upgrading drink package

1 hour ago, Texed said:

This is not always the case. Sometimes you get a wonderful sommelier. 😊

Our first X sailing in 2019 and our first experience with an X sommelier was the worst I've ever experienced.  We had the premium package and the guy felt like a condescending used car salesman saying something like "you're on a nice holiday vacation, its okay to splurge a little", "I guess it's not in your budget" and "you won't enjoy your meal as much as the flavor profiles will be off".  After we were done with him, we overhead him speak to the neighboring table, he was pushing red for the "enhanced flavor profile" BS but they ordered a bottle of Dom for their anniversary and he said "excellent choice, I'll get that for you right away"...lol

Thankfully, every other X sommelier has been far better and on my last sailing, the Millie, the sommelier would actually have a pleasant 5 minute chat with you not even related to drinks.

• Haha 1

I am not elite yet. One cruise away. I called captains club and got both of us upgraded with tax & gratuity for $230. For 12 day cruise. Just make the call.   Do not talk to their customer support. One quoted me $360 & another was 350. I knew that was not correct because my cruise TA quoted me less. 

Edited by tory707

It might be worthwhile waiting until you board and see if they even have any upgraded wine that you like.   My last two cruises (March and October) both had very poor selections and I regret paying the $ to upgrade. 
I would have been better off just paying the difference for those rare times when I actually found a nice wine or wanted a Martini.  

2 minutes ago, RickT said:

It might be worthwhile waiting until you board and see if they even have any upgraded wine that you like.   My last two cruises (March and October) both had very poor selections and I regret paying the $ to upgrade. 
I would have been better off just paying the difference for those rare times when I actually found a nice wine or wanted a Martini.  

I've just booked a 15 night Western Europe TA for next April without the drinks package.  Would I be able to just purchase the premium package for the second week of the cruise mainly for some good cabs as the supply I bring onboard will be gone by then. 

20 minutes ago, MScarn123 said:

How far in advance can I upgrade, and what is the number to call?

What is the approximate price difference per day?

Totally new to Celebrity, so I don't have Elite status or anything.

According to the website, full price it is $18 per person per day to upgrade from classic to premium.  Pre-cruise discounts and loyalty discounts (which kick in before Elite) bring that down lower.  Some people recently have even reported getting it for the old rate of $10-12 per person per day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

Decoy was available on Solstice Sept 24 cruise.  I did have to insist on it a couple of times.  They routinely pushed Celebrity Elegance red wine.   Sometimes, the pour I got was definitely NOT Decoy.   There were a few times that the wine tasted watered down.   UGH.

Evian water was not available.   Vellamo was the replacement.

Decoy is drinkable with food. There isn’t anything in the classic package I would like. I can’t imagine they would water it down, it must have just been a bad wine. 

I am not picky with water. We buy Kirklands all the time. 

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

They can be sneaky however they will not pour you watered down wine.

I agree. 

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

One thing to keep in mind, you can wait until you're on board and then pay the prorated amount based on the number of remaining nights left.  Totally understand this doesn't work for everyone but if you're on a really long cruise (just got off of the the 15 night Millie) it could save a bundle if you wait a week before upgrading.

This is just a little 5 nights girls trip. I don’t know how much the price difference would be, but I would want it right away. 

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

They can be sneaky however they will not pour you watered down wine.

I would normally agree, however, I can only attest to my experience.  It tasted watered down.  My husband thought so too.   Not even the slightest buzz from drinking it.

EDITED to add:   I won't name names or occupation, but a cruise ship employee took the almost full glass of wine I had and said "don't drink that, I will open a bottle for you."  

There was another experience at the bar that was very odd too.

Edited by AnnaNicole
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

I would normally agree, however, I can only attest to my experience.  It tasted watered down.  My husband thought so too.   Not even the slightest buzz from drinking it.

EDITED to add:   I won't name names or occupation, but a cruise ship employee took the almost full glass of wine I had and said "don't drink that, I will open a bottle for you."  

There was another experience at the bar that was very odd too.

There are many reasons for a bottle of wine to be off tasting.  They did the right thing by opening a new bottle for you.  

12 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

There are many reasons for a bottle of wine to be off tasting.  They did the right thing by opening a new bottle for you.  

????  I ordered the wine from a different place on the ship.  I did not ask for a new glass of wine nor complain about the one I had.   That glass of wine seemed fine. 

I know what wine tastes like.  I am simply relaying my experience.   

Edited by AnnaNicole

18 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I will point out that when I returned a glass of wine due to taste the waiter was upset and became slightly argumentative; insisting there was nothing wrong with the wine.  I made no accusation of it being watered down.   I said the taste was off.  And it was.  My husband's glass of wine (Decoy) tasted veery different than mine.   We were served at the same time. 

It was the only glass of wine I complained about.

Edited by AnnaNicole

5 hours ago, tory707 said:

I am not elite yet. One cruise away. I called captains club and got both of us upgraded with tax & gratuity for $230. For 12 day cruise. Just make the call.   Do not talk to their customer support. One quoted me $360 & another was 350. I knew that was not correct because my cruise TA quoted me less. 

Wow, that is an amazing price!

What number did you call? I have two numbers - 844 418-6824 and 800-760-0654.....did you speak with anyone in particular (supervisor).....I just want to get a great deal too!!!!

On 10/27/2022 at 8:28 PM, CaroleSS said:

Wow, that is an amazing price!

What number did you call? I have two numbers - 844 418-6824 and 800-760-0654.....did you speak with anyone in particular (supervisor).....I just want to get a great deal too!!!!

This is the number I used. 888-751-7804. Like I said do not call customer service. Honestly they are clueless. All that they did was take the difference between the two plans then multiply it times the number of nights. I tried CS twice then called CC. It took minutes and I was done. I did tell them my cruise TA offered me $12 a night and she came back with that price. Good luck. 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:48 PM, jelayne said:

If you are Elite or Elite + you get a 15% discount on the upgrade from the Classic to Premium beverage package but you need to call to upgrade with the discount.  In the cruise planner I saw a phone number to call internet and beverage package upgrades, it was not the Captains Club number.

I believe it was 800-722-5941.

That number was correct.  Thank you!

On 10/26/2022 at 9:49 PM, Bo1953 said:

No, it can only be done via phone to X to get the discount.

Cheers and bon voyage

Thank you!  I called and got the discount.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, 3CanadianBears said:

NCTeacher - perhaps check again with your TA? Our TA was able to upgrade for us - we are sailing in May.  

Cheers! 

Our TA referred me back to the Celebrity website.  However, I was able to call the number above and very quickly and got the discount.  It was pretty cheap too, $13.50/day, so it will be worth it.

• Like 1