Sailing with son who has T1D. Any tips?

megreedy

We have cruised many times so we are familiar with many of the ins/outs of cruising.  But this is our first time sailing with my son who was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  Does anyone have some tips, things to not forget or need to mention to NCL before sailing?

Thanks!

I thought I remembered that you can't take food either on or off the ship, not sure if one or both.  But my son has to have sugary snacks on him at all times.  So I was wondering who was the best person to discuss this with prior to sailing. 

1 minute ago, megreedy said:

I thought I remembered that you can't take food either on or off the ship, not sure if one or both.  But my son has to have sugary snacks on him at all times.  So I was wondering who was the best person to discuss this with prior to sailing. 

You can bring snacks as long as they are pre-packaged/sealed.

• Like 1

Yes, get in touch with the Special Needs (Access Desk at NCL) well in advance.

And you might want to post again in the following CC sub-forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

And browse there, as there are others with similar issues.

There was one recent post about someone who needed to keep something like little cartons of chocolate milk in the fridge in case something was needed quickly.

Cruise lines are very good these days in working with a variety of special needs (dietary or otherwise), but give them plenty of time.

Then all of you should enjoy the cruise!

🙂

GC

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

Also, I’m sure the cruise will allow you to to take a packaged lunch off the ship in this special circumstance. Make sure to contact the access desk before the cruise.

I don’t think they can make accommodations that break the laws of the country they are docking at, which are why the rules are in place. There are so many prepackaged options that one can pack.

36 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think they can make accommodations that break the laws of the country they are docking at, which are why the rules are in place. There are so many prepackaged options that one can pack.

I guess it depends on the country. It’s fine in the mediterranean. It’s probably illegal in the Caribbean, New Zealand, and Hawaii. 

I'm a T1D as well, been on many cruises. I'd also suggest contacting the access desk, they'll hopefully give you contact details for someone on the ship who can be a useful point of call if you need anything on the ship.

Cabins normally already have containers for ships in them (but if yours doesn't, just ask your steward). Don't put insulin into the fridge, they can get very cold and freeze which I'm sure you are aware makes it unusable. I'd suggest something like a Frio wallet to keep it cool instead.
Make sure you've got sufficient spare supplies with you (preferably in hand luggage if travelling by air). And I'd include a spare glucometer in that as well.
Any concerns in particular? I've been doing this for many years, so feel free to reach out with questions, I remember how daunting this all was when I was initially diagnosed (though that was, ahem, quite a few years ago!)

• Like 1

The only reason I've contacted the special access desk is to get permission to bring on diet ginger ale. We got a liquid exemption for that (I get sea sick). We stay in suites, so I request cookies to be delivered every day and request chocolate milk or OJ to be kept in the fridge.

As far as taking food off the ship, I always have glucose tabs with me. I will also pack some pre-packaged things (granola bars, etc.) to take with me off the ship. I've never had any issues, but I do know some ports are more strict than others.

Does your son have a CGM? If so, do you follow them on your phone? If so, I'm not sure if that will work. The CGM will work, but I'm not sure about the following part.

The ship can amend the menus, but I would never consider using that option (I've been doing this for 38 years). If that is something you are interested in, the special needs department can help with that as well. We've dealt with special needs when my husband did dialysis on the ship and they were great to work with.

The only thing I'd add to what thedarklord just wrote is... for any meds, don't "preferably" take them in hand luggage, DEFINITELY bring them in hand-carried luggage... and keep your eyes (and hands) on that at all times while in transit.

This is something you do *not* want to have go missing.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

The only thing I'd add to what thedarklord just wrote is... for any meds, don't "preferably" take them in hand luggage, DEFINITELY bring them in hand-carried luggage... and keep your eyes (and hands) on that at all times while in transit.

This is something you do *not* want to have go missing.

GC

Also, always check that your medicines are still with your hand luggage after it’s gone through security. We had an off brand epipen removed by TSA, and didn’t notice until we arrived in Florida. Fortunately, we were able to pick up a new one at the pharmacy, 

Hi - we have traveled with our T1 quite a few times.  I always bring a note from the doctor with a list of items we must have including juice boxes and prepacked snacks.  I always reach out to the special needs desk and request a working fridge for insulin and a sharps container.  We have always received both.  Not sure how old your child is but we have had hick ups in the kids club.  They generally don't let them carry there supply bag but after a talk with the supervisor they have kept it on a desk in case my daughter needed it. But it is not secure.  They have also always given me a cell phone to use on board while she is at the club in case they needed to contact me while she is checked in.

I always suggest bringing way more then you need of all supplies.  You don't want to be stranded with out them. If your child is on a CGM or Pump bring patches, for the amount of time they are sweating or in the water we always have backup patches.

Be prepared to SWAG - they won't have carb counts for anything not prepacked.  But we just let her run a little high and assume that all of the activity will help even her out.

When are you sailing?  We just booked a spring break cruise on the Encore and always love meeting other families.

2 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

Also, always check that your medicines are still with your hand luggage after it’s gone through security. We had an off brand epipen removed by TSA, and didn’t notice until we arrived in Florida. Fortunately, we were able to pick up a new one at the pharmacy, 

We always insist that one of us be present and watching if anyone at TSA goes through anything.  Occasionally, that means a separate private room (at *my* request), but usually they know what shape and location "thing" they are looking for, from the scan.  Turns out a bar of Dove soap got everyone all bothered - who knew!?

There is no way we could risk having certain of the meds get left behind, lost, or whateve.  Otherwise, we might be heading to an ER at some point or maybe just home.  Not good.

GC

18 hours ago, megreedy said:

We have cruised many times so we are familiar with many of the ins/outs of cruising.  But this is our first time sailing with my son who was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  Does anyone have some tips, things to not forget or need to mention to NCL before sailing?

Thanks!

Perhaps it might be a good idea to discuss with your son's doctor?

We take factory packaged granola bars and snack crackers everywhere we go.  We have had no problems, and have passed the dog sniffing test.  I take packages I have bought at my store and then take out a few to place in a zip lock bag in my purse or backpack.  Never try to take fresh fruit off or on the ship.

• Like 1

I love this topic as we are also cruise veterans, but my 13-year-old daughter was diagnosed with T1D about five months ago.  We leave for a 14-day cruise next Sunday and are both excited and nervous.  My daughter is on a CGM (Dexcom G6) and an insulin pump (Omnipod 5).  Without WiFi for her AND one parent we will not be able to track her glucose levels.  Before her pump this was a big concern for me but with her pump adjusting her basil insulin when she goes low, I am feeling much better.  If your son is not on a CGM and an insulin pump (especially the newer ones that communicate directly with the CGM) you might want to investigate them as my comfort level has gone up tremendously because of it.

As far as food, get a free month subscription to a food tracking app.  We are using Lose It and with the subscription she can track her macros.  It won't have all foods offline (without Wi-Fi if you don’t buy it) but seems to have a lot.  We also bought the Calorie King book as a backup for carb macros.  It won't be perfect but better than random swags.

As far as the Access Deck they were good for a Sharps container and allowance to bring on juice but did not find much other value in them.  Their solution was to look for the no-sugar added items, which may work for T2D but as you know T1D is very different.

Edited by lisa928