First Meraviglia cruise from NYC- bad idea?

mackfam

Hi

I’m considering booking the April 22nd sailing on the  Mera for a family cruise,  but I now realize that this is the first sailing after repositioning to NYC. After hearing about the nightmare embarkation stories after the TA this Fall, and other comments that there are usually hiccups after repositioning, I’m wondering if this is a bad idea. This would also be our first time with MSC not in the YC which is also giving me some concerns as the YC experience has definitely ruined us but is not feasible for our large family group. Any thoughts?

I do not believe you will have the same type of embarkation issues after the TA. Ships coming over on a TA require all the crew to go thru customs and immigration and I believe the ship may go thru a coast guard inspection since it is arriving in the US for the first time from a foreign country.

The ship is repositioning from Port Canaveral to NY so from one US port to another. Although there can be embarkation delays for many other reasons, after a TA is a unique situation.

22 hours ago, mackfam said:

Hi

I’m considering booking the April 22nd sailing on the  Mera for a family cruise,  but I now realize that this is the first sailing after repositioning to NYC. After hearing about the nightmare embarkation stories after the TA this Fall, and other comments that there are usually hiccups after repositioning, I’m wondering if this is a bad idea. This would also be our first time with MSC not in the YC which is also giving me some concerns as the YC experience has definitely ruined us but is not feasible for our large family group. Any thoughts?

Also be aware it will be sailing from Brooklyn not Manhattan

15 hours ago, mackfam said:

I knew it was the Brooklyn terminal. Is that a bad thing?

As a embark/ debark point, probably not.  It may even be a good thing.  You will need to adjust your travel plans though.

One caveat, you don't get the Manhattan and Statue of Liberty views afforded by a Manhattan sail away.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:16 AM, Nikita4 said:

The ship will come from Port Canaveral on the 20th of April, so I don't think it's a problem. Is there a short 2 day cruise from April 20 to April 22?

I was going to point out this same thing. I am booked on both the 4/9 repositioning and the 4/22 sailing. Planning to stay with friends in NYC in between the two sailings. But those two days should allow MSC to get their crew and provisioning in order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

As a embark/ debark point, probably not.  It may even be a good thing.  You will need to adjust your travel plans though.

One caveat, you don't get the Manhattan and Statue of Liberty views afforded by a Manhattan sail away.

You will still get a pretty decent view if you are on the Starboard side during embarkation.  You also get to sail under the Verrazano which is enjoyed by many folks.  But we would agree that the best overall views are from ships docking at the Manhattan terminal (along 12th Ave) with Port Liberty (Bayonne) a close 2nd place.

Hank

I was on the October 13 disaster cruise, and I am also on the April 9 reposition cruise. 

The October 13 cruise was very much the perfect storm.  Besides the usual issues with clearing a ship after the TA, they also had a crew member pass away the evening before, so the coroner had to meet the ship.  I also spoke to several crew members once we finally sailed who said that there were many crew members who never cleared the customs & immigration queue, so we had to sail without them.  With the Coast Guard being on the ship until after 8:00 PM and the constant CBP personnel shortage at Canaveral, plus the ship being at lifeboat capacity for passengers, all of these things added up to a very delayed, cumbersome embarkation and sail away.

I do not expect that they will have similar issues with the first cruise after the reposition.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You will still get a pretty decent view if you are on the Starboard side during embarkation.  You also get to sail under the Verrazano which is enjoyed by many folks.  But we would agree that the best overall views are from ships docking at the Manhattan terminal (along 12th Ave) with Port Liberty (Bayonne) a close 2nd place.

Hank

I will have an amazing view of the bridge, the harbor and the Manhattan skyline at the end of the reposition cruise as I have a forward-facing balcony cabin on deck 15 in Yacht Club.  😁