Coffee.

New2cruise2022

FYI, traveling on Norwegian Bliss in January. 

For a non-Haven traveler with a premium (not plus) beverage package, what are the coffee options? Just drip? Is that available at all restaurants? Any other coffee options that are included?

If I added a Starbucks package, does this open up any other coffee in other restaurants, or is it only good at a Starbucks branded place on the ship? If only at Starbucks, how many locations are there on the ship? How many hours a day is Starbucks available? 

Sincerely,

Never been on a cruise, totally over researching but very grateful poster. 

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

Don't worry... you can't really "over-research", but try to enjoy it rather than getting stressed.

We consider each cruise is really sort of three different trips.
First, the planning and anticipation, and believe us, we can stretch this out for quite some time! 😁

Second, the actual traveling, of course!

And third, going over photos/videos, our memories, and occasionally talking about it, such as, "Oh, remember when....!?" - and some of this can be quite a few years later, ahem... 😉 

Meanwhile, here are a few links elsewhere on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/58-first-time-cruisers/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/69-ask-a-cruise-question/

But asking on the subforum of the cruiseline (e.g., NCL here) will get more specific answers for things that differ among the cruiselines.

You'll probably want to sign up (or at the very least, read) the "Roll Call" for your specific cruise (ship and date you are on).  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/66-norwegian-cruise-line-roll-calls/

There will be discussions about excursions/tours at different ports plus perhaps a meeting or two of the group on the ship.

And do consider travel insurance, at the very least if your own health insurance doesn't cover you when traveling:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

(We learned about it here, thank goodness, and... we had a big claim instead of what was to be DH's first cruise...)

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 2

I’ll be bringing a french press and a couple pounds of coarse grounds from my local roaster.  A favorite bean, Brazil Cerrado.  Actually just about any bean from Brazil has been great for the last couple years.   

With a french press (also referred to as a cafetière) all you need is 🫘 beans ground coarsely, hot 💦 water and your press.   

It is the absolute best a coffee can taste when used with a freshly roasted single source bean.  

BC3708E1-9BDD-49E2-85FB-D45C37B21AA0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the ship's coffee (at least on the Getaway) is pretty good.  You can order a pot to be delivered to your room in the morning for no charge.  I ordered a pot for delivery each morning (you have to order by 4AM) and drank it while getting up/showered/dressed in the morning.  I usually had a muffin and yogurt to go with it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

the ship's coffee (at least on the Getaway) is pretty good.  You can order a pot to be delivered to your room in the morning for no charge.  I ordered a pot for delivery each morning (you have to order by 4AM) and drank it while getting up/showered/dressed in the morning.  I usually had a muffin and yogurt to go with it.

Thanks for the heads up. There was no charge for the room service? I thought there was a $10 fee for room service. I feel like I’m going to learn something in a minute …

52 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Thanks for the heads up. There was no charge for the room service? I thought there was a $10 fee for room service. I feel like I’m going to learn something in a minute …

There is no charge for the "continental breakfast" offerings from room service - however, this is limited, and only "cold" options available (fruit, cereals, pastries, yogurt), along with coffee/tea and milk/juice.

If you want something hot (like eggs), you will be charged the ~$10 room service charge.  I don't have a picture of any room service menus, but they are floating around here, and other places on the internet, which could give you an idea of what all is included in the "continental" offerings.

Edited by kaprin02
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

I’ll be bringing a french press and a couple pounds of coarse grounds from my local roaster.  A favorite bean, Brazil Cerrado.  Actually just about any bean from Brazil has been great for the last couple years.   

With a french press (also referred to as a cafetière) all you need is 🫘 beans ground coarsely, hot 💦 water and your press.   

It is the absolute best a coffee can taste when used with a freshly roasted single source bean.  

BC3708E1-9BDD-49E2-85FB-D45C37B21AA0.jpeg

Where will you source your hot water? Bathroom sink?

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes, but does that mean you're carrying a french press around the ship? There is some lovely coffee right next to the hot water. 

image.png.0c93c3fe27eca2fcb5b8335f24774d1a.png

I’m not bring-my-own-French-press kind of coffee guy, but I do like to mix up how I coffee with espresso, cappuccino, cafe latte, machiatto, etc. I think I want to do the Starbucks package. Just wondering if any other coffees are included in the premium package and/or if Starbucks is available throughout the ship or only in one location. 

• Like 1

I am also interested in this topic. For instance, I have seen specialty restaurant menus with coffee drinks near the desserts. Drinks such as lattes with a Starbucks logo near them. Are these Starbucks coffee drinks available -for free- to passengers with the Ultimate Beverage Package (which does not include specialty coffee drinks) when they order a latte with their dessert in Cagney -for example-?

7 minutes ago, SanchoPa said:

I am also interested in this topic. For instance, I have seen specialty restaurant menus with coffee drinks near the desserts. Drinks such as lattes with a Starbucks logo near them. Are these Starbucks coffee drinks available -for free- to passengers with the Ultimate Beverage Package (which does not include specialty coffee drinks) when they order a latte with their dessert in Cagney -for example-?

No they are chargeable without the beverage+, FAS+ or Starbucks packages.

Edited by ziggyuk

1 hour ago, SanchoPa said:

@SanchoPa Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What people need to understand is that it is a latte in a restaurant made by your waiter from an automatic machine in the restaurant service area. It is made from a [cheapest] coffee blend sold by Starbuck. Because they use the coffee blend sold by Starbucks, they can include the "Proudly Serve Starbucks" logo in their menus. It is not Starbucks. It is not made to Starbucks standards. It is just coffee grounds bought from Starbucks. 

For example: The gas station down the street from my house "Proudly Serves Starbucks" products. And the coffee is not good. 

image.thumb.png.7c2df05779b24e5c4945b122a67954a9.png

• Like 4

On my last NCL cruise in September on Norwegian Sky my daughter and I several times had Jameson Buena Vista style Irish Coffee (yummy).   It was on the menu, I think in the main dinning room, I don't remember if it was on the specialty dinning menus.  Is this coffee available on all NCL ships?   Is it available on Norwegian Joy?  DH and I will be on her this December.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

@SanchoPa Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What people need to understand is that it is a latte in a restaurant made by your waiter from an automatic machine in the restaurant service area. It is made from a [cheapest] coffee blend sold by Starbuck. Because they use the coffee blend sold by Starbucks, they can include the "Proudly Serve Starbucks" logo in their menus. It is not Starbucks. It is not made to Starbucks standards. It is just coffee grounds bought from Starbucks. 

For example: The gas station down the street from my house "Proudly Serves Starbucks" products. And the coffee is not good. 

image.thumb.png.7c2df05779b24e5c4945b122a67954a9.png

I totally get this. What I believe we are trying to identify is cost expectation. If I buy Starbucks pass, will it cover a latte in the restaurant (even if it isn’t made to the same standards)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

FYI, traveling on Norwegian Bliss in January. 

For a non-Haven traveler with a premium (not plus) beverage package, what are the coffee options? Just drip? Is that available at all restaurants? Any other coffee options that are included?

If I added a Starbucks package, does this open up any other coffee in other restaurants, or is it only good at a Starbucks branded place on the ship? If only at Starbucks, how many locations are there on the ship? How many hours a day is Starbucks available? 

Sincerely,

Never been on a cruise, totally over researching but very grateful poster. 

There are multiple coffee options available, some better than others.

As already mentioned, morning room service works great for getting your day started.  There is coffee available at the buffet, in the dining rooms and at the Local/O'Sheehans.  My DH swears by the French press coffee available at Le Bistro (but only available at dinner).

There is only one Starbucks location on each ship, as far as I know.  You could search for Bliss dailies to see the hours it's open.  On the ships we've been on, I feel like it was open early to late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

There are multiple coffee options available, some better than others.

As already mentioned, morning room service works great for getting your day started.  There is coffee available at the buffet, in the dining rooms and at the Local/O'Sheehans.  My DH swears by the French press coffee available at Le Bistro (but only available at dinner).

There is only one Starbucks location on each ship, as far as I know.  You could search for Bliss dailies to see the hours it's open.  On the ships we've been on, I feel like it was open early to late.

Very helpful. I like to have coffee when I’m in the mood. Even “meh” coffee is good if it is convenient to my mood. (With a meal/after a meal.) If the Unlimited Starbucks gets me specialty coffee at bars and restaurants, great. If I need to upgrade to Premium Plus for my beverages to get it everywhere, I will have to weigh price against convenience. 

24 minutes ago, jebhoward3 said:

On my last NCL cruise in September on Norwegian Sky my daughter and I several times had Jameson Buena Vista style Irish Coffee (yummy).   It was on the menu, I think in the main dinning room, I don't remember if it was on the specialty dinning menus.  Is this coffee available on all NCL ships?   Is it available on Norwegian Joy?  DH and I will be on her this December.

Irish coffee. Yes, please. 

7 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Very helpful. I like to have coffee when I’m in the mood. Even “meh” coffee is good if it is convenient to my mood. (With a meal/after a meal.) If the Unlimited Starbucks gets me specialty coffee at bars and restaurants, great. If I need to upgrade to Premium Plus for my beverages to get it everywhere, I will have to weigh price against convenience. 

I don't know how much specialty coffee is available at bars (or the quality), no matter which package you have.  Between the Unlimited Starbucks package and the Premium Plus, there is no difference in where the coffee is going to be available.  

5 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I just chatted with an NCL agent. She said the Starbucks package works in the dining rooms. But, she said that AFTER she told me that it wouldn’t work. So … 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

Anyone have real life experience with this onboard?

I don't have real world experience with this but as @BirdTravels said above in the dining rooms they are going to be coffee drinks made with Starbucks coffee by your waiter.  Not made to Starbucks standards by a barista.

Just so you know what to expect and aren't disappointed in the quality.  Also, we do have experience with the slowness of the delivery of coffee drinks in the dining room.

17 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I don't have real world experience with this but as @BirdTravels said above in the dining rooms they are going to be coffee drinks made with Starbucks coffee by your waiter.  Not made to Starbucks standards by a barista.

Just so you know what to expect and aren't disappointed in the quality.  Also, we do have experience with the slowness of the delivery of coffee drinks in the dining room.

I've never associated Starbucks with "quality".  I used to, until I finally learned the secret of the true cup of perfect coffee.  Now Starbucks is to me exactly what 8 O'Clock, Maxwell House, and Folgers are.  They are the muts of coffee.  Huge bags of bean blends, 3, 4, or 5 different beans all poured in together just to create mass.  Then they sit in warehouses, already roasted, for weeks or months until they are sold off to the coffee distributors who then ship them on to grocery stores, cafeterias, yes even cruise ship companies.   Any place where they know their clientele doesn't know much about decent coffee and need to keep their coffee budget cheap.

You know why Starbucks' coffee beans always look so oily?  A lot of people think that is some indication of quality.  Which is ridiculous.

It's because their beans are over roasted which ruptures their interior shell protecting the coffee from the oxygen in the air, exposing the coffee and leaving it with that burned flavor as if it had been sitting on a hot plate with very little coffee in the pot.

I will try one of the specialty coffees at the International Cafe.  I will know immediately if they are using single source, RECENTLY roasted beans, or if they're using some commercial garbage.  If it is the latter they won't get another penny out of me.

Edited by EvanBedar