Back to back but a different ship

pmjnh

We are currently booked on a 2023 HAL cruise RT out of San Diego. Upon disembarkation, on the same date, we want to embark on a different HAL ship  for a panama canal full transit. We have not yet booked the second cruise because currently the logistics of getting the required Covid testing for the PC cruise is problematic. My TA contacted HAL and testing on board for this purpose is not an option (currently).

I am hoping that the testing requirements changes , but in the meantime we will have to look at flexible air flight pricing. 
Has anyone ever done something like this and found another way  to test?

What you are proposing is called a "side to side" when you change ships.  As for the testing, research one of the online testing companies, and plan to test while sailing enroute to San Diego.  You will have the results ready for the PC cruise.

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Aren't self-administered tests being accepted in most cases? you would just bring your own test(s) along and take a photo of the negative test. Do everything you can to ensure a negative test on the first cruise!

No, it has to be monitored

As Bruce said in the other thread, the requirements are changing all the time. If monitored testing is still needed as the cruises get closer -- there is a CVS close enough to walk to -- see about an appointment there?

I did flag the other thread for merging, btw.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

As Bruce said in the other thread, the requirements are changing all the time. If monitored testing is still needed as the cruises get closer -- there is a CVS close enough to walk to -- see about an appointment there?

I did flag the other thread for merging, btw.

Ohh, thank you! Good idea.

and I was trying to figure out how to delete the other one, so thanks for the merging

6 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

Ohh, thank you! Good idea.

Hmm, I may have been a bit optimistic about the distance -- I thought there was one closer. It may be a Uber ride, especially if you can't check your luggage for the second trip. BUT you do have plenty of time between earliest disembarcation and latest embarcation! Cross that bridge when you come to it!

CVS San Diego.jpg

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

OIC, it is a Rite Aid that I was remembering being close!

Pharmacy San Diego.jpg

I will check that out. We will be in SD for a week before boarding the K. It will be a Saturday so the turn around time may be an issue. I will research some more and 🤞🤞it wont be necessary!

I’m currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam on a Panama Canal cruise and the folks who boarded in Vancouver and San Diego were not required to take a Covid test. Why do you think you need to test?  Are even unvaccinated people still required to test?     ~Nancy 

12 hours ago, pmjnh said:

We are currently booked on a 2023 HAL cruise RT out of San Diego. Upon disembarkation, on the same date, we want to embark on a different HAL ship  for a panama canal full transit. We have not yet booked the second cruise because currently the logistics of getting the required Covid testing for the PC cruise is problematic. My TA contacted HAL and testing on board for this purpose is not an option (currently).

I am hoping that the testing requirements changes , but in the meantime we will have to look at flexible air flight pricing. 
Has anyone ever done something like this and found another way  to test?

The full transit panama canal cruise for this year - see voyage U275 -- doesn't require a monitored test.  It's extremely unlikely you will need to find a monitored test next year

ZUIDERDAM
NOV 17 - DEC 1, 2022
DEPARTS : SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, US
ARRIVES : FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US

Testing Requirements

• Fully vaccinated guests are not required to take a COVID-19 test prior to embarkation.
  • Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older are required to take a COVID test prior to embarkation
    • PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before embarkation
    • Medically observed or self-administered at home COVID-19 antigen test within 3 days before embarkation.
Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

The full transit panama canal cruise for this year - see voyage U275 -- doesn't require a monitored test.  It's extremely unlikely you will need to find a monitored test next year

ZUIDERDAM
NOV 17 - DEC 1, 2022
DEPARTS : SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, US
ARRIVES : FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US

Testing Requirements

• Fully vaccinated guests are not required to take a COVID-19 test prior to embarkation.
  • Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older are required to take a COVID test prior to embarkation
    • PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before embarkation
    • Medically observed or self-administered at home COVID-19 antigen test within 3 days before embarkation.

Great news! Thank you!

If it is a monitored test required, Emed is a great option ($150 for a box of 6). I carry one or two of the kits when I travel and if I need a test I can just connect online (or on my smart phone) and they monitor and the whole thing takes less than 20 minutes and can be done anywhere in the world. Has definitely come in handy on a couple occasions. That being said things are rapidly changing and it is impossible to predict that far out, in general we are seeing a rapid shift back to "normal" with minimal or no testing requirements (or even vaccine requirements) even from places like Canada that took a more conservative approach so there is probably a decent chance you will not even need the monitored test. 

• Thanks 1