High Tea on the NCL Joy??

CrazyTrain2

There are snacks and coffee and tea available in the observation lounge but it isn’t high tea by any means. Just a place to grab a quick bite. If you are looking for a high tea experience you will probably be disappointed. The views are lovely though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

My kiddo loves high tea.  Is it available on the JOY?  Is there a High Tea Light on the Observation Deck?

NCL has a "Tea Time" in the observation lounge buffet each afternoon. Along with the afternoon snacks, they have scones, [whipped] cream, jam (glass sweets case). You can make your own High Tea celebration with the fixing there. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

I’m sure someone from the UK will correct me if I’m wrong. “High tea” is supper time in working class British homes. Tea time is 3pm and includes small sandwiches, scones and cream and tea.  Some ships put our scones, tea breads and cookies at 3 pm in the buffet.

The Prima has added a full teatime menu but only in the Haven.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I’m sure someone from the UK will correct me if I’m wrong. “High tea” is supper time in working class British homes. Tea time is 3pm and includes small sandwiches, scones and cream and tea.  

i'm not from  the UK (despite the screen name... long story), but it's not really about the time it's served, but what is served. over the years, the descriptions have been blurred, expanded and simultaneously eroded. what most restaurants and department stores in the UK call "high tea" is really "afternoon tea." 

a high tea traditionally includes more substantial dishes, those made from meat and fish, as well as scones and pastries and such. but what is often now served as "afternoon tea" also sometimes includes substantial dishes, in addition to the pastries and scones and such. an "afternoon tea" traditionally has scones and cakes and pastries and finger sandwiches... and that's about  it. because of the substantial dishes normally found in a high tea, yes, it often is served later in the day.

but, again, the distinction has been blurred and there is lots of cross pollination. you can charge more money to tourists for a "high tea," so consequently a lot of ordinary afternoon teas are now billed as "high tea." and this has been going on for decades.

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i'm not from  the UK (despite the screen name... long story), but it's not really about the time it's served, but what is served. over the years, the descriptions have been blurred, expanded and simultaneously eroded. what most restaurants and department stores in the UK call "high tea" is really "afternoon tea." 

a high tea traditionally includes more substantial dishes, those made from meat and fish, as well as scones and pastries and such. but what is often now served as "afternoon tea" also sometimes includes substantial dishes, in addition to the pastries and scones and such. an "afternoon tea" traditionally has scones and cakes and pastries and finger sandwiches... and that's about  it. because of the substantial dishes normally found in a high tea, yes, it often is served later in the day.

but, again, the distinction has been blurred and there is lots of cross pollination. you can charge more money to tourists for a "high tea," so consequently a lot of ordinary afternoon teas are now billed as "high tea." and this has been going on for decades.

My understanding of it is that low and high tea are so called because of the table itself. Low tea is afternoon tea because it would typically have been taken in a sitting room on the coffee table, high tea because it is an early dinner with more substantial fare eaten at a dining or kitchen table. So it actually is about the time as zippeedee noted. But many people call it “high tea” because they think the high means “fancy” when they really mean afternoon tea. But I’ve noticed places that really should know better advertising it as high tea, presumably because so many people misunderstand the terms to begin with. 

Edited by socston

Whether it's high tea or low tea in the afternoon at sea.  What is being served onboard mid-afternoon on the Joy in the Observation Lounge isn't anywhere close to what's really considered proper as served.  Not to mention, it's all DIY.   

Next time in Victoria, BC - perhaps while on an Alaska cruise in 2023 ... plan ahead and book an afternoon "Tea at The Empress" at the Hotel's historic lounge and enjoy.  It will set you back $89 CAD per person, plus GST, etc. plus tips.  Dress code should be noted and it is enforced. 

https://www.teaattheempress.com/menus/

When in Hong Kong, there is - of course, the Peninsula is well known for it but also available at a number of other high end hotels (pre-Covid) ... The Regents on the Harbour was excellent then for their high tea, but that was some 35+ years ago.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I’m sure someone from the UK will correct me if I’m wrong. “High tea” is supper time in working class British homes. Tea time is 3pm and includes small sandwiches, scones and cream and tea.  Some ships put our scones, tea breads and cookies at 3 pm in the buffet.

The Prima has added a full teatime menu but only in the Haven.

I’m sure that there is some region in Britain where that is what High Tea means, and there will be people who are prepared to argue about the terminology on Facebook in a way that makes a CC tipping thread look tame, but I think I’m in the large majority of British people who would never use the term at all. I’m only vaguely aware of having ever heard it before.

There is a growing fashion for hotels and large houses to offer “afternoon tea”, which seems to be a disneyfied version of what the upper classes apparently used to have, but seems to just be an excuse to sell a few sandwiches or cakes for vastly increased prices.

Im assuming that what the OP is asking about is this “afternoon tea”.

Like many of these things, it seems to be something which exists more in the stereotype of British life than in most peoples real life.

I, and most people I know, am as likely to have either high tea or afternoon tea as I am to put a bowler hat on before heading to work.

Edited by KeithJenner

More or less agree with Keith; afternoon tea is something that has evolved to a special occasion treat in a hotel or nice coffee shop. Includes scones, fancy sandwiches and dessert cakes.

Growing up high tea was an evening meal that included bread and butter and brewed tea. Again, usually in a hotel.