The Atlantic in February

r1955

We are thinking of taking a Canary Islands cruise from Southampton in February. There are 2 days at sea getting there and back. Does anyody know what the sea is like at that time of the year? My husband is a little prone to seasickness.

5 minutes ago, r1955 said:

We are thinking of taking a Canary Islands cruise from Southampton in February. There are 2 days at sea getting there and back. Does anyody know what the sea is like at that time of the year? My husband is a little prone to seasickness.

Impossible to answer - every year will be different. Your husband needs to stock up on remedies !

Also, I think it takes longer to get to the Canaries than two days. 

Have you considered a fly/cruise on Azura, from Tenerife.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, r1955 said:

You can never tell what it’ll be like at any time of the year. More likely to be a little rougher during the winter, but I’ve had it really calm and also had a force 10. 

If prone to seasickness aim for mid-ships and start taking the sea sickness tablets before the ship departs as most are preventative as opposed to a cure.

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Crossing the Bay of Biscay can be smooth or rough.  In my experience it will be rough at least in one direction on average and that will last at least a day but might be overnight when you wake up and think what the...

Regards John

I must be extremely lucky then as I have had calm crossings, both ways, on my cruises!

On 10/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, r1955 said:

I did it once in January from Southampton & it was like a millpond.

At the end of the day,  what may have happened in the past is irrelevant. 

It is like tossing a coin. Just a random outcome.  

Like others, we have had smooth cruises, but on one occasion it was impossible to even have a shower,  due to the rough seas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At the end of the day,  what may have happened in the past is irrelevant. 

It is like tossing a coin. Just a random outcome.  

Like others, we have had smooth cruises, but on one occasion it was impossible to even have a shower,  due to the rough seas. 

It was a wee bit rough in the Bay on our Iona return on Thursday, but showering in a wet room bathroom on deck 15, I was impressed by how the drainage around the shower coped with the water cascading from side to side, there was no trace at all of any over run.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

It was a wee bit rough in the Bay on our Iona return on Thursday, but showering in a wet room bathroom on deck 15, I was impressed by how the drainage around the shower coped with the water cascading from side to side, there was no trace at all of any over run.

The problem I encountered was actually being able to stand up ! We had a shower over bath,  so no problem with drainage  - it was just the difficulty of hanging on with one hand whilst washing my bits with the other hand that was the problem !

Sorry about the graphic details just as you are retiring for the night!

• Haha 3