Viking Sea: Deluxe Veranda (DV5) vs. Penthouse Veranda (PV1) similar perks?

ramidon1

Considering first Viking cruise in the Med with another couple.  They booked a penthouse veranda & we may book Deluxe Veranda.  Will they have perks that will affect our experience traveling together?  Mostly concerned with early disembark, preferred excursions…..I believe they get more access to chefs table and the Giovannis Table (no biggie).  We do not need to be attached at the hip all the time however, I don’t want to go if it’s going to be awkward or make our friends not want to take advantage of all of their perks to wait for us to get off board for example.  Thoughts?  I tread descriptions but they are somewhat vague.

We have traveled where friends were in different cabin categories.  Yes PV gets to choose excursions, restaurant reservations and spa treatments before DV.  But we all got on excursions we wanted (have more then one choice) and we were able to arrange dining together once on board.  Viking does not give tender times or tickets to any cabin class and embarkation or disembarkation is not determined by cabin level either.  So no big deal.  They will get free pressing service and shoe shines, a bottle of champagne in their fridge and little bottles of alcohol that are replenished daily in the PV whereas the DV only has soda replenished daily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be sure to coordinate with each other as to the time of the selected excursion so when the DV timeslot opens you can choose the same one. Also worth noting, some excursions will result in multiple groups/busses/tour guides. Once onboard you can request to be placed in the same group.

Some popular optional excursions may sell out quickly so be sure to book the DV as soon as the timeslot opens. As noted in other threads, plan ahead and determine your top priority, then book and pay for it immediately. Some people put everything in their shopping cart only to find out at checkout an excursion has filled up. Placing it in the shopping cart does not guarantee a spot, only payment does.

52 minutes ago, ramidon1 said:

I am now confused about excursions…..I thought they were included but is it just a matter of pre-booking?  Or is there additional cost?

There included excursions and optional excursions available at additional cost. Both the free and optional excursions must be booked in advanced (Viking needs a head count).

You can drill down on the website to the port on the day to day info of the cruise and see what is typically available. For example, here is Barcelona. The ones not marked “Included” are at additional cost.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

8 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Is it easier to book an excursion for just one person?

No. The process is the same. Both names will appear and you select the times for each person. This allows you go solo or, if you like, book separate tours or the same tour at different times. Please note that only one stateroom pax should be signed into MVJ at the same time. If both are logged on, one will be locked out of any updates.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, ramidon1 said:

I am now confused about excursions…..I thought they were included but is it just a matter of pre-booking?  Or is there additional cost?

There is one "included" excursion per port, usually some sort of overview, and a slew of optional excursions.  Occasionally, there are two included per port but you may only choose one. We do have to reserve a space and best done prior to boarding. 

12 hours ago, ramidon1 said:

Considering first Viking cruise in the Med with another couple.  They booked a penthouse veranda & we may book Deluxe Veranda.  Will they have perks that will affect our experience traveling together?  Mostly concerned with early disembark, preferred excursions…..I believe they get more access to chefs table and the Giovannis Table (no biggie).  We do not need to be attached at the hip all the time however, I don’t want to go if it’s going to be awkward or make our friends not want to take advantage of all of their perks to wait for us to get off board for example.  Thoughts?  I tread descriptions but they are somewhat vague.

If you book a DV you can't ride on your buddies' coattails when it comes to advance booking specialty restaurants and shorex but most problems can be remedied with a phone to Viking once booking opens for your DVs or once you get on board  -- with the caveat that post-Covid, things involving reservations are not quite back to normal. You will still be limited to one advanced reservation for each specialty restaurant but at least the one reservation can be linked with your friends before you board.   

Disembarking depends on your transfer time not your cabin #. If you don't have Viking transfers you may disembark any time.  You will all be asked to vacate your cabins by 7am.  

PV may get more advanced dining reservations, but once on board you may reserve as many as they will let you, so they can add you to any other reservations your friends already have.  They do try to give everybody a chance.  On a one week cruise, it may be harder to get reservations.

So, I hope this covers the bumps in the road and that you decide to join your buddies for a great time in the Med with Viking!

Now as for dealing with CruiseCritic boards, post editing has a 20(??) minute window and once posted cannot be deleted except at the discretion of the management, even duplicates.  It is possible to edit the duplicate to delete everything and replace with a word or two.  I like "Oops," others use something about duplicate post.  In any case, it is all to minor to worry about.  Duplicates happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Yes, but since most people book as couples the probability of only one space being available is low.

Not true. I’ve run into only one space available a few times. We’ve booked one of us, and usually we’re able to get the other before MVJ closed.

10 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

It’s always been 8 am on our cruises, including our disembark off the Sea in Barcelona last April.

It has been 7am on our last two cruises, both post-Covid -- and on ships that were less than half full.  If they are back to 8am fleet wide, I'm not complaining.  

• Like 1

Having stayed in DV and PV cabins, we prefer the PV because of the extra space in the cabin.

Also my husband does use the PV beverages 1 or 2 times each day.

Viking does not limit guest bring their prefer beverage on board. We will ofter purchase wine and/or local beers when in port to drink while on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cbob3849 said:

We are traveling with another couple.  When making an advanced specialty dinner reservations, is it possible to make a reservation for four, or does it have to be for two?

Yes, it’s easy. One couple makes the reservation in MVJ & clicks invite other passengers. You’ll need the name & booking number for the people you are inviting. It’ll use one of their guaranteed reservations as well. Also you can’t invite someone in a stateroom class that isn’t open for reservations yet. So, a PV can’t invite a DV until DV reservations are open.

4 minutes ago, katlew said:

Also you can’t invite someone in a stateroom class that isn’t open for reservations yet. So, a PV can’t invite a DV until DV reservations are open.

I'm just repeating on big bold letters because it is a very important point.

While katlew's suggestions works, it isn't the only way to do it. The couple who can book soonest should make their reservation as soon as possible. When booking has opened for the second, call Viking and ask them to add the second couple (keep calling until you find an agent who knows how to do it; else e-mail tellus@vikingcruises.com). You will need name and booking number of the the second couple. If the second couple has fewer advanced reservation this will count as their advanced reservation(s) for that restaurant. For the rest of the reservations, you will have to wait until you board the ship to join them.

• Like 1

We cruised and traveled in April with friends who were in a PV and we were in the lowly V1. There was not a single issue with the difference in stateroom categories. We had no problems syncing our dinner times in The Resturaunt, Manfredi’s and The Chef’s Table. All of our excursions we were able to be together in the same group. Because their room was bigger be would gather in their room/veranda before dinner and have drinks.

3 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

We cruised and traveled in April with friends who were in a PV and we were in the lowly V1. There was not a single issue with the difference in stateroom categories. We had no problems syncing our dinner times in The Resturaunt, Manfredi’s and The Chef’s Table. All of our excursions we were able to be together in the same group. Because their room was bigger be would gather in their room/veranda before dinner and have drinks.

I hope you didn’t disrupt the neighbors! 😉