Dunedin buses

32 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The Seasider has an optional drop off at Port Chalmers. We did that tour Dec 2017 and got off at Port Chalmers however it is a steep, but pleasant,  downhill walk back to the ship.

Yes our friends took that option on our Nov 2018 NZ cruise. But as it is only running once a month on a weekend, there is only one day where there is a ship in port.

While I agree that the train company webpage lists it for the Quest visit on 29th Jan, it's not (and as far as I can tell has never been) offered by Azamara for that cruise, so there is no way to book it via the ship.

I believe others on the cruise plan to do as we will and travel into Dunedin early enough to catch the train from there. My initial interest in this thread was to investigate travel options and timings. The ship is due to dock at 7:30am, so we should be OK.

Interesting about the optional drop off at Port Chalmers on the Seasider.

For those wondering, I can confirm that the train does actually exist. We saw it preparing to depart Dunedin Railway Station just before 10am on Tuesday.

Passengers on the Grand reported that they booked the excursion through the ship. They had to shuttle into Dunedin to take the train, the train did not come out to Port Chalmers like it did in the past.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

They had to shuttle into Dunedin to take the train, the train did not come out to Port Chalmers like it did in the past.

I just booked this train for the Coral cruise next month.  I balked at the $300pp vs $60 for non-cruise excursions, but I thought hey it may not be running for much longer but at least it picks you up at the port. 😡

So much for that.

43 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I booked it too, Sinbad, but it was $200, not $300.  Will be disappointed if it doesn't start down at the port.

Just under AUD 500 for Celebrity (including a city tour) not much less without the city tour.

🤬🤬🤬💩💩

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like the goose with the golden egg.  Instead of a unique experience catching the train from the wharf, it is now an overpriced train trip from the city. 

Very true.

With all the sympathy I can muster, I am nevertheless 🤬 off.

There will be plenty of people who will pay these extortionate prices, because the cruise lines count on people wanting to the "once in a lifetime " thing. 

For those of you who ARE  still going on that train ride, a Kiwi friend strongly recommend to RUN 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️ for the train and grab a window seat on the RIGHT  side (the locomotive in front)

5 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Very true.

With all the sympathy I can muster, I am nevertheless 🤬 off.

There will be plenty of people who will pay these extortionate prices, because the cruise lines count on people wanting to the "once in a lifetime " thing. 

For those of you who ARE  still going on that train ride, a Kiwi friend strongly recommend to RUN 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️ for the train and grab a window seat on the RIGHT  side (the locomotive in front)

On the trip we did, all seats were allocated prior to boarding the train. I don't think it matters which side your seat is on, there is magnificent scenery to see on both sides.

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

On the trip we did, all seats were allocated prior to boarding the train. I don't think it matters which side your seat is on, there is magnificent scenery to see on both sides.

That makes it even LESS attractive 

35 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Well, people who happen to be allocated window seats are unlikely to give them up and keep them for going and coming back.

Unlike on an aeroplane,  you've got good views from non-window seats as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Well, people who happen to be allocated window seats are unlikely to give them up and keep them for going and coming back.

My husband sat beside the window and I was on the aisle. The windows are large and everyone gets a good view. When we did the trip, you were also able to stand out on the viewing platform on the carriages and take photos. 

The Taieri Gorge Railway | davidlansing.com

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, arxcards said:

The train never did operate a daily service, alternating between two different routes. The day we did the tour some years ago, it wasn't available on their website, and the train coasted through Dunedin station. On days of a scheduled service, you could book via their site and catch the train in Dunedin after a hasty taxi ride from the port to the station.

Yes, there are extra dollars, but it is a worthwhile tour. If it is still the same, your extra money includes some wine & snacks and a volunteer guide in each car offering a wealth of local information. Our guide reminded me of John Cleese, and was one of the highlights of the day.

Just booked this train journey through Cunard for our January cruise.  The offer includes lunch of some description aboard (sandwiches, etc. I think, which is fine by us).  A close friend who did it a few years ago said it's spectacular.  If we don't go, we'll never ever know...

• Like 5

I just looked up details from my trip in Dec 2018 on Celebrity Solstice.

The charge was A$268.75 (at that time that was approx. US$206). Train only but from and back to the ship and the train went as far as Pukerangi.

I had lots of OBC on that trip so made good use of it. Even though the weather was not the best that day, it was still a great experience and I'm glad I got to do it.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 2:40 AM, Relaxing Robbies said:

Grand Princess was at Port Chalmers today and we bussed into Dunedin. Princess organised expensive shuttles $35 return or $20 one way. We took a minibus shuttle provided by a local tour company. $5 into town, just turn up and pay the driver, departed from near the local bus stop.We caught the local bus back to the ship. $1.50 for the trip, pay the driver. The buses are hourly during the day and there was a long queue of cruise passengers waiting. Many people didn’t fit on the bus, so they sent another bus 10 minutes later. All cruise passengers on the second bus, so it was a quick trip with no other stops before Port Chalmers.

Dunedin turned on great weather for us.

Any idea whether any bus options (shuttle, mini or city) are wheelchair accessible?  In other words do they have loading ramps?

Thanks in advance, as we'll be in Dunedin 4 times in 2023 aboard the Celebrity Eclipse.

52 minutes ago, coldcdn said:

Any idea whether any bus options (shuttle, mini or city) are wheelchair accessible?  In other words do they have loading ramps?

Thanks in advance, as we'll be in Dunedin 4 times in 2023 aboard the Celebrity Eclipse.

Hi, here's a link to the Council's (Otago Regional Council) website re wheelchair accessibility on buses -

https://www.orc.govt.nz/public-transport/accessible-travel

Looks positive but with a caveat.  I've riden on Auckland buses that "kneel" and the driver manually adds plates to act as a ramp. I think most of the country's bus fleet "kneel" (it does in Whangarei) but I've not seen any wheelchair users board so can't vouch that plates are also used. I can phone them for you during the week if that's helpful?

59 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi, here's a link to the Council's (Otago Regional Council) website re wheelchair accessibility on buses -

https://www.orc.govt.nz/public-transport/accessible-travel

Looks positive but with a caveat.  I've riden on Auckland buses that "kneel" and the driver manually adds plates to act as a ramp. I think most of the country's bus fleet "kneel" (it does in Whangarei) but I've not seen any wheelchair users board so can't vouch that plates are also used. I can phone them for you during the week if that's helpful?

Thank you so much!!

That would be very helpful, as I was just looking up contact information to email but it's so easy for those not to be returned.  We'd also be interested if the buses on the Port Chalmers to/from Dunedin are wheelchair accessible, if you wouldn't mind asking.

Thanks again!  Can't wait.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, cruiser3775 said:

So everyone will be on one side going out and the other side going back. What's the problem?

The whole train doesn't turn around, only the engine does. Passenger seats are on the same side going out and travelling back.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 3