Carnival Gift Card ?

junglecat

I currently have 3 Carnival gift cards and will have 4 by the time we cruise in January.  Thus far, I have nothing to pay for as everything is already paid.  Once on board, can I add these to our account to use or can it be done before we leave?  I'm also wondering if I should just apply as needed because once they are all on, then getting my money back from Carnival might take forever.  Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Hi 🙂

After a quick Google search (Carnival Gift Card Facts) I located two links for you. Hope this helps. I'll drop them below. 

Carnival Gift Card Information @:

https://carnival.ourgiftcards.com/faq

Carnival Forms Of Payment @:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/568/~/forms-of-payment

• Thanks 1

I too am interested in the use of gift cards and of gift certificates (paper) which I purchased through AARP (@ a10% discount).

On the website listed by ObstructedView2 it is stated "used as payment toward....your onboard spending account" Is this the same as the Sail & Sign account?

Edited by BarbieGee
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

I too am interested in the use of gift cards and of gift certificates (paper) which I purchased through AARP (@ a10% discount).

On the website listed by ObstructedView2 it is stated "used as payment toward....your onboard spending account" Is this the same as the Sail & Sign account?

Yes, that’s your on board account. The gift cards can be applied to your account at Guest Services at any time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bostwick girl said:

Yes, that’s your on board account. The gift cards can be applied to your account at Guest Services at any time. 

I'd like to apply them on line and avoid the crowds at GS!

• Like 1

Just now, BarbieGee said:

I'd like to apply them on line and avoid the crowds at GS!

You can’t apply them to your account until you’re on board. The lines are always long the first day, so just hold off till the next morning.  You CAN use your gift cards to buy things precruise such as excursions, drink packages and things like that.

• Like 1

What I would recommend you do is when you do online check-in, fund your S&S account with a credit card.

Then at some point during the cruise, go up to the S&S Kiosk or guest services and feed in your gift cards as necessary to satisfy your balance.

That saves the worry of what will happen to any overage funds, or needing to worry about funding your account on the first day, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

excellent information! I was wondering why I could not set some of this up upon check-in at the terminal. My past cruise experiences included setting up an account with a cc before boarding at the check-in counter. I've just never had gift card certificates in the past nor have I sailed on Carnival, hence my ignorance on CCL's procedures.
Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imkatz said:

You can have them applied at the Carnival desk before you board, where you get your picture taken, they will gladly apply them to your onboard account.

That's what we did on our Dream cruise last Sept. Worked great! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, junglecat said:

I currently have 3 Carnival gift cards and will have 4 by the time we cruise in January.  Thus far, I have nothing to pay for as everything is already paid.  Once on board, can I add these to our account to use or can it be done before we leave?  I'm also wondering if I should just apply as needed because once they are all on, then getting my money back from Carnival might take forever.  Any thoughts or experiences with this?

I recently purchased Cruise Cash with an AARP Carnival gift card, applied to my sign and sail. I believe it is non refundable if not used.

• Like 1

Gift cards used to be cruise cash are non refundable. Only buy what you know you'll use. But, doing this, allows you to avoid guest services until the cruise cash you bought is used up. 

Gift cards applied to your account during the cruise will be refunded if not used, but in the form of a new gift card, not cash or check. 

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

What I would recommend you do is when you do online check-in, fund your S&S account with a credit card.

Then at some point during the cruise, go up to the S&S Kiosk or guest services and feed in your gift cards as necessary to satisfy your balance.

That saves the worry of what will happen to any overage funds, or needing to worry about funding your account on the first day, etc.

This works well. But, people should be aware that this will result in a hold on your credit card account that may take some time to be released. 

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

This works well. But, people should be aware that this will result in a hold on your credit card account that may take some time to be released. 

Yes, Carnival clearly explains this during the check-in process when you set up your S&S account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenner9 said:

If you set up your online account with a credit card but then add gift cards or cash once on board do they use those funds first before charging anything to your card?

Yes, cash and gift cards will be used first,  but your credit card could still be hit with a hold, even if never actually used for a charge. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

What's the big deal?  A $200.00 hold on your cc that never goes through should not be a problem.

For some, it is. People travel with credit cards that have a $1000 limit, and they need it for travel expenses to get home. That $200 hold could cause needed expenditures to get declined, causing problems.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

For some, it is. People travel with credit cards that have a $1000 limit, and they need it for travel expenses to get home. That $200 hold could cause needed expenditures to get declined, causing problems.  

If you have a 1000 limit on a cc, 200 leaves you with 800.  Since I will infer that these people are not flying, 800 should be more than enough money for a hotel for one or possibly two nights, money for gas and money for meals for a family.

• Like 1

Get to know and use the kiosks on board. I've used them for about the past 5 or 6 cruises. I have different denominations of GC and I'll add them to my acct as need be. If I walk by a kiosk and someone is using it, I'll just come back later. 

• Like 2