, is that if a company has set out rules for you to use its services then people should follow those rules and if those rules provide for exceptions then those should be respected.

P&O is quite clear with its revised COVID policy that vaccinations are mandatory, pre-boarding COVID tests are optional (for most cruises), and mask wearing is only required in the medical bay.

Now if people want to travel then they need to take into account those facts and should not criticise people who are following them because they perceive it does not provide them the reassurance that they personally desire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Everybody has been aware for some time now that mandatory mask wearing can be imposed at any point before or during a cruise.

Are they? P&O don't seem to be since they don't mention it on their website.

5 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

If I was exempt from wearing a mask I would make damn sure I would be able to prove I was exempt.

Why would you have prepared for that eventuality when P&O give no indication it might be imposed.

6 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I travel on a cruise on Sunday. There is every possibility that by the time I reach check in that mask wearing on board will be mandatory. If that is the case then I expect non-mask wearers would probably be denied boarding. I don't know what they would say to those who can prove they are exempt, but if they can deny boarding to anyone who has had a cough in the last ten days, then I'm pretty sure they can deny boarding to people exempt from wearing a mask.

Of course they can deny people who don't pass the health check, their T&Cs allow it. But denying boarding because of something not mentioned before...

7 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

It should be made clear to people who are exempt that they must provide suitable evidence of exemption or run the risk of having to quarantine should mandatory mask wearing become necessary mid-cruise.

And yet P&O don't.

8 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There are plenty of people who P&O do not accept on board for medical reasons

And P&O make clear who they do not accept onboard for medical reasons, and being unable to wear a mask for health reasons isn't one of them.

9 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

so just because someone is exempt from wearing a mask should not necessarily mean they are to be allowed to endanger the lives of other passengers during any outbreak of a airborne transmittable virus on board.

But you could see from P&O's website that they would impose no such restriction before you booked, so if you have such strong views then why book with P&O rather than with a cruise line that does impose such requirements.

15 minutes ago, picsa said:

It is wrong.

My view, to make clear, is that if a company has set out rules for you to use its services then people should follow those rules and if those rules provide for exceptions then those should be respected.

P&O is quite clear with its revised COVID policy that vaccinations are mandatory, pre-boarding COVID tests are optional (for most cruises), and mask wearing is only required in the medical bay.

Now if people want to travel then they need to take into account those facts and should not criticise people who are following them because they perceive it does not provide them the reassurance that they personally desire.

Thank you for the clarification on how you view the situation. Clearly that is more reasonable than how you worded it previously.  Sadly it's not quite so black and white as following the current rules as this thread and the Britannia one also show that the rules can change in a heartbeat, however I assume from your current post you support and would comply with any new ones introduced including any future reintroduction of compulsory testing and masking if P&O decide they become necessary.

Thank you.

Edited by Megabear2

33 minutes ago, picsa said:

But I am not the one advocating imprisoning those with serious health conditions.

You seemed to advocate "quarantine" for those unable to wear masks for health reasons. If you don't and agree that they are exempt from wearing them if a mask requirement is introduced mid-cruise then I apologise.

Not sure where you get that mistaken idea from. If people want to travel then they travel, and everyone needs to make their own assessment for their own circumstances.

I was offering support and reassurance pointing out that if she had a serious health issue that prevented her wearing a mask (as she indicated) that she would likely be exempt from wearing one.

And it was that point that some people suggested that people like her with serious health issues should be imprisoned onboard - so perhaps those are the people that you should be calling out and suggesting that they offer her support and reassurance. 

What exactly are you getting out of all this?

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

But this has not been P&O's policy before so unlikely to happen. You may be giving her false hope.  

It wasn't P&O's policy to impose mandatory mask wearing with no exemptions mid-cruise before, so you may be giving her false despair.

Edited by picsa

3 minutes ago, picsa said:

It wasn't P&O's policy to impose mandatory mask wearing with no exemptions mid-cruise before, so you may be giving her false dispair.

Our well-being measures are subject to change, and may do so during your cruise, as we work with experts and government bodies to respond to the latest advice. Rest assured our focus is always to protect the health and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/enhanced-health-measures

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

What exactly are you getting out of all this?

Harry, I am enjoying reading this thread. I won't be contributing. I have a holiday starting on Sunday, I don't want another one courtesy of cc.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you for the clarification on how you view the situation. Clearly that is more reasonable than how you worded it previously.  Sadly it's not quite so black and white as following the current rules as this thread and the Britannia one also show that the rules can change in a heartbeat, however I assume from your current post you support and would comply with any new ones introduced including any future reintroduction of compulsory testing and making if P&O decide they become necessary.

Of course I would comply with the rules - even when they make no sense whatsoever.

I have travelled many many times since the start of the pandemic, both on cruises and flights to other countries and throughout I have followed what the rules actually are - and on some occasions needing to change as the rules changed - the changes last December from an LFT to a PCR to a pre-arrival test, etc.

When I cruised last year did I wear a mask in the theatre and walking around indoors - yes I did, even though when sat in the restaurant or show bars I was sat closer than I was to the people in the theatre and corridor and in the restaurant or show bars none of had to wear masks. I understood the 'security theatre' of the rules, but followed them nonetheless.

However what I do not support is people demanding what they wished the rules said trumping what the rules actually do say.

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Back when cruising resumed, and mask wearing was strictly enforced, P&O made it clear that medical exemptions with regards to mask wearing were not permitted.  If you could not wear a mask,  you could not cruise. 

If medical exemptions were not allowed then, why should they be allowed now ? 

This was enforced on our Staycation cruises on Britannia and Iona last August and September.

Everyone had to wear masks and as you correctly said No Medical Exceptions and it was strictly enforced and regular tannoy announcements were made.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh goodness, so your total quarantine will have been 19 days until you board your flight.  Are you alone or is your travelling companion sharing your room ashore, I know in Italy they split families so hopefully Malta is a little more accommodating, particularly as you are a long way into your illness.

I do wish you better and hope all goes well with you getting home.  I appreciate it's not the main thing on your mind at the moment but perhaps further along you might feel able to give us an update on how your insurer handles your case and what they required from you.

My other half is here so it's fine and we have just been given our flight details for Monday when we get to escape 😆

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

5Megabear2.......... returning to your friend's situation on QV - you say she was negative during and after the cruise.  I'd be very interested to know if she was given a choice of isolating with her husband (as my husband was when I tested positive) or was she forced to quarantine with him?  Though being able to continue with your holiday alone is not really an option most of us would want to take, I wonder if, since quarantine was not mandatory for her, this is why the insurers won't play ball. If quarantine was forced upon her, then I think that the insurers should pay out especially  it's the cruise line's recommended insurers.   

Smacks of the issues you were challenging months ago over disembarkation of negative travel companions.  What a mine field!  Have you a update on this? 

The one thing that kept me going through my isolation was the fact that I was on my own. The idea of being 24/7 in a cabin with somebody else is a nightmare. Especially my late husband. One of us would have been overboard by the end of day 2.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:56 PM, s&gsjollies said:

24 hours ago we booked to go on Ventura on 8th October down Spain and Portugal for 10 days. I've come on CC for the first time in ages to get some info and stumbled on this thread

I've just got off the phone to P&O and apparently they know nothing of mask-wearing on Ventura or any other ships because of Covid - oh and there are absolutely no refunds or transfers available.

My husband and I are immune suppressed and I'm asthmatic and have had numerous chest infections since Covid at the end of last year. Wearing a mask for a long time is difficult and for this reason alone we would never have booked a cruise at this time had we been informed about the mask-wearing - would they really not know? They said there's a line about "adapting protocol to protect everyone on board" that they would have read to my husband on the the phone that covers them, but I said its a fundamental piece of information a customer should know before booking a 10 day cruise if it is a situation happening on their ships! 

(I wear one at home going into shops etc so agree they're a good thing in principle)

Any advice anyone please

If P&O say they know nothing of mask wearing then they are openly lying. We have had the captain announcing masks must be worn at all times followed by a letter from the medical officer  at Carnival telling us we must wear them. Typical Lying P & O.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Funboy said:

If P&O say they know nothing of mask wearing then they are openly lying. We have had the captain announcing masks must be worn at all times followed by a letter from the medical officer  at Carnival telling us we must wear them. Typical Lying P & O.

May I ask if, in your opinion, you feel passengers are complying with the mandatory instructions please?

17 hours ago, Funboy said:

Probably not lying, it's just that customer service are never fully briefed about what is, or can be happening on all the ships.

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Probably not lying, it's just that customer service are never fully briefed about what is, or can be happening on all the ships.

Both on board captains, medical staff and,judging by the letter we have,even Carnival senior medical people are aware of the fact. I repeat,  think P&O are openly lying.

2 hours ago, yoj13 said:

May I ask if, in your opinion, you feel passengers are complying with the mandatory instructions please?

In my opinion... yes.  Masks went on pretty much after the announcement was made.  I was genuinely surprised at the take up.  You see the odd person but that appears to be forgetting rather than rebellion.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2022 at 8:31 PM, yoj13 said:

There is no doubt about it, it is a fundamental piece of information and I honestly do think P&O are aware of the situation on their ships.  Can your husband remember whether that information was given or not but I suppose, it would be your word against theirs at the end of the day.   We have almost decided not to go, it's just not worth it.  Then when I've read that all the excursions on this latest trip have been cancelled,  well, it's just another warning  sign to me anyway.

It was categorically NOT mentioned when we booked on Wednesday afternoon (for 8/10) but when I phoned within 24 hours and I was assured what I was reading here was basically not true, I was told that they blurb about continually P&O monitoring things to keep things safe that we'd agreed to when we booked on the phone, covered them and whatever covid measures they needed to take

But Graham phoned again yesterday and said about the new instruction for passengers to wear masks on Ventura and Britannia and why weren't we told when booking? The lady agreed we should have been informed (!) but kept him on hold while checking things out. 

Graham was told the whole fleet was told that it was "recommended that passengers wear masks", not just Ventura and Britannia. Does anyone know whether this is true or not please or whether the instruction was "enforced mask wearing" as I thought I've read earlier?

We've decided not to go as we would both need to wear a mask throughout due to being immune suppressed (and would make breathing hard due to current asthma trouble). I just want to check the facts as at the moment P&O are saying they did not need to tell us at the time of booking (and did not know anyway)

We've had a lot going on and really needed a break, had a stack of cruise credit that P&O were pushing us to spend fast, and stupidly just thought about the attraction of sailing from Southampton and the lovely itinerary - probably a very stupid and expensive mistake!

1 hour ago, Red Leicester said:

In my opinion... yes.  Masks went on pretty much after the announcement was made.  I was genuinely surprised at the take up.  You see the odd person but that appears to be forgetting rather than rebellion.

I’m on board as well and this is my take too. Practically everybody wearing them when walking around. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PamelaElle said:

I’m on board as well and this is my take too. Practically everybody wearing them when walking around. 

Great to hear people being sensible.

Everyone (well most people) know mask wearing is a possibility when on the ships but it is a shame when it happens.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PamelaElle said:

Sorry I should have been clearer.  I'm on Britannia.  Masks compliance walking around is near 100%.  If you don't have any your cabin steward or reception can supply some.  We weren't told before hand we may be required to don them en route but common sense says it wouldn't be a surprise.  Like anywhere if I'm asked / told to comply then I will.

Given it's a moving beast and we weren't sure what the score was in each country we visited, especially as I like riding the public transport in various locations (busmans holiday), then I packed some anyway.  Even back home in the UK I carry one round in my bag even though I've not worn one since the mandate was withdrawn. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, s&gsjollies said:

It was categorically NOT mentioned when we booked on Wednesday afternoon (for 8/10) but when I phoned within 24 hours and I was assured what I was reading here was basically not true, I was told that they blurb about continually P&O monitoring things to keep things safe that we'd agreed to when we booked on the phone, covered them and whatever covid measures they needed to take

But Graham phoned again yesterday and said about the new instruction for passengers to wear masks on Ventura and Britannia and why weren't we told when booking? The lady agreed we should have been informed (!) but kept him on hold while checking things out. 

Graham was told the whole fleet was told that it was "recommended that passengers wear masks", not just Ventura and Britannia. Does anyone know whether this is true or not please or whether the instruction was "enforced mask wearing" as I thought I've read earlier?

We've decided not to go as we would both need to wear a mask throughout due to being immune suppressed (and would make breathing hard due to current asthma trouble). I just want to check the facts as at the moment P&O are saying they did not need to tell us at the time of booking (and did not know anyway)

We've had a lot going on and really needed a break, had a stack of cruise credit that P&O were pushing us to spend fast, and stupidly just thought about the attraction of sailing from Southampton and the lovely itinerary - probably a very stupid and expensive mistake!

I'm not aware of any recommendations fleet wide. However there is a proviso that P&O can change the requirements at any time, whether before departure or onboard.  The "blurb" you mention has been in place since the restart of cruising and is pretty widely accepted as affecting any cruise at any time.

You mention you have used FCC which you were being pushed to spend.  I assume this was approaching its expiration date which would be why they were encouraging its use.   I also assume you have already attempted to move the cruise and been told no, unfortunately if it is a recent booking on a saver fare that would be correct. 

It really might not be as bad as you believe and every cruise is differently affected.  The next sailing may well not require a mask mandate as the passengers will be totally different. I appreciate you are very nervous but do think about it carefully before cancelling as you indicate you were looking forward to the cruise very much.

On our cruise on Aurora recently we both wore masks while moving around the ship, this was our own choice. Within a week we had a letter delivered to our cabin from Carnival updating their guidelines to wearing masks etc.  Although most adhered to this and the Captains announcements I think that Covid remained an issue with the amount of people coughing that we saw.

1 hour ago, Red Leicester said:

Sorry I should have been clearer.  I'm on Britannia.  Masks compliance walking around is near 100%.  If you don't have any your cabin steward or reception can supply some.  We weren't told before hand we may be required to don them en route but common sense says it wouldn't be a surprise.  Like anywhere if I'm asked / told to comply then I will.

Given it's a moving beast and we weren't sure what the score was in each country we visited, especially as I like riding the public transport in various locations (busmans holiday), then I packed some anyway.  Even back home in the UK I carry one round in my bag even though I've not worn one since the mandate was withdrawn. 

I’m on Britannia too. Like you, we brought masks with us, I’m the one person still wearing one in Sainsburys! 😆

It’s been a brilliant cruise and we’ve loved it. 😊

• Like 5