Price drop but service charge to avail of it?

LauraAnneC

I’m due to sail on the Getaway on 6 February. There’s a price drop of €105 since I booked my cruise. I spoke with NCL and they told me there is a service fee to change the booking of €180!  
From what I’ve seen on the lists here, I thought if it was before final payment, you could amend the price without penalty. Have I understood this incorrectly? I’m in Ireland and have booked directly online. 

thanks!

Laura

18 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

I’m due to sail on the Getaway on 6 February. There’s a price drop of €105 since I booked my cruise. I spoke with NCL and they told me there is a service fee to change the booking of €180!  
From what I’ve seen on the lists here, I thought if it was before final payment, you could amend the price without penalty. Have I understood this incorrectly? I’m in Ireland and have booked directly online. 

thanks!

Laura

Sadly everything Europeans, Brits (and some other countries) change or cancel accrues an amendment fee or loses you your deposit 😉

There is a way to get round it - get yourself a good US travel agent and reap the same benefits and opportunities as Americans 

Edited by Lobbylin
Typo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

thanks!

Laura

You indicate you are still outside of final payment. Final payment in US is 120 days before departure. Not sure of the European time frame. If so, just cancel the booking and rebook at the lower price, saving the service fee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

You indicate you are still outside of final payment. Final payment in US is 120 days before departure. Not sure of the European time frame. If so, just cancel the booking and rebook at the lower price, saving the service fee.

No can do…. Different rules for non-US bookings 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

My final payment date is 7 January 

22 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

In Europe you can’t cancel without penalty.

• Thanks 1

Years ago, I read that European Terms and Conditions were negotiated by the Travel Agencies.  Many tout the advantages of these European T&C (for example compensation for missed ports) but these T&C come at a price.  Fees for price drops are just one.  The European T&C are designed to protect the Travel Agents and the Cruise Lines, not the passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sometimes use a travel agent that gives me Marriott points, and they have a $100 change / cancel fee. So any change for a drop in price has to take that into account.

For the OP, your country will have different laws and regulations than what I see in the US. That makes it confusing if you try and book in another country. There may be things normally included in the Irish booking that are not included in the US booking, so take any advice from someone out of your country with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, cruiserbear55 said:

It doesn't work that way in Europe.

• Thanks 1