Which Ship are you booking to Alaska in 2024

Nelsj099

We're looking at maybe booking our first Princess and first Alaska cruise also.

From what I've read here, the Sapphire is the best choice.  Royal is a larger ship and can't do the inside passage.  Grand and Sapphire are sister ships, but Sapphire has better viewing promenade and skywalkers.

Specifically, Sapphire cruisetour, cruise first.

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We're looking at maybe booking our first Princess and first Alaska cruise also.

From what I've read here, the Sapphire is the best choice.  Royal is a larger ship and can't do the inside passage.  Grand and Sapphire are sister ships, but Sapphire has better viewing promenade and skywalkers.

Specifically, Sapphire cruisetour, cruise first.

cruise first? - any particular reason why? - most on here seem to want land first, then relax on cruise

just wondering...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

cruise first? - any particular reason why? - most on here seem to want land first, then relax on cruise

just wondering...

First and foremost, we like the idea of cruising to Alaska. Really builds up the excitement, and makes it part of an adventure.

Also, we did a Disney Cruise/WDW trip (1 week each), and we did that one cruise first also, though most say to do WDW first, and then relax on the cruise.  We decided that if we did WDW first, we'd be too tired to really enjoy all the cruise had to offer, and we were right!  

For an Alaskan adventure, we can relax at home.  Cruise first, we'll have the energy to enjoy the cruise and exciting excursions, and then have energy to enjoy the land.

Also, flying to Alaska is much harder than to Vancouver.  By going to Vancouver, we can take it easy for a night before the cruise.  Flying to Alaska, we'd lose that first day in ALASKA recouping from the trip (we're east coast).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

First and foremost, we like the idea of cruising to Alaska. Really builds up the excitement, and makes it part of an adventure.

Also, we did a Disney Cruise/WDW trip (1 week each), and we did that one cruise first also, though most say to do WDW first, and then relax on the cruise.  We decided that if we did WDW first, we'd be too tired to really enjoy all the cruise had to offer, and we were right!  

For an Alaskan adventure, we can relax at home.  Cruise first, we'll have the energy to enjoy the cruise and exciting excursions, and then have energy to enjoy the land.

Also, flying to Alaska is much harder than to Vancouver.  By going to Vancouver, we can take it easy for a night before the cruise.  Flying to Alaska, we'd lose that first day in ALASKA recouping from the trip (we're east coast).

To play devils advocate (and since it's not my money!) Consider a one way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, THEN star the cruise tour with the land 'first' (middle now) and then you will cruise back, making flying into or out of Alaska a non issue.... and if you go Inside for the first cruise up, it may be no more expensive, and less tiring than flying in or out of Alaska!.... And IF you needed, you could even consider flying to Seattle and crossing the border by car or other means, reducing the issues of international flights! 

I would want to see the itineraries, time in ports, and details!

That might be just as important as the ship.

I haven't seen the program yet, but am wondering if I can assume these Voyage of the Glacier itineraries are about the same as they are next year.  I would want to see all the ships and their detailed itineraries.

Edited by Wishing on a star

This season (and may be only this past season), many of the passengers who did the land portion first caught covid and missed their cruise.  

I haven't done a cruise tour in a long time, but I would opt for the land portion first and then relax on the cruise (pre-covid days).

I would choose the Sapphire/Grand over a Royal Ship.  Nicer promenade deck and viewing areas.  Less people.  I am a Grand Princess Cheerleader but the Sapphire is probably a better sister ship.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, Wishing on a star said:

I would want to see the itineraries, time in ports, and details!

That might be just as important as the ship.

I haven't seen the program yet, but am wondering if I can assume these Voyage of the Glacier itineraries are about the same as they are next year.  I would want to see all the ships and their detailed itineraries.

Based on the document provided earlier in the thread, it appears the times will probably be the same as 2023.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:37 AM, fpsphil said:

Hope they open booking soon. Want to book the sapphire for 2024

Captains Circle on 12/6, everyone else 12/7. I sent my requirements to my mom (my TA 😁) last night.  We've been talking so she knows what I want. I gave her a range of cabins, cabin category, and deck. I'm nothing if not thorough.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Priszm said:

Captains Circle on 12/6, everyone else 12/7. I sent my requirements to my mom (my TA 😁) last night.  We've been talking so she knows what I want. I gave her a range of cabins, cabin category, and deck. I'm nothing if not thorough.

So we signed up for a Captain's circle number to get the first responders offers, but we haven't taken a Princess cruise yet.

So, can we book on 12/6, or have to wait until 12/7?