Hotels near Port of San Diego

4x4bob

Searching for Hotels we have questions about two Hotels.

1. Wyndham San Diego Bayside.  Looking at map it appears to be across the street from the port. Is it an easy walk to get there while dragging suitcases along with us?  Also are they any good restaurants in the area?

2.  Best Western Plus Bayside Inn.  Would you recommend this place and why?  Also same question, are there any good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

3.  If you have a better suggestion willing to listen.

Thanks

Bob

Check the Ports of call - West Coast departures forum here on Cruise Critic to get answers about both. It’s been discussed many times there. It also has a larger group of cruisers responses beyond just Carnival cruisers. Have a great cruise!      Just saw they moved the post for you!  

Edited by oakridger

I recently moved from the high rise behind the Wyndham hotel.   Definitely in walking distance, many restaurants close by.  Personally Ash Street is not my favorite locale so the Best Western is out for me.   I would look at Liberty Station area.   Many hotels, restaurants and not so many homeless individuals.

We’ve stayed at both the BW Plus Bayside and the Springhill Suites. We prefer SH because it is literally right across the street from the pier (next door to the Wyndham) but will very happily stay at the BW if the SH is sold out or is too pricey!  

It is very easy to walk with your suitcases—wide, level sidewalks. The BW is also a pretty easy walk—further away but it is also straightforward.  It’s downhill to the port but you do have to cross over a number of railroad tracks.  I usually have to lift up my suitcase to get over the rails.

We like to walk to Little Italy for dinner—it’s about a ten minute walk from the BW.  Great restaurants.  Both hotels have breakfast with the stay—the Springhill has a much better meal!  The last time we were at the BW Bayside (April 2022), our breakfast came in a brown paper bag.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first three recommendations are the SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Residence Inn Bayfront and InterContinental San Diego. All three are in a complex directly across from the port, see the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/BoGpQafAa35Udgd86

As to restaurants, all these hotels are next to Little Italy, which has some of the best restaurants in San Diego. See the link below.

https://sandiego.eater.com/maps/best-restaurants-bars-food-little-italy-san-diego

Just back from a stay at the Embassy Suites.  Great hotel!  Friendly staff, very nice, large room, free happy hour, excellent breakfast (for a free one) and about 5 blocks from the pier (fairly easy walk, even with luggage).

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 5:58 PM, Dobby36 said:

There are plenty of spots to eat in Seaport Village or further into Downtown, if you are open to walking 10 mins or so - area is all very flat and pretty safe. Enjoy! 

Or take a pedi-cab.  But agree on a price before you get on.  

• Like 1