Passport name change

sprint180

Has anyone here recently changed their name and gotten a new passport?  I was wondering how long it takes.  My son is getting married and want to go on a cruise but are wondering if a passport would get back in time.   Any help is appreciated.  This will have to be the mail in thing as we do not have an office nearby.

23 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Has anyone here recently changed their name and gotten a new passport?  I was wondering how long it takes.  My son is getting married and want to go on a cruise but are wondering if a passport would get back in time.   Any help is appreciated.  This will have to be the mail in thing as we do not have an office nearby.

It's just like getting a passport, I believe the current suggested time for return is around 7-10 weeks.

Does he need  a passport for the cruise ?

Some closed looped cruises  US citizens can just use their birth certificate  & D.L

How is the cruise booked  ?  married name ?

Maybe just use  current passport

56 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Does he need  a passport for the cruise ?

Some closed looped cruises  US citizens can just use their birth certificate  & D.L

How is the cruise booked  ?  married name ?

Maybe just use  current passport

Yes, it is a European cruise.  I also suggested she wait to change name until they were back if there is a question as there is only a small window of when they can go.  Thanks for the suggestion

Edited by sprint180

5 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Yes, it is a European cruise.  I also suggested she wait to change name until they were back if there is a question as there is only a small window of when they can go.  Thanks for the suggestion

Is the cruise booked in her maiden name?

Then yes  just wait  until  they return if you can not get it changed in time

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, sprint180 said:

Just book the cruise in the name that is on the passport.

Keep in mind that when an application for a passport name change is made the old passport is no longer valid.  If timing is a concern,  booking and sailing under the current passport makes a lot of sense.   

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Keep in mind that when an application for a passport name change is made the old passport is no longer valid.  If timing is a concern,  booking and sailing under the current passport makes a lot of sense.   

Excellent point right here. I would also wait until after the cruise to change the name, or make sure that the cruise is booked for 2 months after the ceremony to allow ample time for processing.

• Thanks 1