Dunedin buses

2 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Cruise passengers at Port Chalmers filled up the local buses.  You would think there would be cruise shuttles organised by Celebrity

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cruise-ship-passengers-in-dunedin-use-public-buses-as-cheaper-option-causing-havoc/UA4C33LALVDPRFMPAIIENSFV2E/

I think there were cruise ship arranged shuttles, for a fee, which many found exorbitant, so chose to use the public bus instead, putting the normal bus service under pressure 💰

• Like 1

There is a spur rail line that runs right into Port Charmers port.

You would think given the value of the tourist to the area they could have run a train shuttle to the port for the cruise ships porting there.

1 minute ago, Ozwoody said:

There is a spur rail line that runs right into Port Charmers port.

You would think given the value of the tourist to the area they could have run a train shuttle to the port for the cruise ships porting there.

The article quoted above mentions the train being used to take passengers into Dunedin, but I have never seen that happen. The only train I have ever seen in the wharf is the one that goes to Taieri Gorge. When we have been in NZ, the shuttle bus cost $15 return. Maybe the price was higher this time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The article quoted above mentions the train being used to take passengers into Dunedin, but I have never seen that happen. The only train I have ever seen in the wharf is the one that goes to Taieri Gorge. When we have been in NZ, the shuttle bus cost $15 return. Maybe the price was higher this time.

Unfortunately they are not running people trains to the port. 

"Port Otago chief executive Kevin Winders said it was “desperately advocating” for the passenger rail to return for cruise passengers".

According to someone interviewed shuttles where costing between $20 to $77, $77s a bit steep by my reckoning.

As I said given the value to NZ you would think they would support Mr Winders.

There's going to be a lot of ships heading there, if they don't do something, there's going to be a lot of upset locals.

10 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Unfortunately they are not running people trains to the port. 

"Port Otago chief executive Kevin Winders said it was “desperately advocating” for the passenger rail to return for cruise passengers".

According to someone interviewed shuttles where costing between $20 to $77, $77s a bit steep by my reckoning.

As I said given the value to NZ you would think they would support Mr Winders.

There's going to be a lot of ships heading there, if they don't do something, there's going to be a lot of upset locals.

The comment 'passenger rail to return for cruise passengers' puzzles me. I don't think the trains were ever available for cruise passengers (except for the ship's excursion to Taeiri Gorge).

I would pay $20 return for a shuttle bus, but $77 is ridiculous.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The comment 'passenger rail to return for cruise passengers' puzzles me. I don't think the trains were ever available for cruise passengers (except for the ship's excursion to Taeiri Gorge).

I would pay $20 return for a shuttle bus, but $77 is ridiculous.

We’ve paid $20 ret each time for shuttle bus, but only ever have done princess cruises so not sure about other lines. 

Another Herald report on excessive cost of cruise ship shuttle service:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/opinion-christchurchs-shameful-welcome-for-cruise-passengers/UAT2CCGRVJB6LKKLK6BK3AHV3M/

On a visit to Tasmania Burnie township put on free shuttle buses for tourists, and not only that, they had pick-up and drop-off at three different locations, both shopping district and tourist spots. We could learn a lot from them, although I guess it boils down to the fact that no one wants to foot the bill 🤔

• Like 4

That's been a problem in Port Chalmers for years, and it sounds like it will be the same in Lyttleton. Unfortunately Celebrity charges everything in USD so the exchange rate makes it very expensive.

What we've found in Australia so far:

Brisbane was a mess the two times we stopped there. One stop had no shuttles, the other had limited shuttles at $40 return. I'm not sure if you booked those through Princess or what.

Airlie Beach had shuttles $5 pp return paid to the driver.

Darwin had shuttles, $20 pp return, tickets bought in the cruise terminal. 

Broome had free shuttles.

• Like 1

I caught the bus many times over the years. Also caught the shuttle. 

However, you think Dunedin (and I used to live there in my teenager years) could coordinate one train service  each way at set time.

Can't be that hard to sort out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I caught the bus many times over the years. Also caught the shuttle. 

However, you think Dunedin (and I used to live there in my teenager years) could coordinate one train service  each way at set time.

Can't be that hard to sort out.

Or put on extra public buses when a ship's in town - some drivers/relief drivers might appreciate the extra income 🤔

• Like 2

When you are paying thousands for a cruise, having to pay $20 for a shuttle from Port to town is a non event.  Some places we have been on free shuttles but in recent years it is  user pay. 

In USA, both in Hawaii and mainland US, places like Walmart often have a free  bus or two taking pax from the ship to the city/town, drop off at their store of course,  fine with that.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

So. The locals complain when there are no tourists coming to spend their money in town.

When the tourists DO come, they complain that their bus is full.

But that's not only  a kiwi problem....

Hey, Dunedin tourist board.

You guys know when the ships come.

You know how many passengers they carry.

You know that at least half of them will need to get into your little town independently. 

How hard is it to organise a shuttle schedule for free or a modest fee?

Just now, NSWP said:

When you are paying thousands for a cruise, having to pay $20 for a shuttle from Port to town is a non event.  Some places we have been on free shuttles but in recent years it is  user pay. 

In USA, both in Hawaii and mainland US, places like Walmart often have a free  bus or two taking pax from the ship to the city/town, drop off at their store of course,  fine with that.

I don't mind paying AU $20 for a shuttle but when the cruise line charges more than that and in USD it can get expensive so has to be budgeted for like any other shore excursion. The problem is that sometimes you don't know the costs before the cruise so it can screw up your budget.

Just now, buchhalm said:

So. The locals complain when there are no tourists coming to spend their money in town.

When the tourists DO come, they complain that their bus is full.

But that's not only  a kiwi problem....

Hey, Dunedin tourist board.

You guys know when the ships come.

You know how many passengers they carry.

You know that at least half of them will need to get into your little town independently. 

How hard is it to organise a shuttle schedule for free or a modest fee?

Essentially that's what Darwin does. Not free but not expensive either. 

In Dubai one of the small shopping centres (by their standards, good size by us) had a free shuttle from port to their centre running all day about an hour apart.

We use to use it and then got a taxi from there to where we wanted to go and back, worked out much cheaper, and the centre benefitted from it too as people went somewhere they wouldn't have but found it was a great place to visit.

Now if other places around the world could realise this they may find a higher turn over of tourist to spend money there. (Wishful thinking maybe???)😁

Edited by Ozwoody

Just now, Ozwoody said:

In Dubai one of the small shopping centres (by their standards, good size by us) had a free shuttle from port to their centre running all day about an hour apart.

We use to use it and then got a taxi from there to where we wanted to go and back, worked out much cheaper, and the centre benefitted from it too as people went somewhere they wouldn't have but found it was a great place to visit.

Now if other places around the world could realise this they may find a higher turn over of tourist to spend money there. (Wishful thinking maybe???)😁

I think Hong Kong had something similar - a free shuttle to a shopping mall attached to a MTR station. 

• Like 1

Along a similar line.

I had confirmation from the operator of the Taieri Gorge train yesterday that they will be operating the trains. Tours are 5 hours from/to the port. They suggested to book via the ship.

I am waiting for a reply to my question if that tour can be booked directly via THEM (the operator), as I don't fancy paying the ships mark-up.

• Like 1

I can understand free shuttles to shopping centre's, presumably paid for by the shopping centre itself. For a township to put a shuttle on for tourists into town, it would probably be paid for from general rates. Although some businesses would benefit, local residents and other businesses that wouldn't directly benefit would be contributing to it. The government also gets the GST take from any spending by passengers so it sounds great in theory but not so good for the average Joe who gets nothing from it 🤔

7 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I can understand free shuttles to shopping centre's, presumably paid for by the shopping centre itself. For a township to put a shuttle on for tourists into town, it would probably be paid for from general rates. Although some businesses would benefit, local residents and other businesses that wouldn't directly benefit would be contributing to it. The government also gets the GST take from any spending by passengers so it sounds great in theory but not so good for the average Joe who gets nothing from it 🤔

Well there would be the tourists happy smiling faces, waving cheerfully at them as they past by.😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I thought Kiwis were generous people, lol. The shuttle cost could be taken from the Dunedin Council Tourist Budget.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I thought Kiwis were generous people, lol. The shuttle cost could be taken from the Dunedin Council Tourist Budget.

I hadn't thought of that - great idea.

I don't know what it's like in Australia re rates but many, many years ago councils here decided that businesses shouldn't pay higher rates than private residences, so I guess it grates a bit for people who struggle financially when councils want to sponsor various tourist events to benefit the town/city when all they'll get from it is warm fuzzies 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I hadn't thought of that - great idea.

I don't know what it's like in Australia re rates but many, many years ago councils here decided that businesses shouldn't pay higher rates than private residences, so I guess it grates a bit for people who struggle financially when councils want to sponsor various tourist events to benefit the town/city when all they'll get from it is warm fuzzies 🤔

I live in a tourist town, closest coast to Canberra, so we get plenty of tourists. Most of the businesses in Batemans Bay are members of and contribute to local Chamber of Commerce, who in conjunction with Council Tourism finance some events.  We have had a few small cruise ships in here  (by water shuttle) over the years, largest being The World and Volendam, I worked as a meeter and greeter. Buses were put on gratis to pax to take some pax to the Mogo Zoo, golf course, other beaches etc.  Certainly the local businesses made some $, but as you say the locals who were not in business did not.

Edited by NSWP