The New Terminal in Galveston Opened Today

Ret MP

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ourusualbeach posted in the how was your day dani thread. He boarded today. Mostly about drinks but I asked him about the terminal and he answered. 

Maybe he took some pictures. @Ourusualbeach

It was so quick I literally had no time gor pictures.  Matt from thr blog and Danny from you tube are on, they wi.probay have good reviews. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was so quick I literally had no time gor pictures.  Matt from thr blog and Danny from you tube are on, they wi.probay have good reviews. 

Ya, can't wait to see Danny's video and review.  Not so much Matt's.

We disembarked at the new terminal yesterday. Worst disembarkation in 30 plus cruises. Absolutely chaotic, Royal blaming immigration, but it was the way the lines and cases were organised, plus absolutely no control over group numbers leaving the ship early that was more to blame. Even worse outside. Chaotic queues for airport transfers, no organisation at all, people just piling onto the wrong buses. Our driver had no clue about where in the airport he was going. Left the airport at one point and had to go back. Plenty of people dropped off at the wrong terminals. Our group was supposed to leave the ship at 8.15am. Finally called at 9.20am, took 90 minutes to get out the terminal, then another 2 hours to get to the correct airport terminal. Must have been a good number of missed flights. Terminal is OK, but lacked even basic common sense and organisation. They can blame it being new, but the problems weren't rocket science. 

• Thanks 1

Sadly I must agree with milamber’s account of disembarkation. This was cruise 37 for us and living in Houston a number have involved Galveston. Was so excited for the new Terminal. 

I know we were the first arrival (or so we were told) and as such, hiccups are to be expected.  HOWEVER, this isn’t Royal’s first rodeo in designing a terminal or disembarking a ship. I shudder to think how things will be for a full Allure arrival.  (Guess we’ll find out in January when we sail her)

The luggage area and CBP clearance areas seem to be too compact. Trying to funnel 3 lines of people into 1 to go through the bank lines for clearance was frustrating.  We were told there was no facial recognition due to: A: it’s not ready yet and B: we were not a closed loop cruise. 

Outside there needs to be a better way-finding method. I felt sorry for the line management folks walking up and down yelling for people going to Hobby Airport to identify themselves. 

I guess it’s true what they say ….. sometimes it’s not good to be first!  I have high hopes for this new terminal and Royal’s ability to iron out the kinks. I want people to feel good about and be excited to choose Galveston as their cruise port. 

3 hours ago, Passrider76 said:

HOWEVER, this isn’t Royal’s first rodeo in designing a terminal or disembarking a ship. 

Exactly my thoughts as well.  We board this Sunday.  I don't look for embarkation to be any better for this first full cruise out of Galveston.  Hoping for the best but will be packing patience!!!  I'll try to remember to give a report when we return. 

• Like 1

Disembarked yesterday as well and it was a chaotic mess. The main reason for the long time in line was because it was an open loop cruise so facial recognition could not be used and they didn’t have enough CPB agents. 
But as said, the luggage pick up areas were crammed, confusing and a total mess. They’ll get the wrinkles smoothed out. 

We were off Adventure also yesterday.

Federal Customs facial recognition was not used or not working .

When we disembarked,

there were at times 9 stations out of 18 stations manned by Custom Agents,

and other times only 4 or 5,  I understand.     

Yes the design, space and procedures provided for luggage staging and movement was very inadequate. 

With the very high number of flying out passengers,

because of much much higher percentage on "repo" ,

the transfer to airports procedures were stressed.

That will not be the  norm in the future ,

with always high number like 80 % of drive in passengers  in Galveston . 

There are many issues to tweet though, 

for Royal Caribbean , Federal Customs and third party contract operator of terminal. The contract operator  also operates terminals in Florida for Royal Caribbean .

This is not City of Galveston or Port of Galveston .

Edited by ssb
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, HicksRA said:

Disembarked yesterday as well and it was a chaotic mess. The main reason for the long time in line was because it was an open loop cruise so facial recognition could not be used and they didn’t have enough CPB agents. 
But as said, the luggage pick up areas were crammed, confusing and a total mess. They’ll get the wrinkles smoothed out. 

I thought according to port of Galveston schedule repositioning sailing was supposed to dock at old terminal, sail from there then return to new terminal.

Fairly sure we did facial recognition in Bayonne on the outward repo although went downhill after that as baggage  claim there was also a mess!

Sounds like new terminal wasn’t fully prepared?

Interested to hear  how disembarking of Allure goes next week.

Edited by c-leg5

Just disembarked this morning.  Facial recognition monitors are now in place so no issue there.  Debarkation itself was kind of a mess.  I heard a number of people talking about how disorganized it was, at least for those of us doing self-assist - which seemed to be most of the passengers!  Going by the letters we received in our stateroom, we weren’t sure if we could wait in our stateroom until disembarkation began or not.  It was clear as mud as someone else put it.  The letters indicated different groups for self-assist passengers, however we weren’t assigned a group.  The app just said beginning at 8AM we could leave whenever we were ready. We went ahead and went to deck 5 about 7:45 AM and got in the long line.  However, once the departure process started, the line moved pretty quickly. As for embarkation, it went very well.  Once we arrived at the terminal we never had to sit down - just walked in, went through the processes (security & check-in) and we were on our way.  We were prepared for it to be a mess, but we were very pleased with how smoothly our first day went!  Enjoyed the cruise - only negatives for us were requiring reservations for shows (which is silly and unnecessary) and the bed.  Bed was horrible……..HORRIBLE! I even had a Klymit pad with me, but it didn’t make much difference.  Ship, crew, and food were all great!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHARTWICK said:

Just disembarked this morning.  Facial recognition monitors are now in place so no issue there.  Debarkation itself was kind of a mess.  I heard a number of people talking about how disorganized it was, at least for those of us doing self-assist - which seemed to be most of the passengers!  Going by the letters we received in our stateroom, we weren’t sure if we could wait in our stateroom until disembarkation began or not.  It was clear as mud as someone else put it.  The letters indicated different groups for self-assist passengers, however we weren’t assigned a group.  The app just said beginning at 8AM we could leave whenever we were ready. We went ahead and went to deck 5 about 7:45 AM and got in the long line.  However, once the departure process started, the line moved pretty quickly. As for embarkation, it went very well.  Once we arrived at the terminal we never had to sit down - just walked in, went through the processes (security & check-in) and we were on our way.  We were prepared for it to be a mess, but we were very pleased with how smoothly our first day went!  Enjoyed the cruise - only negatives for us were requiring reservations for shows (which is silly and unnecessary) and the bed.  Bed was horrible……..HORRIBLE! I even had a Klymit pad with me, but it didn’t make much difference.  Ship, crew, and food were all great!

I am sure it will take some time. Self-disembarking has always been a hassle at Galveston due to sheer numbers and I am sure the bigger the ship the worst it will be. 

We have only sailed  the smaller Adventure several times this year. Does the new terminal have zig-zag ramps to wheel cases off? That helped considerably in the old terminal when installed although makes for a long walk.

We don’t do self-assist and just wait for the lines to clear.

Edited by c-leg5

We always do self-assist w/CCL out of Galveston with no issues, but the instructions they provide are very clear.  We need off of the ship early since we have a long drive, so self-assist works best for us.  We are light packers, too! Yes - zig-zag ramps in terminal.  And the floors are super smooth concrete so rolling bags are super easy to push/pull!

• Thanks 1

LHARTWICK I am glad to hear about the zig-zag ramps at the new terminal. We were the first arrival on 11/10 and only escalators and elevators were available, that I saw.   I made a comment to DH that I couldn’t believe they didn’t have ramps (like in the old terminal).  I think Galveston is known for the large number of self-assist. Ramps make it easier, faster and safer (no runaway suit cases tumbling down the escalators). 

2 hours ago, Passrider76 said:

LHARTWICK I am glad to hear about the zig-zag ramps at the new terminal. We were the first arrival on 11/10 and only escalators and elevators were available, that I saw.   I made a comment to DH that I couldn’t believe they didn’t have ramps (like in the old terminal).  I think Galveston is known for the large number of self-assist. Ramps make it easier, faster and safer (no runaway suit cases tumbling down the escalators). 

At one point I wondered which ride we were in line for - LOL!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Does anyone know if Uber or Lyft are allowed in the new terminal for pick up?  I believe that we had to exit the old terminal and wait across the street to use Uber.  Thanks.

Same rules apply to uber in any terminal in Galveston since they dont pay the fee to enter. Prepare to walk from outside the port if you use uber.  ..with lower prices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Does anyone know if Uber or Lyft are allowed in the new terminal for pick up?  I believe that we had to exit the old terminal and wait across the street to use Uber.  Thanks.

Lyft can enter the terminal. Uber has agreed to pay the port fee and will be able to enter property, but I have not yet heard of a start date for this.