Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

23 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I see the Fashion Police are busy on Celebrity.  Don't you folks have anything better to do on your vacation than worry about what other people are wearing?

Why have any rules at all?  Why not allow ripped tshirts and jean shorts?

I think some folks like to claim to be egalitarian but I’m sure I could find something they don’t approve of somewhere either onboard or not.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why have any rules at all?

Indeed.

After many years sailing primarily Celebrity, just pulled the pin on next year's transatlantic.  Silver Dawn for 16 nights.

Silversea seems to be the only RCG line that seems able to draw one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Why have any rules at all?  Why not allow ripped tshirts and jean shorts?

I think some folks like to claim to be egalitarian but I’m sure I could find something they don’t approve of somewhere either onboard or not.

If you had read one of my earlier posts on this (ridiculously) long thread, you would have seen that's not what I'm advocating for.  I don't believe ripped tshirts, flip flops or bathing suits belong in a dining room in the evening.  There should be some minimum standards to keep the place from looking like a fast food joint.

That being said, it's this obsession with men wearing shorts that I can't agree with.  Apart from churches in Europe, I don't know too many places that restrict men from wearing dress shorts as appropriate attire, particularly in warm climates. But for some reason, people on these Boards seem to equate the dress code rules of a Celebrity MDR as on par with those of the Vatican.  They're the ones who need to relax.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I suspect the people who gave ancedotes about passengers being turned away and enforcement were reporting something that happened years ago, Oneof the two did mention 2012 and I do believe that did happen in 2012 but that was ten years ago. 

No, my 'anecdote' is from 10 days ago. 

There's a very clear sign outside Blu which states no shorts. If someone thinks that doesn't apply to them then that says all I need to know about that person 🙂

And to the person going on about being able to wear shorts anywhere else especially in hot climates, firstly that's incorrect. Secondly, at what point have any of the restaurants on a cruise ship been kept at a balmy 80f+?! They do have air conditioning yano. Shorts aren't necessary to keep cool in an air conditioned restaurant! 

Edited by OysterD
Typo :)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

If you had read one of my earlier posts on this (ridiculously) long thread, you would have seen that's not what I'm advocating for.  I don't believe ripped tshirts, flip flops or bathing suits belong in a dining room in the evening.  There should be some minimum standards to keep the place from looking like a fast food joint.

That being said, it's this obsession with men wearing shorts that I can't agree with.  Apart from churches in Europe, I don't know too many places that restrict men from wearing dress shorts as appropriate attire, particularly in warm climates. But for some reason, people on these Boards seem to equate the dress code rules of a Celebrity MDR as on par with those of the Vatican.  They're the ones who need to relax.

Are there restaurants around the world that don’t allow men to wear shorts at dinner?  (I don’t know.)

58 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are there restaurants around the world that don’t allow men to wear shorts at dinner?  (I don’t know.)

I should imagine there are several. We stayed in hotel in Cornwall last year & men had to be in jacket & tie. No shorts were allowed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Capital Grill I think. Here in Texas everyone is wearing shorts 24 hours because it is hot.  I would never wear shorts to a restaurant in Europe. I think you could but  it does not seem to be done. I have never worn shorts to dinner on a cruise ship in the MDR except once on Royal Carribean when we  were docked overnight in Aruba and the Captain announced it was shorts night. As one of the fashion police posted the dining room at dinner is usually chilly.Brr.  Besides long pants I am wearing a sweater or fleece. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Capital Grill I think. Here in Texas everyone is wearing shorts 24 hours because it is hot.  I would never wear shorts to a restaurant in Europe. I think you could but  it does not seem to be done. I have never worn shorts to dinner on a cruise ship in the MDR except once on Royal Carribean when we  were docked overnight in Aruba and the Captain announced it was shorts night. As one of the fashion police posted the dining room at dinner is usually chilly.Brr.  Besides long pants I am wearing a sweater or fleece. 

I can only speak for the UK but in my experience most restaurants accept men wearing shorts. The ones I have seen that don’t are ones full of stuck up snobs charging ridiculous prices that I wouldn’t want to go in anyway. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OysterD said:

There's a very clear sign outside Blu which states no shorts. If someone thinks that doesn't apply to them then that says all I need to know about that person 🙂

Hard to believe. I don't wear shorts to dinner on cruise ships but I don't really care though what you think about people who do. From your posts you seem pretty narrow minded. I appreciate creative and rebellious people. Those who think different. 

4 hours ago, OysterD said:

Do you think the same when people sunbed hog, go in the pool when it’s over capacity, etc.? And what does it tell you about those people 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I can only speak for the UK but in my experience most restaurants accept men wearing shorts. The ones I have seen that don’t are ones full of stuck up snobs charging ridiculous prices that I wouldn’t want to go in anyway. 

Where can I find these stuck up snobs?

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Ah.  One of the few honest ones here, at least.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:54 PM, George C said:

As already said the times they are a changing, but celebrity passengers are definitely dressed better than most lines like rccl , I would like a real dress code that would be enforced like the old days , not allowing T-shirt and shorts but I doubt that will happen on most major cruise lines .I love that our favorite restaurant which we visit twice or more a week actually has these standards , also no baseball hats and those who think wearing a baseball hat backwards is cool. 

It’s very cool to wear a baseball hat backwards 

( providing you’re nine years old)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OysterD said:

If you can't possibly bring yourself to wear smart looking clothes when eating in a nice restaurant in the evening then maybe find another cruise line or go on holiday in Benidorm or somewhere like that. 

I feel like a person wearing nice fitting trendy shorts is dressed a lot 'smarter' than overweight people wearing ill-fitting suits that were unfashionable 30 years ago.

The day and age where "category of clothes" defined fashion and class stratification has ended decades ago.  A lot of people just haven't accepted it yet.

My personal conspiracy theory is that celebrity has done the market research, and the purpose of leaving the outdated dress code in is so that people who get offended at seeing knees can feel morally superior, and the rebels can get their cheap thrills at defying the rules, all the while celebrity takes money from both of them to the bank.

edit: in many of the modern metropolises around the world, no one at the nicest of the nice restaurants would give a second thought to someone wearing shorts.  The class stratification is by the fact you can get a reservation and afford the food.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

I feel like a person wearing nice fitting trendy shorts is dressed a lot 'smarter' than overweight people wearing ill-fitting suits that were unfashionable 30 years ago.

The day and age where "category of clothes" defined fashion and class stratification has ended decades ago.  A lot of people just haven't accepted it yet.

My personal conspiracy theory is that celebrity has done the market research, and the purpose of leaving the outdated dress code in is so that people who get offended at seeing knees can feel morally superior, and the rebels can get their cheap thrills at defying the rules, all the while celebrity takes money from both of them to the bank.

edit: in many of the modern metropolises around the world, no one at the nicest of the nice restaurants would give a second thought to someone wearing shorts.  The class stratification is by the fact you can get a reservation and afford the food.

Can you tell us all the times you wore shorts to these “nice” restaurants?

If I decide to wear jean shorts or short shorts for men, is that ok or do we suddenly have rules again?

You seem to have an issue with overweight people.  I thought all ideas of class were wiped away.  Were you just joking?

🙁

Edited by zitsky

On 10/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, Rick&Susan said:

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines & have heard a number of others commenting on it also. Upon asking about it with specialty restaurant managers, Guest Services & the Diamond Concierge, they all seem embarrassed that upper management has told them to no longer simply, apporpriately request men return to their room to put on slacks & a collared shirt. Seems to me they're pandering to a few inconsiderate guests while disappointing many more considerate guests who'd like a classier evening experience. Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also? I don't even recall it on Carnival. My bride suggests they at least sit their party by the kitchen in a separate area. :>)

You are absolutely right and ignore every poster here who tells you otherwise. Many have adopted an "I don't care what anyone says' attitude and expect excellent service, great food, in a fine dining atmosphere, but I can't be bothered putting pants on. It's juvenile to say the least. The passengers are part of the overall experience and it really makes a difference when people can't be bothered with dressing nice in any of the dining venues after 6pm. After awhile, it sets everyone's expectations lower. I am not advocating "dressing up" as everyone here then seems to assume you are either at one extreme or another. But...shorts, baggy/worn jeans, and t-shirts that say "I'm with stupid" or some other equally sophisticated graphic or statement belong in the buffet at night.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

so anything goes if you are trim and fit...and nothing is okay if a person is overweight (as over half the world is? How very elitest of you. I'm quite sure then, from your haughty tone, that you really don't care to sailing with the riff raft on Celebrity and much prefer to sail on the luxury lines. And please...do not say that you would wait 6 months for a special restaurant experience and then show up in a t-shirt and shorts. If you do, I don't believe you. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Well not shorts, but a tank top. Pacific'O on Ka'a'napali Beach Maui provided our friend with a dinner jacket upon showing up with above. Maui is pretty lax with what people wear to dinner.

On 10/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, Pinboy said:

What bothers me ( if you didn't already know ) is the " Entitled " XXXXX and all the friggin Officers strutting around --- always with their phone to their ear looking busy-- Who the hell are they talking to? Nobody--- they just don't want to be bothered. It's All BS. 

Therefore--- nobody does anything --- because nobody cares.

Interesting.  I have always found the officers on Celebrity more visible and approachable than on their sister cruise line.  The Captain on our last Reflection cruise made it a point to say something to us each time we met and even knew our names, which surprised me.  I can't recall the last time I see a senior officer on RCL outside of the C&A Top Tier event, which I seldom attend. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

so anything goes if you are trim and fit...and nothing is okay if a person is overweight (as over half the world is? How very elitest of you. I'm quite sure then, from your haughty tone, that you really don't care to sailing with the riff raft on Celebrity and much prefer to sail on the luxury lines. And please...do not say that you would wait 6 months for a special restaurant experience and then show up in a t-shirt and shorts. If you do, I don't believe you. 

I guess you have missed the memo. Celebrity is now calling itself a luxury cruise line.

There also seems to be two Celebrity's........ classic Celebrity on Millenium and   Solstice class ships for the old folks and future Celebrity on Edge Class for a younger demographic. Edge class has more family stuff. Edge class passengers dress up less. Edge class is future Celebrity......Rick and Susan, Pinboy, Oyster, you all need to move on. Candrson seems to have figured that out. Old Celebrity is being phased out. 

Edited by Charles4515