Halifax cemetery

beth555

We will be in Halifax next week, our ship docks from 10AM to 8PM. We already have a ship tour of Peggy's cove until 1:30 but we would also like to visit the cemetery, Titanic. I probably should have done an entire private tour but it is to late as we already paid for the cove trip. My question is, when we get back to the ship should we look for a taxi to take us to the cemetery and wait as I hear it might be hard to get one there. Any idea how much that may cost

2 hours ago, beth555 said:

We will be in Halifax next week, our ship docks from 10AM to 8PM. We already have a ship tour of Peggy's cove until 1:30 but we would also like to visit the cemetery, Titanic. I probably should have done an entire private tour but it is to late as we already paid for the cove trip. My question is, when we get back to the ship should we look for a taxi to take us to the cemetery and wait as I hear it might be hard to get one there. Any idea how much that may cost

We were their around Oct 5th and docked at Pier 21. There were only about 2 cabs waiting outside of the pier.

Halifax to Fairview Lawn Cemetery is to taxi which costs $14 - $18 and takes 5 min

They take Canadian Money...

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We were their around Oct 5th and docked at Pier 21. There were only about 2 cabs waiting outside of the pier.

Halifax to Fairview Lawn Cemetery is to taxi which costs $14 - $18 and takes 5 min

They take Canadian Money...

Do they take US dollars as well

17 hours ago, beth555 said:

We will be in Halifax next week, our ship docks from 10AM to 8PM. We already have a ship tour of Peggy's cove until 1:30 but we would also like to visit the cemetery, Titanic. * * * My question is, when we get back to the ship should we look for a taxi to take us to the cemetery and wait as I hear it might be hard to get one there. Any idea how much that may cost

You could also travel by bus from the vessel to the cemetery. Route 29 picks up passengers on Lower Water Street, one-half block north of Terminal Road (Halifax Seaport) and in front of the Discovery Centre. Alight on Windsor Street, at Connaught Avenue, one-half block past the cemetery entrance. Travel time is about 22 minutes, bus operates every 30 minutes (every 15 minutes in rush hours), cost is $2.75 adults, $2.00 seniors. Ask for a transfer upon boarding, free of charge, and return from the cemetery back to the vessel within 90 minutes for no additional charge. Detailed information here: http://www.halifax.ca/transportation/halifax-transit/routes-schedules

I'm not sure I would enjoy visiting the cemetery without a guide.  What makes the site so interesting is hearing the stories of those who are buried there. Our ship tour to Peggy's Cove included a stop at the cemetery.  If your ship tour only does Peggy's Cove, I would visit the excursion desk once onboard and ask if you could swap your current one for a tour that includes the cemetery. Who knows? They may agree particularly if it would cost more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lynncarol said:

I'm not sure I would enjoy visiting the cemetery without a guide. What makes the site so interesting is hearing the stories of those who are buried there.

Near where I reside in New York City is the Lutheran All Faiths Cemetery, where the General Slocum Steamboat Fire Mass Memorial is located. When that vessel caught fire and sank in 1904, eight years prior to the sinking of the Titanic, of the 1,342 passengers aboard, an estimated 1,021 perished in the East River, either by drowning or by being burned. I have been to the memorial solo, without any interpretation besides having read of the disaster. Hearing from historians might add to my understanding (obviously, no longer are first hand accounts possible), but I would be choosy if I did so. I tend to be skeptical of commercial tours because they are typical led by individuals paid to read from a script, rather than true historians. In that light I would be more inclined to search for individuals who could interpret well--even if done off-site rather than at the cemetery itself--as opposed to just signing up for a cemetery tour at random.

As to the Titanic, many people know that the survivors were rescued exclusively by the crew of the RMS Carpathia, whose captain was treated as a here upon his return to New York. Seven years before the Titanic disaster, my great grandfather, Basilins "Charles" Lányo, emigrated on the RMS Carpathia, traveling from his Hungarian homeland (which part is now within Ukraine), from the port of Fiume, Hungary (now Rijeka, Croatia), to his new home in Old Forge, Pennsylvania.This is my, indirect, connection to the Titanic disaster.

General Slocum Steamboat Fire Mass Memorial and the vessel itself:

TAG_Slocum_Memorial_01.jpg

PS_General_Slocum.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well everyone is talking about the Cemetery in Halifax but we on the QM2 September 23rd sailing to NE/CAN that also visited Halifax had the Special Opportunity to have a special lecture by Christopher Ward.

Christopher Ward is the Grandson of the First Violinist on the Titanic that is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Halifax.

He was very interesting with background information on research he did of his Grandfather. He had two one hour lectures to a packed ship board theater. Than held a Question and Answer session in another part of the ship.

During our visit to Halifax Christopher paid a visit to his Grandfather's grave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, serene56 said:

Im curious with the peggy cove tour?   maybe i have it confused with something else-- but is it a long drive there?    and tobe back by 1:30 ?  

Peggy's Cove is a long drive. We took it by ship bus tour last year. Quite a distance.

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Peggy's Cove is a long drive. We took it by ship bus tour last year. Quite a distance.

thank you-   i thought so.   poster said they were leaving at 10 and back by 1    that confused me

2 hours ago, serene56 said:

thank you-   i thought so.   poster said they were leaving at 10 and back by 1    that confused me

It's a nice drive with the guide giving an overview till Peggy's Cove. You See the Lighthouse. A Restaurant has a Gift Shop. The town is very Fishing atmosphere. Some tours stop by a Maple Sugar Store for a stop. And if time, a ride thru town to see Halifax.

BTW....the tour with the lobster lunch was not a thrill at all. I would rather eat in Halifax better.

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

See the Lighthouse. A Restaurant has a Gift Shop.

I have not visited Peggy's Cove. My impression is that it has a lighthouse and some tourist gift shops, and that it is promoted as a place tourists "should" go visit. And while the surrounding area is scenic, so is much of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland similarly scenic. Am I missing something? Is there something more there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTJ said:

I have not visited Peggy's Cove. My impression is that it has a lighthouse and some tourist gift shops, and that it is promoted as a place tourists "should" go visit. And while the surrounding area is scenic, so is much of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland similarly scenic. Am I missing something? Is there something more there?

To us it's a one stop deal. Photos stop. It is also not pleasant if the weather doesn't cooperate and be very rough. We only stopped in two shop. One in the restaurant and one on top of the hill.

Pls make your own choice and do your own research.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having done Peggy'e Cove on a previous visit we decided to walk to the Titanic Museum on a following visit...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

For those with no mobility issues it is a most rewarding day out in Halifax.

1709927151_RichardatTitanicgravestones.thumb.jpg.387d2e8261b937b3e9b57b0c4f97613f.jpg