Sapphire has Covid.

marmac761

Just now, PescadoAmarillo said:

There is nothing stopping us. When I think of how many really hard things some people do in life every day, ,this is nothing in comparison. 

Our Uber driver asked if we minded wanting a mask.  Not at all!  We had them handy just in case someone asked us to wear one.  Well, I completely forgot I even had it on and boarded the ship, walked around, went to lunch before I realized i was wearing it.  Even the check in guy onboard  didn’t ask me to drop my mask.  
I also just don’t mind testing, even though the formal testing was kind of a pain.  But, the home tests are easy enough.  I know some people can contract the virus on a plane or in port, but it lessens it so much if we are all honest once it is time to embark and throughout the cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Our Uber driver asked if we minded wanting a mask.  Not at all!  We had them handy just in case someone asked us to wear one.  Well, I completely forgot I even had it on and boarded the ship, walked around, went to lunch before I realized i was wearing it.  Even the check in guy onboard  didn’t ask me to drop my mask.  
I also just don’t mind testing, even though the formal testing was kind of a pain.  But, the home tests are easy enough.  I know some people can contract the virus on a plane or in port, but it lessens it so much if we are all honest once it is time to embark and throughout the cruise.  

My husband is currently on the Ruby Princess. He took every test kit we had with him, and I ordered more. He’s been testing every few days, and is extending his trip, so he’ll buy more on turnaround day. He was supposed to have dinner in the Crown Grill on the last night of his first cruise with someone he’d met on board. That person contacted him that morning to tell him he had developed a sore throat but didn’t think it was serious. What should he do about dinner? DH offered him a test kit. That person tested and was positive. He had Crown Grill in his cabin that night. Thankfully, DH remains well. 

So do I, which is a good thing, since he also took our digital thermometer, BP cuff, and every cold and flu OTC med we had on hand. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

My husband is currently on the Ruby Princess. He took every test kit we had with him, and I ordered more. He’s been testing every few days, and is extending his trip, so he’ll buy more on turnaround day. He was supposed to have dinner in the Crown Grill on the last night of his first cruise with someone he’d met on board. That person contacted him that morning to tell him he had developed a sore throat but didn’t think it was serious. What should he do about dinner? DH offered him a test kit. That person tested and was positive. He had Crown Grill in his cabin that night. Thankfully, DH remains well. 

So do I, which is a good thing, since he also took our digital thermometer, BP cuff, and every cold and flu OTC med we had on hand. 

We are boarding the Ruby on this coming Tuesday, only if we test negative, of course.  Will he be onboard for Thanksgiving?  If so, we will run into him.  Where does he hang out?  We will look for him!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Take your own from home. At least that way you know for certain that you’re not positive and don’t have to feel guilty about continuing to be out and about on the ship. Right?

At that rate I would have to test every day.

I don't think so.

I'll know if my body has changed. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

My husband is currently on the Ruby Princess....

Off topic Pescado, but I cruise without She Who Must Be Obeyed because she doesn't care to cruise as much as I do ( motion sickness issues )

SWMBO is fine with it because she doesn't want me to miss an adventure and the feeling is mutual.  Some of our friends won't cross the county line without their spouse.

It's unusual, but also speaks volumes about the nature of the relationship.

3 hours ago, marie94949 said:

What blood tests do they need?  What are they looking for?  $1,000 sounds like a $$ maker.  

They need kidney function testing.  There is a different dose for people with reduced kidney function.  The US Government pays Pfizer over $500 per Paxlovid course...Princess likely pays more than that, and they have to have some markup for drug that will expire while they are holding it.  Between the lab test, physician fee and cost of Paxlovid $1000 is about right.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

They need kidney function testing.  There is a different dose for people with reduced kidney function.  The US Government pays Pfizer over $500 per Paxlovid course...Princess likely pays more than that, and they have to have some markup for drug that will expire while they are holding it.  Between the lab test, physician fee and cost of Paxlovid $1000 is about right.

Gee...I should ask my Dr. for a prescription to take with me.

2 hours ago, NownZen said:

Our doctor refused to do so before our cruise. He said there were a lot of side effects and you needed to see what the severity of the infection was.

My wife tested positive after we attended a memorial service. She called our doctor and he prescribed paxlovid and antibiotics as well as a cough syrup. Fortunately she had very mild symptoms for about one day only.

14 hours ago, NownZen said:

Our doctor refused to do so before our cruise. He said there were a lot of side effects and you needed to see what the severity of the infection was.

I had Covid last month and got Paxlovid.  My HMO does not wait to see the severity.  You want to take the Paxlovid right away, but within 5 days at the most.  Especially if you are older.  They already know if you have kidney problems so no testing.  They just want to make sure you stop taking any interferring meds like statins and anything with a steroid like the nasal sprays.  Me, my case was mild so I saved the Paxlovid for the cruise should I need it.

23 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are boarding the Ruby on this coming Tuesday, only if we test negative, of course.  Will he be onboard for Thanksgiving?  If so, we will run into him.  Where does he hang out?  We will look for him!  

He has a Caribe Deck balcony next cruise.  He will likely spend more time there, but he always goes to the CC parties and MTG luncheon if you’ll be at either of those. 

22 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Off topic Pescado, but I cruise without She Who Must Be Obeyed because she doesn't care to cruise as much as I do ( motion sickness issues )

SWMBO is fine with it because she doesn't want me to miss an adventure and the feeling is mutual.  Some of our friends won't cross the county line without their spouse.

It's unusual, but also speaks volumes about the nature of the relationship.

I hope those volumes read that the relationship is a long and happy one based on mutual respect and trust. 🙂

He was in the military for 27 years; my corporate career moved me all around the country. We learned how to enjoy ourselves while apart or we would have been pretty joyless for decades. He is far more social than I am and either sees old friends or meets new ones on every cruise. 

The funny thing is that wives have been traveling alone or with girlfriends (as I did, all over the world) for years and no one thought a thing about it.   But it seems men traveling without their wives face more scrutiny. Hopefully that’s changing. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

He has a Caribe Deck balcony next cruise.  He will likely spend more time there, but he always goes to the CC parties and MTG luncheon if you’ll be at either of those. 

I doubt if we will be invited to the MTP luncheon again anytime soon only having 300+ days with Princess.  We sometimes go to the CC parties, though but will be traveling with friends that don’t qualify so we may not make it this time around.