CocoBeach Club Floating Cabana Pricing

Toddcan

Our Aug 2023 cruise just started offering some bookable excursions for CocoCay.   We're treating all our of kids and their spouses to a cruise, so I've been considering getting the overwater cabana.   The CocoBeach Club ones with the full day pass have just come up to book @ $3,499.   Sheesh.  

Yes,  I know.. they will price what the market will bear, but I've never seen those priced THAT high.  By contrast, our March cruise has them priced at $1,799, which is also very high, but seems typical.   I get it - lots of variables - how many ships at port, how many pax, how many are available, etc etc.  And yes, I know there are plenty of included  (no extra cost) places to park ourselves for the day, but I'm OK with paying for something like this since there are 8 adults, and the space would be great.  But, not @ $3,499.  

Do these ranges seem typical to those who've been to CocoCay several times?  I don't have a lot of data, since I've only been once, and have 2 more booked. 

Edited by Toddcan
spelling

It's not a mistake. It varies greatly depending on ship, time of year, which ships are at Cococay, how many OTW cabanas are left,  etc.

As an example, a little while ago I saw $1499 for my Indy cruise in 3 weeks and $3499 for my Wonder cruise next June.

Edited by OCSC Mike

I think that is just what they are hoping to get — if they don’t sell at that price, at some point they will be reduced.  We booked at $998 last August a few weeks before sailing — but for months the price was $1899 approx.  Personally hope people decide not to book the various options that are so over priced, so that the pricing settles back to a more realistic range.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, happy cruiser1234 said:

The price for our January cruise on Oasis is $4750 CAD.  This is just insane.  

42FC9B90-20AC-4E9D-A9DC-03F180DF1F69.jpeg

Yup.. that's the same pricing. Ours is USD.  (I'm Canadian too)

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

Do these ranges seem typical to those who've been to CocoCay several times?  I don't have a lot of data, since I've only been once, and have 2 more booked. 

Double the highest "normal price"

Royal was literally bragging about how much people were paying for cabanas on their last earnings call:

Michael Bayley -- President and Chief Executive Officer:

"So, Fred, it's Michael. Just to add one nugget of information to Jason's comments. We've seen -- really it's been an amazing response to our software and our communication and how we've been talking to the customers about experience. And just one nugget is that yesterday, we sold one -- just one of our overwater cabanas for one day for $4,000."

Expect all of this stuff to go as high as people will pay for it.

• Haha 1

oh shoot.. here's another potential snag... might not get the visibility buried in the thread now... 

I see maximum 8 people, but we have 4 cabins booked with a total of 8 adults and 6 grandkids (aged 1-6).  I wonder if "kids" count in the total of 8 (there would be 14 if you include the infants).  

Secondly.. I see a disclaimer saying minimum age if 4 years old - not sure if that's only how they define a "person", of if there is a hard restriction on kids under 4.  

Anyone have any experience with either? I've emailed customer service. 

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

oh shoot.. here's another potential snag... might not get the visibility buried in the thread now... 

I see maximum 8 people, but we have 4 cabins booked with a total of 8 adults and 6 grandkids (aged 1-6).  I wonder if "kids" count in the total of 8 (there would be 14 if you include the infants).  

Secondly.. I see a disclaimer saying minimum age if 4 years old - not sure if that's only how they define a "person", of if there is a hard restriction on kids under 4.  

Anyone have any experience with either? I've emailed customer service. 

I’m guessing kids count as people or it would say otherwise.   I’m also guessing the 4 year old threshold is for liability reasons which is understandable.  

I can’t imagine paying nearly 4K anyhow.   You have to have a lot of money to blow to even think about it.  There are many nice places in the shade that cost zero.   I’ve booked several Sky class cabins on oasis class for less than 4K.   I can’t imagine paying more for a cabana for the afternoon.  Our next suite on Harmony for my entire family of 5 was under 5K.   Good for anyone willing to pay for those cabanas.  I’ll pass and do an another cruise in a suite for the same price.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nferr said:

Those prices are insane IMO. You can book an entire second cruise. But I understand everyone has different priorities on vacation. The cruise line is going to charge what the market will bear.

Not to mention the beach area at Coco Beach Club where these are at is not that great. 

I booked this last april for $1000, Split between 3 families. IMO, well worth it. Absolutely love it, great food, great service.  Would definitely do it again, but not at the 3K price point. 

It's hard not to think of Martin Shkreli when I see they've set the price at $3,500 for what can be about 7 hours of use.  In case you've forgotten or don't want to look it up, Martin Shkreli is the pharmaceutical executive that raised the price from $13.50/pill to $750/pill causing huge controversy.  (Before anyone chimes in and points out that Shkreli was convicted and sent to prison, that had nothing to do with this price increase.  Other than, perhaps, Karma.)

There was a great deal of outrage and controversy over the pill price hike,  whereas with the Crazy Cabana Prices, I just conclude and see it as RCI price gouging.   T

Obviously at least one passenger sees value as the executive is quoted, stating someone paid $4,000 for the single day use-- probably fighting back a snicker as he mentioned it.  There's a sour taste in my mouth, and the take-away from this is a need for me to scrutinize the price of every RCI offering that I'm truly interested in.  Now I question each:  "Is it really worth it to pay this much for this experience?"

Personally, at that price or specifically $3,500 and even with seven hours of use, as I lounged in a chair in the shade of my cabana, I'd image every 60 minutes reaching over to a pile of money on the table for $500 to pluck off the table and just throw in the water.

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

There was a great deal of outrage and controversy over the pill price hike,  whereas with the Crazy Cabana Prices, I just conclude and see it as RCI price gouging. 

Obviously at least one passenger sees value as the executive is quoted, stating someone paid $4,000 for the single day use-- probably fighting back a snicker as he mentioned it.  There's a sour taste in my mouth that takes away a need for me to scrutinize the price of every RCI offering that I'm truly interested in.  Now I question each:  "Is it really worth it to pay this much for this experience?"

Personally, at that price or specifically $3,500 and even with seven hours of use, as I lounged in a chair in the shade of my cabana, I'd image every 60 minutes reaching over to a pile of money on the table for $500 to pluck off the table and just throw in the water.

I agree... Getting away with as much as you can possibly charge might net you some handsome cash flow because 0.5% of the population might pay -is also alienating the chunk of people who would pay a much more reasonable price ($1,000-$1,500 maybe??).   Same thing on Labadee - these cabana prices are a dent in the otherwise shiny RCL offerings. I would hazard a guess that the people who pay these $3,500-$4,000 prices are not D, D+, Pins. 

34 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I agree... Getting away with as much as you can possibly charge might net you some handsome cash flow because 0.5% of the population might pay -is also alienating the chunk of people who would pay a much more reasonable price ($1,000-$1,500 maybe??).   Same thing on Labadee - these cabana prices are a dent in the otherwise shiny RCL offerings. I would hazard a guess that the people who pay these $3,500-$4,000 prices are not D, D+, Pins. 

I would agree that whoever is paying the high price probably isn't familiar with RCL and probably isn't aware of what pricing used to be.

I will also state, that while I can't think of an occasion where I would pay these prices, it's no reflection on the passengers that do.  It's an optional purchase for which they perceive value whether its exclusivity, privacy or service.

I have to believe that RCI on that day will assign one or two staff members to provide exclusive service for those guests.  (Cynically I'll add, that EVERY staff member would probably fight to be on service... just to get an up close look at who paid that much to sit in the shade.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

It's hard not to think of Martin Shkreli when I see they've set the price at $3,500 for what can be about 7 hours of use.  In case you've forgotten or don't want to look it up, Martin Shkreli is the pharmaceutical executive that raised the price from $13.50/pill to $750/pill causing huge controversy.  (Before anyone chimes in and points out that Shkreli was convicted and sent to prison, that had nothing to do with this price increase.  Other than, perhaps, Karma.)

There was a great deal of outrage and controversy over the pill price hike,  whereas with the Crazy Cabana Prices, I just conclude and see it as RCI price gouging.   T

Obviously at least one passenger sees value as the executive is quoted, stating someone paid $4,000 for the single day use-- probably fighting back a snicker as he mentioned it.  There's a sour taste in my mouth, and the take-away from this is a need for me to scrutinize the price of every RCI offering that I'm truly interested in.  Now I question each:  "Is it really worth it to pay this much for this experience?"

Lots of companies charge obscene price for this things.  I don’t care if Royal does this for cabanas.  They aren’t a need for anyone.  Many medications are and that is 100% different.  

5 hours ago, Toddcan said:

I would hazard a guess people paying that much don’t give a flying flip about being D or higher.  

It would seem odd for someone to pay that much for a cabana and not be in a suite.  So let’s assume they are always suite guests.  In that case your only talking 6 week long cruises to be Diamond.  Frankly, Diamond is quite easy to achieve.  So I’m sure many paying a lot for Cabanas are indeed at least diamond.  

22 minutes ago, topnole said:

I would hazard a guess people paying that much don’t give a flying flip about being D or higher.  

It would seem odd for someone to pay that much for a cabana and not be in a suite.  So let’s assume they are always suite guests.  In that case your only talking 6 week long cruises to be Diamond.  Frankly, Diamond is quite easy to achieve.  So I’m sure many paying a lot for Cabanas are indeed at least diamond.  

Maybe.    Obviously lots of people rent cabanas, and tons of frequent cruisers will be among that population.  But, I suspect the ones paying the top dollar ($3,500-$4,000) are infrequent cruisers splurging - or... have so much disposable income that exclusivity > value.  

2 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Maybe.    Obviously lots of people rent cabanas, and tons of frequent cruisers will be among that population.  But, I suspect the ones paying the top dollar ($3,500-$4,000) are infrequent cruisers splurging - or... have so much disposable income that exclusivity > value.  

3500-4000k for a hut over the water for 7-8 hours is more than having disposable income.  That is just stupid money and there just aren’t going to be many who spend that much unless they are used to indulging in a lot of luxurious things.  
Some of them will definitely be somewhat frequent cruisers which means they could easily be diamond and up.  But if I’m willing to spend that on a cabana, I’m in a suite and could care less about C&A status because I simply buy whatever I want.  

Sure, many could afford a splurge like that, but I don’t think many would do it when a couple could be in a suite for a week for about that price. Makes zero sense.  

It's always interesting when discussing the value of money or what a specific thing is worth..

Some people thinks spending +80K on a Tesla or a Truck is absolutely not excessive when other people says a Kia Rio is enough for transport. Then we have the people that says a Porsche is a good buy buy a Ferrari is excessive.. Another guy spends +20K on a Rolex when his friend says that the $300 Invicta watch from the Royal Promenade sale tells the time just as good..

So some would say 4K for a cabana is worth it when other would never pay that money..