No More Mixed Shots!

id10t

Currently on NCL Pearl.  They are no longer allowed to give out mixed shot per corporate.  No more mini beers, alien brain hemorrhage, lemon drops, and so on.  Disappointed.

Edited by id10t

1 hour ago, id10t said:

Currently on NCL Pearl.  They are no longer allowed to give out mixed shot per corporate.  No more mini beers, alien brain hemorrhage, lemon drops, and so on.  Disappointed.

A work around for the mini beers is to order a regular shot of Licor 43 and ask for a shot of heavy cream on the side--it's easy to float it!  I make them at home all the time!  I imagine that this came about as the 2 ingredient shots are time consuming and a PITB for bartenders to make when it is really busy (ex bartender and bar manager--plus was an assistant bar manager on a cruise ship)--with limited staffing I could see where this would be a problem.  I got an eyeroll on the Epic in September when I ordered a mini beer at O Sheehan's when they were busy--I waited a long time to order and only after I ordered did I realize why I got the eyeroll!!  That being said, you really can't say you have certain drinks only when it is slow--it's gotta be all or none.

• Like 2

Could be corporate. Could also be a staffing/time issue. Maybe try different bars and develop a relationship with a bartender before ordering one. Having tended both sides of a bar in my life, most bartenders want to be accommodating and even want to prove the knowledge and abilities. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Could be corporate. Could also be a staffing/time issue. Maybe try different bars and develop a relationship with a bartender before ordering one. Having tended both sides of a bar in my life, most bartenders want to be accommodating and even want to prove the knowledge and abilities. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

Tried every bar, other than heaven.  All said no.Also I tip on average $2 per drink most of the bar tenders know me by name and happy to see me.

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Was not the case last week on Encore.

Not allowed to serve at all, or, not included in drink package? 

We have the drink package and cruse  a lot on NCL.  First time denied shots at every bar. Only straight shots are allowed on NCL Pearl 

3 minutes ago, Shidah said:

In the past the bartenders in the Vibe made them in bulk for shot o’clock.  May want to try there.

No Vibe on Pearl.  No Bar on NCL Pearl os doing mixed shot.  Only straight shots.

12 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Yes the bartenders know the shots for sure. All bars said no, no matter time of day or if you know them and tip well.

Edited by id10t

Sounds like it's time to talk to the Beverage Manager.  Doubtful it will change anything now, but, if enough people complain maybe gets it reversed.  I had such a conversation with him last week on Encore regarding lack of Captain Morgan.

Whoa, this truly stinks if it's a fleet-wide edict that is strictly enforced. 

Is it a workaround to order a full-sized version of shot XYZ and then 5 shot glasses on the side?

Oh brother...

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Sounds like it's time to talk to the Beverage Manager.  Doubtful it will change anything now, but, if enough people complain maybe gets it reversed.  I had such a conversation with him last week on Encore regarding lack of Captain Morgan.

I've yet to find Capt. Morgan, even in the Haven bar! Now that NCL has Coke, they really need to bring out the Capt. A Capt. and Pepsi is just blech...a Capt. and Coke is perfection.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've yet to find Capt. Morgan, even in the Haven bar! Now that NCL has Coke, they really need to bring out the Capt. A Capt. and Pepsi is just blech...a Capt. and Coke is perfection.

My discussion confirmed it's been eliminated.  He claimed other brands as well and it was related to the reductions coming out of Covid.  

• Thanks 2

So sad. NCL continues to find ways to cheapen the overall guest experience with cutbacks, fees, etc. Whether it is annually increasing daily service charges to industry leading levels, adjusting prices of liquor above $15, placing surcharges on entrees, announcing itinerary changes the day after final payment, etc. Sometimes we think we are sailing Spirit Airlines, lol.....and all while attempting to set fare prices well in excess of market demand. This is why Breakaway left NYC for New Orleans earlier this month with hundreds of cabins available. The public isn't fooled.

As we cruise primarily from the Northeast, we are so looking forward to Costa by Carnival and MSC placing ships in New York on a year round basis in 2023. Competition is generally a good thing for consumers, and although we may find the same practice on other lines, at least we will have an opportunity to try something different.

In our opinion, NCL is quickly losing it's identity. It offers mass market experience while trying to charge Regent/Silversea pricing.

We can always return to NCL, if the others are worse. In the end, freedom of choice can be a good thing!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Well, there goes that extra 25 cent tip from me.

On top of the $19.80/per day that you are already paying. I mean if the average person drinks 10 drinks per day, that is $1.98 per drink. And when traveling as a couple, that is $1.98 per drink, per person - not per round. And I am reminded that NCL is further increasing the gratuities in 2023 because they are raising the base price of the package from $99 to $109. So, now we have the privilege of paying an industry leading $21.80 per person per day for one of the most (if not the most) restrictive package in the industry. Industry leading pricing at industry lagging offerings. Never a good mix!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

On top of the $19.80/per day that you are already paying. I mean if the average person drinks 10 drinks per day, that is $1.98 per drink. And when traveling as a couple, that is $1.98 per drink, per person - not per round. And I am reminded that NCL is further increasing the gratuities in 2023 because they are raising the base price of the package from $99 to $109. So, now we have the privilege of paying an industry leading $21.80 per person per day for one of the most (if not the most) restrictive package in the industry. Industry leading pricing at industry lagging offerings. Never a good mix!

I think I'll lament the loss of Capt. Morgan. A $1.98 per drink sounds damn good to me! Of course, that's not including the upgraded price of the fare when selecting Free at Sea with the beverage package. 

Of course, I don't think there's a day in my life that I'll ever drink ten alcoholic drinks in one day, again. Used to. Should have died a few times. Didn't, thankfully! When you add in the soda/virgin drinks, I might get closer to those ten drinks a day (I drink a lot of tap water and iced tea). 

Regardless, I'll take that price and not complain, even if it goes up by a couple dollars per day/per person. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think I'll lament the loss of Capt. Morgan. A $1.98 per drink sounds damn good to me!

LOL!! We used to feel the same way, but more recently, it just seems like it is well, we can't do this, or you can get this for another dollar plus 20 cent gratuity. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

We started looking at other lines and yes, like NCL, you have to pay a slightly higher fare price, but the daily service charge is fully included. I have specific knowledge of MSC and Carnival's Drinks on Us promotion which is offered from time to time through their loyalty program (VIFP). Not to mention, their included packages include a much wider variety of liquors plus specialty coffees, milkshakes, bottled waters, etc.

We've enjoyed the NCL drink package often drinking in excess of 10 per day ! While $1.98 gratuity for limited options is not a "bad deal", we have found $0.00 gratuity for top shelf, run of house options to be a much, much "better deal". My experience on Carnival: you want Blanton's, no worries.....Crown Royal, sure.....Bailey's....no problem, Woodford, of course.

My experience on NCL.....that will be $1.00 plus 20 cent gratuity.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

LOL!! We used to feel the same way, but more recently, it just seems like it is well, we can't do this, or you can get this for another dollar plus 20 cent gratuity. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

We started looking at other lines and yes, like NCL, you have to pay a slightly higher fare price, but the daily service charge is fully included. I have specific knowledge of MSC and Carnival's Drinks on Us promotion which is offered from time to time through their loyalty program (VIFP). Not to mention, their included packages include a much wider variety of liquors plus specialty coffees, milkshakes, bottled waters, etc.

We've enjoyed the NCL drink package often drinking in excess of 10 per day ! While $1.98 gratuity for limited options is not a "bad deal", we have found $0.00 gratuity for top shelf, run of house options to be a much, much "better deal". My experience on Carnival: you want Blanton's, no worries.....Crown Royal, sure.....Bailey's....no problem, Woodford, of course.

My experience on NCL.....that will be $1.00 plus 20 cent gratuity.

• Like 1