Covid test before cruise

Nebr.cruiser

We're cruising out of Sydney in February.  I know we have to have a Covid test before boarding.  Obviously a PCR test isn't going to work, coming from the US, as they have to be 48 hours before.  I have read that the rapid antigen tests are available at supermarkets and pharmacies.  Any idea of prices?

Are these available to purchase by non-Australian citizens?  Is there any way to get a test that isn't a self test?  I have doubts about being able to do it right on my phone.  

Also, it says 24 hours before.  Does that mean that, say we board at noon, we would have to have our test no earlier than noon the day before?  What happens if boarding is delayed and the 24 hours is up?  I guess we could just take the test as late as feasible the day before.

Thanks!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

48 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We're cruising out of Sydney in February.  I know we have to have a Covid test before boarding.  Obviously a PCR test isn't going to work, coming from the US, as they have to be 48 hours before.  I have read that the rapid antigen tests are available at supermarkets and pharmacies.  Any idea of prices?

Are these available to purchase by non-Australian citizens?  Is there any way to get a test that isn't a self test?  I have doubts about being able to do it right on my phone.  

Also, it says 24 hours before.  Does that mean that, say we board at noon, we would have to have our test no earlier than noon the day before?  What happens if boarding is delayed and the 24 hours is up?  I guess we could just take the test as late as feasible the day before.

Thanks!

You can take a self test with you. Do it there, take a pic of results, or even take the test stick to show at port (ugg, that what they suggested).

RAT available for about $20 for a box of 5 tests.

If you dont tell them you are American you should be OK.

I dont know what you mean about your phone, we stick a small stick up our nose. not a phone.

As for timing, why not the morning of sailing, leave the bad news for last.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies.  I was under the impression that the RAT tests had to be monitored or proctored using our phone.  That's what I'd be worried about--yes, I know many, many people manage it, so I suppose we could too--just trying to think ahead; probably over-thinking.  But when making that long trek, just don't want to goof it up.  

The recommended tests by Princess are 2 for $65.  I just can see me goofing up the phone procedure.

I'm pretty certain they'd know we aren't Australian as soon as we open our mouth!

Good idea about taking test as late as possible, before boarding.  

We can get free RAT tests here, due to our age.  Would those be acceptable?  I'm not sure if they are proctored or monitored by phone as we haven't used them.  If we can do the test and then just take a picture of the result (not sure how that works), great.  There will be 4 of us, so surely we can figure it up.

Do the test either late the day or the morning of boarding your cruise. The test does not need to be proctored and you are able to use your own test kits. Take a photo of the test result with your phone which will be date and time stamped and have it ready to show if required when checking in. 

• Like 2

Our cruise in February starts in New Zealand and then travels to Australia for two ports before finally disembarking in Sydney.  Does anyone know if the the testing rules would be the same in this case versus starting the cruise in Australia?

Also @possum52do you have some official website, at least for Australia, where it says you can just take a photo of the test sticks.  I can't believe that would be accepted since it could be so easily faked.

On 12/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, possum52 said:

Do the test either late the day or the morning of boarding your cruise. The test does not need to be proctored and you are able to use your own test kits. Take a photo of the test result with your phone which will be date and time stamped and have it ready to show if required when checking in. 

Thank you!  That's exactly what I was needing to find out.  I believe we can handle that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Torquer said:

Our cruise in February starts in New Zealand and then travels to Australia for two ports before finally disembarking in Sydney.  Does anyone know if the the testing rules would be the same in this case versus starting the cruise in Australia?

Also @possum52do you have some official website, at least for Australia, where it says you can just take a photo of the test sticks.  I can't believe that would be accepted since it could be so easily faked.

You haven't said which ship you are sailing on  - this link is for Princess Covid protocols in Australia -

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/au-cruises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

If you are sailing with another cruise line, I would suggest you check their website for up to date information on Australian Covid protocols and for NZ departures as well.

These are links to Australian and State government websites which may help.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-07/18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel/cruise-travel

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel/cruising-rules/cruise-factsheet

On the Australia New Zealand Cruisers board, there are quite a few threads concerning passengers'  experiences with covid protocols for boarding, including pre boarding testing. I would suggest you have a read. Australia and New Zealand Cruisers

Edited by possum52

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, JeffroK said:

Torquer,

This is a ship requirement, not a Government edict.

Princess require a RAT, Photo ID and proof of time/date.

We have just returned from Coral Princess to NZ. The morning of departure we photographed the plastic vial showing our negative test alongside our drivers licence. No one would ever want to see the testing stick. On this cruise it was compulsory for everyone to do another RAT test (supplied) on Day 3. You then had to show the test result to your room attendant and the results would have been recorded. Many people objected to the test but it did identify some new positive cases who were then quarantined in their cabin for 5 days or until they returned negative.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We too are needing a RAT test before boarding Viking Mars in March.  The directions from Viking say we have 3 choices and one is a self administered RAT.

"Self-administered RAT test (i.e., antigen) taken within 24 hours prior to boarding your ship. (We recommend you take a picture of your test results with your phone to ensure you have dated proof of your negative result.)"

So am I clear on everyone is saying all we need to do is not have this test monitored/proctored by a professional, take a pic with phone with date and time of test?  

I ask as it seems strange to not have someone monitor/proctor as who says the results I have a pic of are mine?  Not that I would ever risk mine or others health, there are others who think its' not big deal.

We do have tests we plan to bring with just in case.

4 hours ago, DesertCruiser2000 said:

We too are needing a RAT test before boarding Viking Mars in March.  The directions from Viking say we have 3 choices and one is a self administered RAT.

"Self-administered RAT test (i.e., antigen) taken within 24 hours prior to boarding your ship. (We recommend you take a picture of your test results with your phone to ensure you have dated proof of your negative result.)"

So am I clear on everyone is saying all we need to do is not have this test monitored/proctored by a professional, take a pic with phone with date and time of test?  

I ask as it seems strange to not have someone monitor/proctor as who says the results I have a pic of are mine?  Not that I would ever risk mine or others health, there are others who think its' not big deal.

We do have tests we plan to bring with just in case.

Other cruiselines (like Princess and HAL) have the same guidelines, except that it should include a government issued photo ID.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 6:05 PM, Torquer said:

Yes, you can take a photo and yes it can be faked. It does seem silly but they do allow you to take a photo

• 2 weeks later...

Due to researching for a friend, there are no longer protocols for vaccination and testing requirements for flying into or cruising in and around Australia or New Zealand.

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19/personal/travelling-to-nz/

Cruise lines appear to have not caught up with this. Agreed, this is most likely a moving target. After experiencing the stress of flying partway around the planet last May, and then having to test, we cancelled our Transpacific for this March. Due to the time factor, it was impossible to test at home before flying down under.

3 hours ago, nini said:

Due to researching for a friend, there are no longer protocols for vaccination and testing requirements for flying into or cruising in and around Australia or New Zealand.

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19/personal/travelling-to-nz/

Cruise lines appear to have not caught up with this. Agreed, this is most likely a moving target. After experiencing the stress of flying partway around the planet last May, and then having to test, we cancelled our Transpacific for this March. Due to the time factor, it was impossible to test at home before flying down under.

You could have had a RAT test in Australia before you embarked.

• Like 2