Carnival Luminosa and Carnival Splendor Update on Masks and Travel Insurance 20.11.22 through 31.12.22

Letter from President Carnival Cruise Line advising Australia is experiencing a rise in Covid 19 cases and as a result we may see positive cases during your cruise.  

all guests will be required to wear masks in all indoor spaces except when eating or drinking and in their stateroom outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained during the entire embarkation and debarkation process on buses and water shuttles and while indoors on any shore excursion We strongly recommend you purchase comprehensive international travel insurance that covers both cruise and covid coverage.

plus special instructions for those cruising on South Pacific cruise. 

etc. etc. 

5 minutes ago, timtam2 said:

Excellent news! I'll be on Luminosa 4 December and I hope this is enforced. I can see from other places that this news has not gone down well......

It is good to see that the ships are considering the elevated risk, and putting extra protection in place above the current government requirements.

The general consensus among Splendor cruisers when the ship arrived here was let's not wear masks, and there was a government mandate at the time.

Everyone has their own risk level, and it is unfortunate that so many only think about their own without considering the risks to those around them. Like most other cruises, they will have signs up and make a couple of announcements each day, but also not confronting passengers who choose to ignore them.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, timtam2 said:

Excellent news! I'll be on Luminosa 4 December and I hope this is enforced. I can see from other places that this news has not gone down well......

I wonder why?  Surely the new rules from 20.11 - 31.12.22 are for passengers' (and crew) protection.  

Seeing all passengers have been advised in advance, it is up to the ship officers and crew to enforce the rules for everyone's benefit.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

It is good to see that the ships are considering the elevated risk, and putting extra protection in place above the current government requirements.

The general consensus among Splendor cruisers when the ship arrived here was let's not wear masks, and there was a government mandate at the time.

Everyone has their own risk level, and it is unfortunate that so many only think about their own without considering the risks to those around them. Like most other cruises, they will have signs up and make a couple of announcements each day, but also not confronting passengers who choose to ignore them.

To be fair those with this elevated risk level probably shouldn't be cruising considering the inherent understood risk when booking. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

To be fair those with this elevated risk level probably shouldn't be cruising considering the inherent understood risk when booking. 

The Covid-19 risk level may not have been high when they booked their cruise.  

40 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

No argument here. I wasn't talking about those with elevated risks, but the collective risk to the thousands they are sharing the space with for the length of their cruise. The sort of grubs that are too arrogant to get symptoms tested, raise a forearm to cover a cough, or wear a mask when asked are the ones who should be most proud when we set a new record for the number of passengers that can catch a communicable disease on a cruise. 

• Like 4

I'm on Splendor in a couple of weeks, and I admit I'm also a little torn.

On one hand I appreciate the effort to reduce infection risk (no doubt borne out of the recent publicity), on the other hand I was hoping for a little experience of normalcy for the first time in a while.

I have no problem at all wearing my N95s (I recommend the Aussie made AMD ones), but there's no doubt they inhibit social interaction, especially the casual first-time chats you regularly have on a ship. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The Covid-19 risk level may not have been high when they booked their cruise.  

What in the last 2 and half years? Not once have I seen cruising considered a low covid risk.

While I agree people are irresponsible ignorant at any time and should be more considerate in all aspects of life but there are a vast majority who now want to live along side covid in all aspects of life cruising included. You book the cruise you understand the risks that come with it.

My nephew has a significant nut allergy. I don't see people advocating for no nut cruises. The family cruises but they understand the risks involved and are prepared for whatever happens. 

1 minute ago, adelaidefc said:

I'm on Splendor in a couple of weeks, and I admit I'm also a little torn.

On one hand I appreciate the effort to reduce infection risk (no doubt borne out of the recent publicity), on the other hand I was hoping for a little experience of normalcy for the first time in a while.

I have no problem at all wearing my N95s (I recommend the Aussie made AMD ones), but there's no doubt they inhibit social interaction, especially the casual first-time chats you regularly have on a ship. 

Yes and of course covid can't spread while your eating or drinking. Probably the most likely as continually touching things and your face all the time.

1 minute ago, bretts173 said:

Yes and of course covid can't spread while your eating or drinking. Probably the most likely as continually touching things and your face all the time.

Surface (aka fomite) transmission of Covid, and most respiratory illness is really low. Though ironically touching the outside of your mask then touching your face increases that risk. 

Ventilation is the biggest issue, so wearing a mask in tightly packed, low airflow areas is logical and sensible. Realistically unless they enforce 'sip and cover' in the bars and restaurants, as you said, it won't make much difference in those venues.  

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I wonder why?  Surely the new rules from 20.11 - 31.12.22 are for passengers' (and crew) protection.  

Seeing all passengers have been advised in advance, it is up to the ship officers and crew to enforce the rules for everyone's benefit.  

But they won't enforce it properly, they don't want confrontation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Whilst I am very pleased that Carnival are doing this, I wish the staff good luck in trying to enforce it, judging by the attitudes in the online groups on that social media site.

Yeeeeah. There's a lot of 'angry' emojis flying around like they're being asked to throw their first born overboard or something....

• Haha 3

Probably a circular which was sent to all passengers.  Still many passengers take out insurance when they put a deposit on a cruise.  They spell out what type of travel insurance is required.  On Caribbean cruises, HAL put positive passengers in hotels in Fort Lauderdale, so the cruise ship could continue with their itinerary visiting Caribbean islands.  Once passengers were free of Covid, they returned to the ship. Just a guess - I wonder if they are thinking of doing something similar.    

1 hour ago, Whatsthedillio said:

I received this in my email tonight.. very confused as I am not sailing until February 2024... surely they aren't going to still require travel insurance?  

I would be extremely reluctant to do a South Pacific (or any OS) cruise without insurance regardless. One slip by the pool and you're up for thousands, if not 10s of thousands. You wouldn't necessarily want to rely on healthcare in the South Pacific, so medical evac would be very pricey indeed. 

Even for domestic cruises I use the Insure n Go essentials cover, as it covers limited (non-Covid) medical expenses only for my pre-existing conditions. Then my quite reasonable credit card insurance cover that will do all the non-medical things like cancellation/baggage/delays as well as Covid medical cover. As always, carefully read the PDS (theirs is extremely convoluted)

• Like 1

Anyone who cruises without Travel insurance is a fool.  Over the years I have met a few Americans travelling with no travel insurance. I just shakes me head.

I always took out a policy when I paid  my deposit.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Anyone who cruises without Travel insurance is a fool.  Over the years I have met a few Americans travelling with no travel insurance. I just shakes me head.

I always took out a policy when I paid  my deposit.

Im in my 30s, I'm not going to ever need travel insurance.. and if I did, I have some sort of insurance through my credit card and work.  Its a complete waste of money for me.  If you're older and at risk, fine... for me, nope!

14 hours ago, Whatsthedillio said:

I received this in my email tonight.. very confused as I am not sailing until February 2024... surely they aren't going to still require travel insurance?  

image.png

These ports have requested you need to travel with insurance for over a decade but have never really enforced it till recently. If you get sick or injured in that part of the world, they want to know you can cover the cost before they provide treatment. 

Yes, you are at a much lower risk of serious illness, but medivacs in our part of the world are in the range of 50 to 100K, and we have always covered our butts against an accident or injury - stuff, like falling on slippery decks, coral cuts etc. For us, the risk has also been minor and not required to claim against so far, but we won't travel internationally without it.

It isn't just Carnival, but all ships visiting those ports. I guess there is also the option of cancelling or changing your cruise without penalty?

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

These ports have requested you need to travel with insurance for over a decade but have never really enforced it till recently. If you get sick or injured in that part of the world, they want to know you can cover the cost before they provide treatment. 

Yes, you are at a much lower risk of serious illness, but medivacs in our part of the world are in the range of 50 to 100K, and we have always covered our butts against an accident or injury - stuff, like falling on slippery decks, coral cuts etc. For us, the risk has also been minor and not required to claim against so far, but we won't travel internationally without it.

It isn't just Carnival, but all ships visiting those ports. I guess there is also the option of cancelling or changing your cruise without penalty?

I recall reading about the high number of young people who get injured from bike accidents in Bali.  Another case, which stays with me, was a fund raising request for donations to help pay the huge expense which would be required to medivac a woman back to Australia from the UK.  Whilst her medical was covered in the UK, she needed a number of medical staff and a number of seats on a flight to get her home.  It is the unknown and unexpected which most people insure for overseas.  

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

But they won't enforce it properly, they don't want confrontation.

They do try  On the Coral recently they had crew walking around with boxes of masks and giving them to those who were without but even then the very clever passengers just hung them from their fingers and walked away   The staff cannot start a row  they can only refuse them entry to somewhere if not complying but otherwise they are without power

16 hours ago, Whatsthedillio said:

Im in my 30s, I'm not going to ever need travel insurance.. and if I did, I have some sort of insurance through my credit card and work.  Its a complete waste of money for me.  If you're older and at risk, fine... for me, nope!

I hope this is a joke.

• Like 4