Non Alcoholic Wine or Beer?

Sheltielover73

11 minutes ago, Sheltielover73 said:

I'm taking my mom on the Summit out of Miami  in a Suite at the end of Oct and shes a recovering alcoholic (so so proud of her!) 

Is there ANY type of non alcoholic wine or at least beer on board? 

It will vary as to availability but on our recent Summit cruise there were three wines and at least 2 NA beers on board.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheltielover73 said:

I'm taking my mom on the Summit out of Miami  in a Suite at the end of Oct and shes a recovering alcoholic (so so proud of her!) 

Yes they have a full range of Non-Alcoholic wines by Fre (by Sutter Home).   They generally have Bubbly, White, Rose, Red and sometimes a NA Merlot.    For beer they usually have Odoule's and Heineken Zero

The waiters have a full list of NA cocktails they will gladly mix for her also.

If she is interested they also have evening Friend's of Bill meeting that are listed in the daily.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes they have a full range of Non-Alcoholic wines by Fre (by Sutter Home).   They generally have Bubbly, White, Rose, Red and sometimes a NA Merlot.    For beer they usually have Odoule's and Heineken Zero

The waiters have a full list of NA cocktails they will gladly mix for her also.

If she is interested they also have evening Friend's of Bill meeting that are listed in the daily.

This is just awesome- thank you Jim! I can't wait to spoil her! We just celebrated her 76th birthday! 

• Like 1

Just now, Sheltielover73 said:

This is just awesome- thank you Jim! I can't wait to spoil her! We just celebrated her 76th birthday! 

I can't drink as it is my major trigger for migraines so have been drinking non-alcoholic wines for about 40 years.    I personally don't like the Bubbly -  leaves a taste in my mouth I don't like.   My favorite is the Merlot or Red -  dry and flavorful.    White to me is a bit sweet -   Rose is a nice blend.  

Send my best wishes to your mother.   I use to teach a class at a local university on "Understanding Addictive Behavior"    I would have guest speakers from about every 12 step program you can think of.  They all use the same 12 Steps and I would learn so much from each of the speakers.  

One closed her share with  "It's easy to stop drinking, it's a B**ch to stay stopped".   Really put it into perspective.  

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can't drink as it is my major trigger for migraines so have been drinking non-alcoholic wines for about 40 years.    I personally don't like the Bubbly -  leaves a taste in my mouth I don't like.   My favorite is the Merlot or Red -  dry and flavorful.    White to me is a bit sweet -   Rose is a nice blend.  

Send my best wishes to your mother.   I use to teach a class at a local university on "Understanding Addictive Behavior"    I would have guest speakers from about every 12 step program you can think of.  They all use the same 12 Steps and I would learn so much from each of the speakers.  

One closed her share with  "It's easy to stop drinking, it's a B**ch to stay stopped".   Really put it into perspective.  

I'm going to share that quote with my Mom! So very true! I'm so proud daily to be her daughter! 

Best,

Aimee

6 hours ago, Sheltielover73 said:

Congrats to your Mom..as Jim noted it's one thing to quit and another thing to "stay quit"!! Be sure your Mom knows that there is still a very slight amount of alcohol in the NA brands. The saying in AA is "Non alcoholic brands are for non alcoholics".  There are a number of non alcoholic "mocktails" on board that she could try. Elsewhere on the Celebrity board a CC member just posted a very comprehensive list of all the ones she tried with great descriptions. I wrote them all down and I'm taking the list with me in a week on a T/A. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Congrats to your Mom..as Jim noted it's one thing to quit and another thing to "stay quit"!! Be sure your Mom knows that there is still a very slight amount of alcohol in the NA brands. The saying in AA is "Non alcoholic brands are for non alcoholics".  There are a number of non alcoholic "mocktails" on board that she could try. Elsewhere on the Celebrity board a CC member just posted a very comprehensive list of all the ones she tried with great descriptions. I wrote them all down and I'm taking the list with me in a week on a T/A. 

oh thank you LuAnn-- do you know the CC member who posted this name? I'll try and find it- would love to have that to share with my mom! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

I would respectfully disagree with your assertion that Non-Alcoholic brands are for Non-Alcoholics.   I found in my teaching as well as feedback from many of my students that the opposite is true.  It gives them something to drink without feeling ostracized  .

Yes Non-Alcoholic beverages have a residual amount of alcohol the level is generally below 0.5% ABV  

Natural occurring alcohol exist in many drinks and foods that people may not be aware  of and also are consumed by both Alcoholic's and Normies (Normal Drinker). 

Couple Examples -

Grape Juice   0.29-0.86% ABV

Orange Juice   .16--.73 ABV

Apple Juice     .06-.66 ABV

Burger Rolls       a whopping 1.28%

Banana (ripe)     0.2%

• Like 2

I’ve also enjoyed the Fre’ on board.  I had one sommelier pull a face in Luminae in February on Silhouette, which quite enjoyed me.  We realized that particular sommelier was REALLY pushing the sale of bottles of wine.  We had a couple of previous ones who simply poured from packages like crazy, unless the guessed asked for the bottle list.  They were great. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I’ve also enjoyed the Fre’ on board.  I had one sommelier pull a face in Luminae in February on Silhouette, which quite enjoyed me.  We realized that particular sommelier was REALLY pushing the sale of bottles of wine.  We had a couple of previous ones who simply poured from packages like crazy, unless the guessed asked for the bottle list.  They were great. 

I always get a kick at the Sommelier who pours a taste.    I kid him and say what's it going to do turn into wine.   Some nights I order Fre Red October 2022 my favorite month.   LOL    

• Like 1

We were delighted to be able to enjoy Fre' on the Apex last January.  Our next sailing was on Princess and they offered no NA options.  Fre' isn't the best NA Merlot wine; but it does give one  something to enjoy with a steak.

On 10/6/2022 at 6:33 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I would respectfully disagree with your assertion that Non-Alcoholic brands are for Non-Alcoholics.   I found in my teaching as well as feedback from many of my students that the opposite is true.  It gives them something to drink without feeling ostracized  .

Yes Non-Alcoholic beverages have a residual amount of alcohol the level is generally below 0.5% ABV  

Natural occurring alcohol exist in many drinks and foods that people may not be aware  of and also are consumed by both Alcoholic's and Normies (Normal Drinker). 

Couple Examples -

Grape Juice   0.29-0.86% ABV

Orange Juice   .16--.73 ABV

Apple Juice     .06-.66 ABV

Burger Rolls       a whopping 1.28%

Banana (ripe)     0.2%

This is very dangerous advice. While a person won’t get intoxicated from these drinks non alcoholic drinks are very bad news for an alcoholic. It’s a tease. That’s the problem.  Non alcoholic drinks are for non alcoholics.  Many people begin a relapse from non alcoholic drinks.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fang said:

This is very dangerous advice. While a person won’t get intoxicated from these drinks non alcoholic drinks are very bad news for an alcoholic. It’s a tease. That’s the problem.  Non alcoholic drinks are for non alcoholics.  Many people begin a relapse from non alcoholic drinks.  

I would agree that for some alcoholics especially in early sobriety that a non-alcoholic drink can be a tease.   It can also help make one not feel detached from having a Sober good time.    

I have worked with addicts for 40 years and know 100's that choose to have something in front of them other than water and celebrate sobriety for 30+ years.    I also know 100's that have relapsed never having had a non-alcholic beverage in front of them.  

I think it is unfair group all alcoholics into a single bucket.    Their are as many types of alcoholics as their are drinkers.   Literature suggest that the key to maintaining of life in recovery  is self awareness and self-care.  This includes recognizing signs that may lead to relapse.  One tool is the use of the acronym HALT and avoid Hunger, Anger, Loneliness and Tiredness. 

• Like 1