Greek Islands 1/10/23

shyla100

Hi all I am wondering if anyone would be able to advise us.

We have booked a cruise from 1st Oct 23 for 10 days doing the Greek islands and Istanbul. I have been told that it is to late in the season to do the islands as most shop and restaurants are closed. Has anyone sailed at that time or will be sailing and can advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you for you assistance.

It will be wonderful 
Do not worry - much to see and do and far fewer tourists from mega ships. 
DW and I were on a tiny archaeological cruise in late August / early September. A nightmare of heat and crowding. This was our seventh trip to our beloved Greece but never again before fall or after May. 

• Like 3

I would far rather do October than July or August.  Similarly I much prefer September/October for much of Europe less crowds and better weather.  If you are really looking for the party crowd ala Bondi Beach, then peak season makes sense, but most Seabourn cruisers aren't in that category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brittany12 said:

quite the opposite for us. We found once into September the Greek islands have a lot of closed shops. yes fewer people but not nearly as interesting an experience.

Which islands? They vary quite a lot. And which year?

For context DW and I have visited Greece 7 times in the past 13 years and recently returned from visiting 12 Greek islands. Always wanting to learn for the next adventure!

Edited by wine-wine-wine

We just left Encore yesterday after doing the same itinerary. The weather was great, really hot in Rhodes, Bodrum and Santorini and tbh it was great being less crowded everywhere. Cesme was the only day that we found to be on the chilly side but I think that was more to do with the wind and being in the retreat for the day...we def picked the wrong day for that!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, annelouise74 said:

We just left Encore yesterday after doing the same itinerary. The weather was great, really hot in Rhodes, Bodrum and Santorini and tbh it was great being less crowded everywhere. Cesme was the only day that we found to be on the chilly side but I think that was more to do with the wind and being in the retreat for the day...we def picked the wrong day for that!

Sounds like a great time! We have been in Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes in April and late September / early October and really enjoyed it and found everything we wanted to see still open. I've heard that in those islands even November has now opened up substantially. 

Our last trip was to Bodrum, Kalymnos, Levitha, Amorgos, Naxos, Delos, Paros, Santorini, Astypalaia, Yiali, Nisyros, and Kos. I'm sure that some of the small islands like Nisyros would really close up by late October if not earlier.

We were hit very, very hard by the yellow flag wind in early September. Huge waves, tiny boat, unforgettable.