Start time for Disembarkation at Southampton port

shepcookie

We are booked on the May 8, 2023, Princess British Isles Cruise.  We are scheduled to arrive back in Southampton at 6:00 am.  Can someone who's been on one this year tell me what time they started disembarkation?  We had a flight from Southampton to Dublin booked to leave at 11:30, but it was changed to 7:30 so we will not make that. There is another flight that leaves at 9:15.  In looking at Google maps, it's only about a 20 minute drive to the airport.  I know LOTS of things can impact how soon we can get off the ship, but generally disembarkation is about the same time on each cruise if things go as planned.

Also, if we decide to book something from London, does anyone know why the first transfer from the ship leaves?  There is an 11:00 flight from Heathrow, but on Princess they are recommending a flight no earlier than Noon.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we try to determine if we could make either flight.

Tammy

Edited by shepcookie
Added information.

36 minutes ago, shepcookie said:

There is another flight that leaves at 9:15.

That would be very tight. Have not disembarked from Princess at Southampton but have with other lines.

The general timings at Southampton are self disembark 07:00 - 07:30 followed by priority disembarkation 08:00 and then general disembarkation 08:15 - 09:30.

20 minutes to Southampton Airport is about right depending on time of day/day of week/traffic/road works - I would certainly allow a good half hour. Then there is a possible problem with taxi availability - and don't forget check-in time. Personally I would not be comfortable with a flight before 11:00 - 11:30

Self-disembarkation, carrying all your own luggage is the earliest way of disembarking.  If you did this at 7.00 when you hit the street there are likely to be a number of taxis waiting for customers like you to immediately get in and go.  This is feasible for Southampton Airport.  Heathrow Airport requires a significantly longer taxi ride to get there and jumping in a random taxi outside the terminal at Southampton is going to be extortionately high price fare and take an age to get to the airport. There are fairly rare occasions where external factors mean the ship arrives late, storms etc.  Sometimes storms work in your favour as the Captain decides to arrive earlier to miss the anticipated storm's arrival.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I can’t talk re getting to the airport, but when we (self-)disembarked Sky Princess in September we left our cabin on deck 10 at 7:05 and were in our car in the CPS parking lot at 7:20. YMMV based on clearance by port authority etc etc but I was very impressed! 

6 hours ago, shepcookie said:

We are booked on the May 8, 2023, Princess British Isles Cruise.  We are scheduled to arrive back in Southampton at 6:00 am.  Can someone who's been on one this year tell me what time they started disembarkation?  We had a flight from Southampton to Dublin booked to leave at 11:30, but it was changed to 7:30 so we will not make that. There is another flight that leaves at 9:15.  In looking at Google maps, it's only about a 20 minute drive to the airport.  I know LOTS of things can impact how soon we can get off the ship, but generally disembarkation is about the same time on each cruise if things go as planned.

Also, if we decide to book something from London, does anyone know why the first transfer from the ship leaves?  There is an 11:00 flight from Heathrow, but on Princess they are recommending a flight no earlier than Noon.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we try to determine if we could make either flight.

Tammy

If you are flying in from USA just be aware that the Coronation of the King will be in London on Saturday 6th May.  This could affect flight and hotel prices if you have not already booked.

7 hours ago, shepcookie said:

Thank you!  I think we are going to look at flights from Heathrow. 

Factor in time for traffic and security lines.  Heathrow is huge, crowded and rivals some US airports in the hassle factor.  Think O'Hare on steroids.

56 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Factor in time for traffic and security lines.  Heathrow is huge, crowded and rivals some US airports in the hassle factor.  Think O'Hare on steroids.

And five terminals so make sure you turn up at the correct one as moving between them is tricky.

Regards John

• Haha 1

We disembarked in Southampton on Sept 27. We were at the Mayflower terminal.  Disembarking started at 7am and we were off in a few minutes.  I don't know about the time to the airport, but since we carried our own luggage it was very easy and fast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john watson said:

And five terminals so make sure you turn up at the correct one as moving between them is tricky.

Regards John

Although T1 is currently closed, so only four operational terminals. 

Sorry, pedantic I know! 😁

5 hours ago, Level six said:

We disembarked in Southampton on Sept 27. We were at the Mayflower terminal.  Disembarking started at 7am and we were off in a few minutes.  I don't know about the time to the airport, but since we carried our own luggage it was very easy and fast. 

Same for our cruise disembarking on 10/7.  

Thanks everyone for your help. We decided on a 1:30 flight out of Heathrow just to be sure we make it.  I did hear that the coronation will take place on May 6.  Ugh!  We are going to be in London for a few days prior to the cruise, and this is right in the middle of that time.  Wish we'd known that before we booked all our flights!  Good news is that we booked our hotel a few months ago!  

Tammy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nini said:

Our Blackberry Car ride took 45 minutes to an hour from Southampton to LHR. It was on a Sunday in May.

The distance to LHR from Southampton is around 66 miles.  I really don't think that your driver averaged almost 90 mph ! Taking into account the 30 mph limits around Southampton and LHR,  he would need to be doing well over 100 mph  on the motorway section of the journey. 

However,  early Sunday morning is undoubtedly the best time in the week for a speedy trip to LHR, but I would say that 75 minutes is more realistic.

During the week, all bets are off !

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The distance to LHR from Southampton is around 66 miles.  I really don't think that your driver averaged almost 90 mph ! Taking into account the 30 mph limits around Southampton and LHR,  he would need to be doing well over 100 mph  on the motorway section of the journey. 

However,  early Sunday morning is undoubtedly the best time in the week for a speedy trip to LHR, but I would say that 75 minutes is more realistic.

During the week, all bets are off !

Thanks, @wowzz. I truly did not remember except he did well on the time and we arrived in plenty of time. The OP and other comments say 30 minutes is fine. YIKES!