Is high tech making a new class system ,I think so .

dolittle

On 10/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, dolittle said:

Many new ships are laden with apps for almost everything from getting on the ship to dinner reservations even now ordering you meals even in the buffet. I know many like this and it can make SOME things easier but for some of us it is just a pain. For me part of getting away is getting away from tech, social media and phones (the wired kind too). I know there are some of like me I don't know how to deal with this this on board. I do think it is making a tech class system and those who do not partake in these apps will lose out on many things . What do you think and what class are you in.

I'm going back to the original question.   Right now folks are able to opt out of using apps on board. I think that will change in the near future and the only option will be to use the new technology.  I just don't see this as creating a class system.  It is just a new way of doing things.   Some people like it, some don't.  

What class am I in?  I enjoyed cruise vacations using the old system and will continue to enjoy them using the new system.   

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not feel that the addition of intervening electronic filters enhances human interaction —- but I agree:  they are certainly doing it differently.

This is a quote I found about one person's reaction to a new high tech invention.

"It is my heart-warmed and world-embracing Christmas hope and aspiration that all of us, the high, the low, the rich, the poor, the admired, the despised, the loved, the hated, the civilized, the savage (every man and brother of us all throughout the whole earth), may eventually be gathered together in a heaven of everlasting rest and peace and bliss, except the inventor of the ____________."  

That was Mark Twain in 1890 and he was talking about the telephone. Nothing new here. 

Back when Twain made that comment life expectancy in the U.S. was about 44 years. Today it's about 79 years. How do it grow so much? Technology. Technology that improved medicines, better surgical technologies, Technologies that improved public health, sanitation etc. And what do we do with that extra 35 years? We complain about new Technologies of course.  

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 7

As an IT professional, I'm totally fine with using 'Apps' on board. But on my recent cruise, the Viking app was frustrating in many ways. Information viewable on the in-room TV was not always available on the App. And the App could not connect over a public network (ie, when you were off-ship, in port). While on the ship, I frequently got a message saying I was not connected, but I was - I could access google and other sites just fine. 

The clear issue for me is one of design; the App seemed like an afterthought - something they threw together as a way to 'keep up' with other cruise-lines, perhaps. If the App were well designed and more functional, I would fully embrace it. Basically, they need to spend more time/money on developing it! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So Princess institutes their Medallion and takes all functionality off of their personalizer. And then the multiple glitches happen and the complaints occur and their phone lines are tied up with callers who are trying to make it work. And finally they reinstitute the functionality of the personalizer.

Why did they take away that functionality in the first place when they instituted their new technology (obviously without adequately testing it)? Because they like you say technology, you must go with it no matter what.

They saw what they wanted to see, and disregarded all the problems with their new technology!

non se·qui·tur

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

What you don't get is that this branch of the discussion has nothing about the technology on ships but how people are criticized on this board for wanting to use their technology far more than people who choose not to..  Which is why both your replies to me are non sequiturs.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:13 AM, Markanddonna said:

It was automatic.  Our dining companions were under 65 and didn't have paper copies. We didn't request them (we're over 65) but used our phones onboard.  We certainly appreciated the paper copies, though. I enjoy looking at those in the evening to prepare. 

Sounds ageist.  As an over 65 I would feel insulted.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:45 AM, Charles4515 said:

One of the mysteries of life  to me was when I moved from the DC area to Texas about year ago was that almost  every restaurant here had a QR code on the table that I had to use and access the menu on my smartphone. (that has lightened up a lot lately)  It  did take me a couple weeks to adjust as we get into routines but I did.  Maybe I have brain fog  but I don't recall QR code menues in DC. I had known my phone camera read QR codes but I gad never used it. Now it is second nature. Also in the DC area there were regulations that restaurants had to accept cash. The idea being that not everyone had a credit card or debit card. Here there are quite a number of cashless places. 

The QR trend was greatly accelerated because of the difficulties in sanitizing physical menus when restaurants started re-opening.

26 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

non se·qui·tur

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

What you don't get is that this branch of the discussion has nothing about the technology on ships but how people are criticized on this board for wanting to use their technology far more than people who choose not to..  Which is why both your replies to me are non sequiturs.

I believe I had previously put you on my ignore list. I don't know why I undid that, but now I will restore that.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We all know that everything knew and improved is just wonderful. The New and Improved Real Love Boat will surely grace out tv screens longer than the original. Oh wait, CBS already cancelled it. 🤦‍♂️🤣

When you experience true oppression, come back and talk to us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And yet another condescending post to anyone who makes a different choice.

Not because of a different choice at all.   And certainly not because you lack knowledge.   You should choose to do whatever makes you happy.  I was pointing out what I saw as a conflict with your statement about others lacking critical thinking skills, especially when it comes to dealing with change.   If you propose an "if it ain't broke" philosophy for not adopting new tech that others enjoy,  it is reasonable to expect that those who disagree are going to respond.   

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Sounds ageist.  As an over 65 I would feel insulted.

I'm over 65.  On our cruise earlier this month we received the paper copies.  We didn't need them or ask for them.  Never occurred to me that they were provided because of my age.  If true, I don't care and take no offense.  It is not of concern other than I had to move them from the desk to the trash can.     

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not feel that the addition of intervening electronic filters enhances human interaction —- but I agree:  they are certainly doing it differently.

And yet we are all sharing our thoughts on this electronic media.  The fact we can share with others is an enhancement I think.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

And yet we are all sharing our thoughts on this electronic media.  The fact we can share with others is an enhancement I think.  

If only that Gutenberg hadn’t invented that damnable printing press, he should have left well enough alone 😉

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Back when Twain made that comment life expectancy in the U.S. was about 44 years. Today it's about 79 years. How do it grow so much? Technology. …

Of course life expectancy in the US peaked in 2017 and has been declining slightly each year since then.

Do you suppose it might be too much of a good thing?

Edited by navybankerteacher

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course life expectancy in the US peaked in 2017 and has been declining slightly each year since then.

Life expectancy has increased due to a decrease in infant and childhood mortality.  If you removed the first 15 years of life expectancy rates jump up. So the good thing is prenatal care and vaccinations not so much any other change in behavior or technology.  

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Canada's life expectancy continued to increase until 2020 when the Pandemic caused it to decrease a half a year from 82.3 years in 2019 to 81.7 years. Interesting fact, as the U.S.'s life expectancy continued to fall in 2021 Canada's and other 'peer countries' life expectancy rebounded slightly. And we have f---book, tik--- and the twit bird too, unfortunately.  :classic_sad:  So these technologies may not be the sole cause of your country's declining life expectancy. 

Edit.

But those darn Roomba's might cause a decline in my life expectancy. Mrs. Dawg has two of them. One for vacuuming and one mops the floors. And both just attacked me while I was making coffee! I swear, they know when I'm in the kitchen early in the morning and make a bee line straight to me! 🙂 Elon must be behind this somehow!

Edited by DirtyDawg

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Canada's life expectancy continued to increase until 2020 when the Pandemic caused it to decrease a half a year from 82.3 years in 2019 to 81.7 years. Interesting fact, as the U.S.'s life expectancy continued to fall in 2021 Canada's and other 'peer countries' life expectancy rebounded slightly. And we have f---book, tik--- and the twit bird too, unfortunately.  :classic_sad:  So these technologies may not be the sole cause of your country's declining life expectancy. 

Two things - infant mortality rates.  https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/field/infant-mortality-rate/country-comparison

Suicide, homicide, Covid, diabetes make up much of the cause of increase, not technology https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2021/202107.htm

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Life expectancy has increased due to a decrease in infant and childhood mortality.  If you removed the first 15 years of life expectancy rates jump up. So the good thing is prenatal care and vaccinations not so much any other change in behavior or technology.  

But, in spite of the decrease in infant and childhood mortality, overall life expectancy is now declining—- which seems to indicate that, once we are old enough to be responsible for our own health, we are not doing as well as put predecessors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

But, in spite of the decrease in infant and childhood mortality, overall life expectancy is now declining—- which seems to indicate that, once we are old enough to be responsible for our own health, we are not doing as well as put predecessors.

I cited the CDC study above as well as valid infant mortality rates if you are interested.  We are definitely not doing as well as we were 10 years ago