Live from the 2022 Grand Africa

Scrapnana

Hi Kathi, I've tried to post on your blog but I'm not doing something right so thought I would try here.

I'm just catching up after returning from our 24-day cruise from Rome. I'm so sorry to read about the struggles you've been experiencing. I certainly learned the value of a walker (love that you named it "Holly") while waiting for a hip replacement. I hope the new treatment plan is a success. As usual, I'm enjoying the addition of the trivia questions to your reports. I just wish I was there to join you-hopefully no "Artichokes" around!! Thanks so much for continuing to report on your adventures. Susie

Hi Kathi,

I too tried to post on your blog but must be doing something wrong.  I will be on the Zaandam March 4th in a window stateroom.  I see you rented a fridge.  I assume you ordered it before you got on the ship.  Could you tell me where you were able to keep it and did they keep it stocked.  They always have when we have had a balcony.  We are 4 star and appreciate getting the items at half price.

I have enjoyed reading all your adventures!  Thanks!

On 12/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, Scrapnana said:

This is my last post about the Grand Africa. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was following along at the end and found myself really looking forward to your posts. I especially loved playing the trivia! Hoping your body heals quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I met a lady on the GA maybe at crafts and she was getting a Persian or Himalayan. Kitten when she got home.  I thought she was coming to get it in Arizona where I live.  She was to send me photos and let me know how it all went.  If s

you are the person and still following this will you contact me with photos etc??  Thank you

Beth David 

• 5 weeks later...

Taking the first half of the Grand Africa Oct. 2023. Any info on alternative shore excursions than the ship would be appreciated.

The safari stop in Richard's Bay was just cancelled, any recommendations on getting off the ship in Cape Town and joining a safari?

8 hours ago, Kathybv said:

Taking the first half of the Grand Africa Oct. 2023. Any info on alternative shore excursions than the ship would be appreciated.

The safari stop in Richard's Bay was just cancelled, any recommendations on getting off the ship in Cape Town and joining a safari?

Hi @Kathybv since this an old thread, I recommend that you go to the roll call for your cruise and the ports of call forum for Africa to get more targeted information.  Links below.

Africa & Middle East Cruises Q&A: Find Tips & Recommendations - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Have a great cruise!

~Nancy

18 hours ago, Kathybv said:

If my memory serves me, most of the "safari" activity is on the east coast of SA, not out of Cape Town. It is a long way across country to get to any of the major safari destinations.

Something to check out- don;'t let my own recollection be the final word.  There are other excursions of interest out of Cape Town - the Stellenbosch wine country and Cape of Good Hope.

19 hours ago, Kathybv said:

It's far from ideal but if you have no other alternative, have a look at Aquila Game Reserve.  Unlike the big safaris the animals are all captives that have had some kind of injury and can not survive fully in the wild but are still quite active.  It's close enough that it CAN be done on a day trip from Cape Town but they also have a lodge and overnight packages.  In 2014 I  disembarked Crystal Serenity in Cape Town and boarded Amsterdam 3 days later, and spent one night at Aquila.  They do offer both transfers (about 2 1/2 hours each way) and lodging.  I strongly recommend at least 1 night at Aquila (if you choose that) as the animals are most active in the early morning before the day trips arrive),  Here's a link to the 2 days of my blog involved:

https://wcmedley2014.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/day-36-monday-march-31-aquila-game-reserve-south-africa/

https://wcmedley2014.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/day-37-tuesday-april-1-board-ms-amsterdam-cape-town/

Roy

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Kathybv Have you read the posts from the World Cruise by the @The-Inside-Cabin The Inside Cabin.  They went on a safari that concluded in Cape Town. (Posts 56-59).  Very informative and an interesting read.

You can also read my blog if interested.  I did the whole Africa trip.  Email me for the link

bettty45@gmail.com

Beth