Dress code

Ja21

10 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

I'm no cruise ship designer.  I've done Oriana, Arcadia, Iona and Britannia.

Many reasons I pick P&O.  It suits my needs, expectations and has holidays to places I want to tick off.  Fellow passengers (in the main) are my kind of people and I can keep myself to myself.  And I can wear what I want.  

Seems very reasonable. Was just interested as you are debating with some of the older stalwart cruisers on the board.

Sadly I don't think the cruise ship designers will be changing any time soon so we're all stuck with what we have for now.

I know how these sorts of forums work.  I used to post on another to do with railways and that's the same.  People asked questions, I posted fact, got told it was wrong by eight people who then fought with themselves.  I never answered.  Had they asked how I knew it was as I'd actually done the work they were asking about. I gave up posting.

Unfortunately some of us are new to cruising and new to this forum, there will always be new people and always asking some of the same questions and some may have new opinions or thoughts.  Dress code is an interesting one as it doesn't bother me but seems to really get to some people.  What I wear doesn't change what my food, drink or holiday is like but does with others and I'm curious as to why.    

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

New designs!  You get my point though I hope.  

Such a solution has been proposed many times on all those lines that have formal nights.

Just totally impractical,  because there is no way of knowing in advance how many  people will be attending each venue.

And on P&O,  the queue for the formal MDR would be enormous!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Such a solution has been proposed many times on all those lines that have formal nights.

Just totally impractical,  because there is no way of knowing in advance how many  people will be attending each venue.

And on P&O,  the queue for the formal MDR would be enormous!  

Posh night last night. We went to the MDR, but wondered what the reaction would be if we got dressed up and went to the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:49 PM, dgs1956 said:

That's why I made the point about selecting a cruise line that suits you. There are plenty of people who think its not old fashioned as you put it. I absolutely understand why people don't want to dress up so why book on P&O? 

Well because you don’t have to ‘dress up’! Perfectly possible to dodge the formal evenings. Not breaking the rules at all, simply avoiding the venues which require formal attire. Still look smart and dare I say it, stylish! 

On 10/13/2022 at 9:47 PM, Ardennais said:

Well because you don’t have to ‘dress up’! Perfectly possible to dodge the formal evenings. Not breaking the rules at all, simply avoiding the venues which require formal attire. Still look smart and dare I say it, stylish! 

We dodged 3 out of 4. On Iona next year there are only 2. Doubt I will even take a suit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Seems it's not just P&O modernising, just read this article from a far younger man than me! The Times they are a changing.

https://cruise.blog/2022/10/nostalgic-cruise-traditions-being-phased-out

Wow! A seasoned cruiser at the age of 27! There’s some history in that article, and a huge contrast between old-style cruising and today’s.

I suppose we have to remember that back then it was a luxury holiday that only the fairly affluent could afford.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wow! A seasoned cruiser at the age of 27! There’s some history in that article, and a huge contrast between old-style cruising and today’s.

I suppose we have to remember that back then it was a luxury holiday that only the fairly affluent could afford.

The photo that caught my eye was the chocolate buffet which was Azamara Pursuit 2019 so presumably just before the pandemic.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:49 PM, dgs1956 said:

That's why I made the point about selecting a cruise line that suits you. There are plenty of people who think its not old fashioned as you put it. I absolutely understand why people don't want to dress up so why book on P&O? 

Because for me, and I suspect many others, there's a great deal more to be considered than just the dress code for a few hours each evening.  For example, itinerary, embarkation port, price, solo supplement, and the ship itself.

As long as someone is prepared to adhere to the dress code for the venues where it is required, why should they miss out on the main aspects of a cruise simply because they don't wish to 'dress up' for 'celebration nights'?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Seems it's not just P&O modernising, just read this article from a far younger man than me! The Times they are a changing.

https://cruise.blog/2022/10/nostalgic-cruise-traditions-being-phased-out

I do hope that the young man in question has not just travelled the world in a cruise ship "bubble ".

Cruising has many benefits, but when you are young and fit, to limit your travels only to those places accessible by cruise ship seems a shame.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I do hope that the young man in question has not just travelled the world in a cruise ship "bubble ".

Cruising has many benefits, but when you are young and fit, to limit your travels only to those places accessible by cruise ship seems a shame.

It's actually a  young woman, Allie Hubers, her info is given at the foot of the article.

She may have travelled other than cruising or there may be many reasons she has not done so, including personal choice.  Whether by cruise or otherwise, she has clearly travelled extensively and I'm sure her 4-month Semester at Sea will have been just as valuable an experience as many a 'gap year'. 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, davecttr said:

No problem. Maybe those who have cruised on Azura/Ventura recently can inform us. If it is now black tie then I will be disappointed because the Glass house was my favourite venue.

Returned from Azura last Thursday. All restaurants apart from the MDRs and Epicurian - which was open but not advertised onboard - accepted smart casual on black tie nights. These included Sindhu and you will be pleased to read, the Glass House.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you don't like flying then a cruise ships is a good choice.  I've done four cruises to Europe and not yet visited the same port twice... yet.  Won't be long.

I do fly but Mrs RL is less keen for example.  Flying also creates more stress for some in terms of airports, waiting etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Because for me, and I suspect many others, there's a great deal more to be considered than just the dress code for a few hours each evening.  For example, itinerary, embarkation port, price, solo supplement, and the ship itself.

As long as someone is prepared to adhere to the dress code for the venues where it is required, why should they miss out on the main aspects of a cruise simply because they don't wish to 'dress up' for 'celebration nights'?

I've been reading the same stuff on this Forum by a small number of people for years as how things are changing blah! blah! and Formal will be done away with. It's still not happened. I couldn't care less what people wear and I don't understand why people have to make derogatory comments about those that want to dress up. Just accept that Formal isn't going to be done away with and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

I've been reading the same stuff on this Forum by a small number of people for years as how things are changing blah! blah! and Formal will be done away with. It's still not happened. I couldn't care less what people wear and I don't understand why people have to make derogatory comments about those that want to dress up. Just accept that Formal isn't going to be done away with and enjoy your cruise.

You may be right.  And you may be wrong.  Nobody knows how things will go, but the trend is certainly away from formal, in that, as reported today, smart casual is fine in many more locations than it used to be.  And a few years back suits, as against formalwear, were in a tiny minority - not now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You may be right.  And you may be wrong.  Nobody knows how things will go, but the trend is certainly away from formal, in that, as reported today, smart casual is fine in many more locations than it used to be.  And a few years back suits, as against formalwear, were in a tiny minority - not now.

I agree the tiny minority is now a very small minority. 

As a ‘traditional cruiser’ I comply with the dress code, including DJ for formal nights. We find that the MDR menus are generally much better on formal nights, so we tend to use the MDR on these nights. However, having worn a suit for my entire working life, I now only wear them for weddings, funerals and a voluntary role where it is the appropriate dress. For me, wearing a suit or DJ is like being at work, rather than on holiday, so I don’t enjoy wearing them, but I know that friends and relatives who don’t wear suits to work quite like the ability to ‘dress up’ in one. Personally, I’d be quite happy if P&O relaxed the dress code, as long as they retain the better menus for certain nights!

We are booked on a 7 night cruise on Iona next summer. Is there just one formal night? Seems a faff to have to take a DJ for just one night. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

It's also formal making comments about those wanting non-formal, and the looks given on formal night.  It has to work both ways.  We are moving towards 50/50, albeit very very very slowly.  It'll take a generation or two to shift. 

In my office you get those who wear suit and tie, those in business casual (from what I can gather this means no jacket nor ties) and those that tread the fine line.  Officially we're business casual and that's what I adopt.  There are those that get wound up about lack of ties and put in the odd dig and moan.  As I've said before does a tie make me work any harder?  Does it improve the quality of my work or output?  No.  As I was once told, don't sweat the small stuff.

Likewise I couldn't care less what people are wearing, we're all on holiday, we all enjoy it differently and get our kicks and relaxation in different ways.  I get some of my kicks from riding the various shuttle buses whereas some people see them as a means to a destination.  I don't look down on people for dressing up and don't expect to be looked down on for dressing down.  The person next to you in the lift in their dinner jacket could be your next best friend just as much as the person next to you in (dark) jeans and polo could be.

If you see someone photting the shuttle bus it's probably me.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

I didn't say any of those things, and I certainly didn't make any derogatory comments about anything or anyone, so I'm not sure why you chose to quote my post when making this comment.

• Like 1