Covid on QM2

Jacqueline

20 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We are not afraid of booking [roll on Tuesday] and will, if we think it prudent, continue to wear masks in small, crowded places such as lifts but that's our decision. If it's mandatory, OK, and if not mandated at all, still OK and we will continue to do our own thing. 🙂

Exactly this. We are on QM2 from 2 December. We are both fully vaccinated and boosted - 4 shots each in total, and will not wear masks unless they are mandatory - if they are then we will wear them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Exactly this. We are on QM2 from 2 December. We are both fully vaccinated and boosted - 4 shots each in total, and will not wear masks unless they are mandatory - if they are then we will wear them.

We hopefully  will all wear masks if mandatory 

The real question we want answers too is "At what threshold infection level will Cunard make masks mandatory "

Currently infection rates in England are at 2% , a low figure for which there are no recommendations to wear masks anywhere .

There have been two peaks in 2022  at 8% , and 6%. Neither of which resulted in general mask wearing , but people were asked to wear masks in specific situations,  e.g. hospitals,  GP's surgery, crowded transport.

I would like Cunard to be open, 

To tell passengers infection rates on board, publish the numbers so passengers can take informed decisions 

And let us know the rules , for example.

To say below X percentage no protocols, masks voluntary 

X to Y percentage,  this will happen e.g masks mandatory 

Above Y percentage extra protocols, e.g. daily testing

Edited by Windsurfboy

@Windsurfboyno cruiseline does this and don’t expect that this will be the case ever. 
I agree with previous posters like @Victoria2that we trust the captain to make decisions that are in the best interests of the passengers. Sadly, I also agree with previous poster that Covid is going to be a part of the landscape for sometime to come. And for that reason, a cruise might not be the best option for those who previously favored them.

A poster on another social media forum lost her husband to Covid/ pneumonia last week which he contracted on the QV which is down under, where summer should be taking some pressure off the Covid/pneumonia season. They boarded on Nov 7 and didn’t look very old or fragile. Just over a month ago she was posting all the excited questions we often do before boarding, 

29 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

@Windsurfboyno cruiseline does this and don’t expect that this will be the case ever. 
I agree with previous posters like @Victoria2that we trust the captain to make decisions that are in the best interests of the passengers. Sadly, I also agree with previous poster that Covid is going to be a part of the landscape for sometime to come. And for that reason, a cruise might not be the best option for those who previously favored them.

Just because no cruise line has been open with its guests about covid infections , that doesn't  mean it's not a good idea. One wonders why they are reluctant to be open.

As to trusting captain to make decisions that are best interests of passengers.  Captains are exceptionally well qualified in terms of ship safety and management. I don't think any of then are experts in public health,  they rely on advice from experts on land, who develop protocols in advance which Captains follow. Again there is no reason not to be open about these. Of course, being open is not in the mindset of cruise companies.  It might not be likely,  but that doesn't make it wrong.

It's  sad to hear of anyone dieing from covid following a cruise, but cases are very rare so mustn't be the excuse for excessive restrictions. As you say a cruise may not be for everyone. Even those of us who are fit and healthy and fully vaccinated accept there is a risk in living with Covid. It's a risk we have chosen to take.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just because no cruise line has been open with its guests about covid infections , that doesn't  mean it's not a good idea. One wonders why they are reluctant to be open.

As to trusting captain to make decisions that are best interests of passengers.  Captains are exceptionally well qualified in terms of ship safety and management. I don't think any of then are experts in public health,  they rely on advice from experts on land, who develop protocols in advance which Captains follow. Again there is no reason not to be open about these. Of course, being open is not in the mindset of cruise companies.  It might not be likely,  but that doesn't make it wrong.

It's  sad to hear of anyone dieing from covid following a cruise, but cases are very rare so mustn't be the excuse for excessive restrictions. As you say a cruise may not be for everyone. Even those of us who are fit and healthy and fully vaccinated accept there is a risk in living with Covid. It's a risk we have chosen to take.

As  Jacqueline  mentioned my name and my comment was about trusting Cunard to look after us, as best they can, I am guessing she refers to ''the Captain'' as  Cunard's given representative onboard and who will be following the company protocols.

I would like the company to be open but then I reckon I'm sensible and wouldn't go into a melt down if what seemed to be rising numbers were broadcast,

Can we say that about every passenger? No idea but it doesn't trouble me too much either way as we will follow our own methods, whatever any others do.

53 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I would expect every cruise line to treat its passengers as sensible adults.

Forgot to say in May Saga announced covid cases every day on our 4 week not Black sea cruise.

Of course. That goes without saying.

Unfortunately, that does not mean all passengers will be sensible.

15 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

We hopefully  will all wear masks if mandatory 

The real question we want answers too is "At what threshold infection level will Cunard make masks mandatory "

Currently infection rates in England are at 2% , a low figure for which there are no recommendations to wear masks anywhere .

There have been two peaks in 2022  at 8% , and 6%. Neither of which resulted in general mask wearing , but people were asked to wear masks in specific situations,  e.g. hospitals,  GP's surgery, crowded transport.

I would like Cunard to be open, 

To tell passengers infection rates on board, publish the numbers so passengers can take informed decisions 

And let us know the rules , for example.

To say below X percentage no protocols, masks voluntary 

X to Y percentage,  this will happen e.g masks mandatory 

Above Y percentage extra protocols, e.g. daily testing

FWIW you do know that on QM2 in August/September at least during the Eastbound T/A, Fijords trip that the onboard Covid testers - 4 of them - hung out in the club and with the passengers. Though the testers are classed as both passenger and crew like onboard guest entertainers so they have above deck cabins. Conducting themselves like that is bad form no? If they go positive what happens to the testing operation?

But what's to stop you getting Covid if you forgo cruising in favour of a land based holiday?  Covid is not going to say 'ah, you're in a hotel so I won't infect you'.  It is simply everywhere.

In the meantime DH (who is vulnerable), our DD and myself are very much looking forward to our Christmas and New Year cruise on the Queen Victoria.  Let someone else cook the turkey for a change!

We will, of course, take note of any precautions that are (hopefully not) issued by the Captain.

• Like 2

Having done several cruises this year, we will continue to aim to take voyages in the future, but also do land-based holidays - not because there is a significant difference in risk being at sea as opposed to being on land, but until it gets to a voyage it is not possible to know ahead whether there will be an outbreak of Covid, and whether or not increased measures will need to be brought in when you are on board. You have to do what you can to plan to enjoy life - and accept the risk is non-zero that Covid, or any other virus or bacterium, could emerge at a late stage - that's life!  If things look near the departure date that case numbers are rising to levels where too many people may have spoiled holidays then we can always cancel. But also it is easier to get suitable treatment on land than at sea so more likely that a land based holiday would be less impacted by any surge of Covid locally. Covid will be with the human population indefinitely, just as flu does impact some percentage of the population each year so we have no choice but to live with that risk, at whatever level it is and varies over time.  However I expect the majority of people will still plan holidays and the vast majority of people will have a happy and healthy holiday, whether at sea or on land.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Having done several cruises this year, we will continue to aim to take voyages in the future, but also do land-based holidays - not because there is a significant difference in risk being at sea as opposed to being on land, but until it gets to a voyage it is not possible to know ahead whether there will be an outbreak of Covid, and whether or not increased measures will need to be brought in when you are on board. You have to do what you can to plan to enjoy life - and accept the risk is non-zero that Covid, or any other virus or bacterium, could emerge at a late stage - that's life!  If things look near the departure date that case numbers are rising to levels where too many people may have spoiled holidays then we can always cancel. But also it is easier to get suitable treatment on land than at sea so more likely that a land based holiday would be less impacted by any surge of Covid locally. Covid will be with the human population indefinitely, just as flu does impact some percentage of the population each year so we have no choice but to live with that risk, at whatever level it is and varies over time.  However I expect the majority of people will still plan holidays and the vast majority of people will have a happy and healthy holiday, whether at sea or on land.

I am not sure about it being easier to get suitable treatment on land. Cunard would have given my husband anti-virals, while he would not have been eligible under NHS criteria.

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I am not sure about it being easier to get suitable treatment on land. Cunard would have given my husband anti-virals, while he would not have been eligible under NHS criteria.

One of our bits of pre-cruise research was to make sure the treatment was available onboard.

The NHS criteria is, and I have no idea if this has changed as we haven't had need to test the system,  strict re Covid anti-virals.

My husband has a special test kit and then numbers to call should he have caught the virus. As non vulnerable, I would not have been afforded the same conduit.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

One of our bits of pre-cruise research was to make sure the treatment was available onboard.

The NHS criteria is, and I have no idea if this has changed as we haven't had need to test the system,  strict re Covid anti-virals.

My husband has a special test kit and then numbers to call should he have caught the virus. As non vulnerable, I would not have been afforded the same conduit.

The NHS criteria are very strict: a friend of mine with quite serious immunity problems was told she wasn’t eligible. On the other hand, all you need on Cunard is $900.

• Haha 1