Why doesn't the Anthem T/A's get the perfect day at Cococay?

ace2542

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If Baltimore is such a great cruise location how come to my knowledge only a small Royal class ship sails out of their. Grandeour isn' it. And why has Philly never invested in it's cruise terminal?

I believe you are looking for this TA route - hurry and book - it's filling up fast!

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.55.28 AM.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

For the same reason Anthem doesn't sail on the Thames out of London.

Now why didn't I think of that....would be a great cruise for Anthem...love to see the Tower of London from on board that ship!!!   🤗

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

i don't think Baltimore could handle the Anthem?

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If Baltimore is such a great cruise location how come to my knowledge only a small Royal class ship sails out of their. Grandeour isn' it. And why has Philly never invested in it's cruise terminal?

In your first quote, you appear to acknowledge that Baltimore could not handle the Anthem, then you ask why only small ships sail there.  There is a small thing called "bridges".  Perhaps you've heard of them, there are two quite famous ones in London.  Philadelphia has the same problem, and it costs a lot of time (speeds are restricted in rivers), money (longer times in ECA's where the fuel required to be burned is more expensive), and time (longer to get to the next port), when you have to sail down the Delaware River for 8 hours.  But, bridges are the top issue, these limit the height of ships able to sail past them.  Grandeur of the Seas sailed out of Baltimore for years (since 2013), and Enchantment did before her.  At present, Vision and Enchantment are sailing out of Baltimore, both are in the same class as Grandeur.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We had planned to do this trip back in 2019 (eastbound TA we changed ito the NCL Pearl) and they took Halifax off it without any explaination and I was unawre that DC was not a port city. I assumed it was but fair enough. And I would not get off in Baltimore as I have no wish to get shot and i don't think Baltimore could handle the Anthem? And is Philly not a port city?

Philly is not a cruise port city.  At one time, it had a few Bermuda sailings, but has not for 15 years or more.  Today's larger ships would not be able to pass the bridges to reach the city.  (Same issue as Baltimore)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Why don't Royal miss out the Azores and just go for Cococay and then straight over a week at sea or 8 days at sea to Cherburg and then Le Harve or whatever?

Because the southern route Transatlantic cruises from Europe take in the Bahamas etc. The Anthem transatlantic in Oct 23 is taking in Bermuda on its crossing and that has added a couple of extra days to the journey.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 3:51 AM, Brandis said:

It even makes less sense for Wonder of the Seas TA. Our last day is in Nassau. Coco Cay would be farther north and closer to the final destination of Port Canaveral. 

And Wonder leaves Nassau in the early afternoon in order to get to Port Canaveral early in the morning. So Coco Cay would have made much more sense, they could have stayed there longer than just half a day. 

The distance between Nassau and Cococay is 64 miles, which is 3.5 hours steaming at full speed.  But, coming from the Atlantic to either Nassau or Cococay, you would use the channel south of Great Abaco island, and you would steam right by Nassau on your way to Cococay, so you would arrive 3.5 hours later at Cococay, and have to leave at dinner time to make arrival in PC.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Why don't Royal miss out the Azores and just go for Cococay and then straight over a week at sea or 8 days at sea to Cherburg and then Le Harve or whatever?

Who really wants to miss the Azores for CocoCay on a transatlantic? Can do CocoCay on just about any cruise.  The Azores on the other hand...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

Philly is not a cruise port city.  At one time, it had a few Bermuda sailings, but has not for 15 years or more.  Today's larger ships would not be able to pass the bridges to reach the city.  (Same issue as Baltimore)

The bridges as well and I believe Philadelphia does not wish to pay the funds to dredge the Delaware River to fit cruise ships.    

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

Did a cruise from Philly to Bermuda on Nordic Empress in Oct 2001 (departure moved from Manhattan to Philly due to 9/11).  That same cruise, we got caught in a tropical storm (Karen) while docked at the Dock Yard.

Also did a CA/NE cruise from Philly on Norwegian Majesty in Sept. 2009.

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The bridges as well and I believe Philadelphia does not wish to pay the funds to dredge the Delaware River to fit cruise ships.    

I never understand why folks think that cruise ships have this large draft.  Even Oasis of the Seas has a draft of 9.3 meters, while the small tanker I built in Philly, and which called at the Trainer and Marcus Hook refineries many times has a loaded draft of over 11.5 meters.  Small to medium cruise ships could easily sail up to Philadelphia were it not for the bridges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I never understand why folks think that cruise ships have this large draft.  Even Oasis of the Seas has a draft of 9.3 meters, while the small tanker I built in Philly, and which called at the Trainer and Marcus Hook refineries many times has a loaded draft of over 11.5 meters.  Small to medium cruise ships could easily sail up to Philadelphia were it not for the bridges.

I also thought one of the issues with Philly cruises is it's basically one way traffic for larger vessels.  But that may only apply further north?

Edited by Another_Critic

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I also thought one of the issues with Philly cruises is it's basically one way traffic for larger vessels.  But that may only apply further north?

I don't remember the Delaware being one way, even back when I was bringing large container and RO/RO ships in there (80's).  The pilots do, however, limit some transits for deep vessels to riding the peak of the flood tide, more to get speed than to clear the bottom.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

You'd have to ask Royal.  But what difference does dropping Halifax have to whether or not the ship should divert to the Bahamas?  Again, Halifax is closer to the direct route than the Bahamas.  My guess would be that dropping the time in port in Halifax resulted in a reduced speed needed to make the crossing, which equates to less fuel, and less expense for the line.  And, if you read your ticket contract, they don't have to give you any explanation for a deviation.  Don't like the itinerary, don't book the cruise.  

Me guesses the "Ace in the hole" is pulling your chain.  😉   

Edited by island lady

32 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I live about 1 hr northeast of Philadelphia and have heard many times on the news about dredging concerns of the Delaware and some groups keep fighting for cruise ships to return to Phila. but they just don't want to put the money into the port/dock for cruise ships.    

Edited by Sunshine3601

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

And I would not get off in Baltimore as I have no wish to get shot and i don't think Baltimore could handle the Anthem? 

Have you ever been to Baltimore?   It is a beautiful city and the inner harbor is a really nice safe area to spend a day.    

Again, if you are craving a sailing to the bahamas while you are in the US, then do a b2b on Anthem the week before the TA leaves the states.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I live about 1 hr northeast of Philadelphia and have heard many times on the news about dredging concerns of the Delaware and some groups keep fighting for cruise ships to return to Phila.    

The Delaware requires near constant dredging.  The Trainer and Marcus Hook refineries that I mentioned, just below Philadelphia, were dredging nearly every year, to keep the depth from filling up with silt from upriver.  The "controlling depth" or minimum depth the channel is maintained to, has been 40 feet (12.2 meters) for years, and is now about about 80% dredged to 45 feet (13.7 meters).  So, the dredging has nothing to do with getting cruise ships to Philadelphia, it has to do with bridges, length of the river transit, and demographics, when you already have existing cruise ports in NYC and Baltimore.

• Thanks 1

Obviously the OP is at the wind up but to a certain extent I agree with him/her/they.

Probably RCI could encourage more passengers to join the cruise if they added a “sunshine” resort to an expected low sun exposure route.

To give RCI some further advice, they would make an absolute fortune if they could also include Las Vegas as a stop to an Autumn Transatlantic cruise 😂 

10 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

To give RCI some further advice, they would make an absolute fortune if they could also include Las Vegas as a stop to an Autumn Transatlantic cruise 😂 

Much easier to tender to Atlantic City.  😉

And not too far of a diversion from Cape Liberty.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Haha 2