Local Buses NZ - Port Chalmers and Lyttleton

We've just had our first two Port visits on NZ itinerary on the Grand Princess.

At both ports, Princess has worked with a third party to provide a shuttle service - Port Chalmers to Dunedin, and Lyttleton to Christchurch.  Cost of both are $35 return (or $20 one way) payable direct to operator in NZ currency or credit card.

For those that would like to use the local Buses: these are considerably less in cost but becoming extremely more in demand by ship guests, putting pressure on the system. Today in Lyttleton, everyone caught the free short shuttle out of the working Port. Our driver let us know that the local bus to Christchurch was $2.20 NZD and she would drop those near it's first stop just outside the port - it does continue on and collect passengers from the Lyttleton township but it would be much more likely to be full by then.  The free short shuttle then dropped rest of passengers off near the information centre in town.

In Port Chalmers yesterday, ship passengers were gathering near the start of the main street (outside Georgie Girl shop) for the local bus to Dunedin.  I was told it cost $2.50.  When I watched, not everyone fitted in, with some waiting for next bus.  The driver did ask for local residents to board before ship passengers.

We chose not to travel to either Dunedin or Christchurch, as have been to those cities many times, by sea and road trips.  At both ports helpful volunteers were there with maps and suggestions for nice walks around the port villages. 

In Port Chalmers, we headed up to the Church, then continued to the lookout and Rhododendron Dell (a lovely project by the local Lions Club) - the track then meandered through the historic cemetery down to Carey's Bay. Nice water views and a historic pub there.  From there a flat walk back to town and ship.

In Lyttleton, we looked around the main street then walked up to the Time Ball, an historic navigation aid that 'drops the ball' from the tower at 1pm each day.  Plenty of interesting information up there. Then a pleasant walk back to town centre and free shuttle to port and ship.

• Like 5

Dunedin port better get their act together.

In early January there will be two quite large ships in town at the same time.

Many passengers will just give their cruise lines the finger for charging $ 20 or 30 for a ride to town.

The local buses cost a fraction of this, but will be crowded. So the city better put on a few specials for a few hours 

10 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

In Port Chalmers yesterday, ship passengers were gathering near the start of the main street (outside Georgie Girl shop) for the local bus to Dunedin.  I was told it cost $2.50.  When I watched, not everyone fitted in, with some waiting for next bus.  The driver did ask for local residents to board before ship passengers.

Were there any local tour operators at Port Chalmers available for on-the-day bookings? I've been to Dunedin a couple of times before and done the Taieri Gorge railway and the city tour (and walked up Baldwin St, just to say I'd done it). I wouldn't mind a trip to Larnach Castle or Olveston House, but Princess' prices are stupidly high and more than I'm prepared to pay.

27 minutes ago, Bazandgiz said:

Were there any local tour operators at Port Chalmers available for on-the-day bookings? I've been to Dunedin a couple of times before and done the Taieri Gorge railway and the city tour (and walked up Baldwin St, just to say I'd done it). I wouldn't mind a trip to Larnach Castle or Olveston House, but Princess' prices are stupidly high and more than I'm prepared to pay.

I am recently back from the Carnival Luminosa trip to NZ. I had booked an independent boat/wildlife trip before arriving. I did notice in the terminal building (Port Chalmers) there were numerous posters/info for other operators. I wish I had taken a picture so I know for next time. But have no doubt there will be non-ship options for you. I can ask on my cruise group if anyone noticed trips to the Larnach Castle or Olveston House?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bazandgiz said:

Hi. 

When I last looked, there were a handful of local companies, offering pretty much the same (of course) as the ships. Prices, more or less, matched the ships excursions. Many tours were not available on cruise ship days, which would mean that the cruise lines grab most availability. 

As for the train: it is fully chartered to the cruise lines as far as we were able to work out. Furthermore the train only goes half way compared to pre-Covid days. That, and it would cost you a minimum of $300p.p. That is the very cheapest option we could find.

2 hours ago, chezzyr said:

I am recently back from the Carnival Luminosa trip to NZ. I had booked an independent boat/wildlife trip before arriving. I did notice in the terminal building (Port Chalmers) there were numerous posters/info for other operators. I wish I had taken a picture so I know for next time. But have no doubt there will be non-ship options for you. I can ask on my cruise group if anyone noticed trips to the Larnach Castle or Olveston House?

If you could ask in your group, that would be amazing, thank you!

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Hi. 

When I last looked, there were a handful of local companies, offering pretty much the same (of course) as the ships. Prices, more or less, matched the ships excursions. Many tours were not available on cruise ship days, which would mean that the cruise lines grab most availability. 

As for the train: it is fully chartered to the cruise lines as far as we were able to work out. Furthermore the train only goes half way compared to pre-Covid days. That, and it would cost you a minimum of $300p.p. That is the very cheapest option we could find.

Oh yes, I don't want to do the Taieri Gorge again. I really liked it, but that was when it was a full trip and cost about $90 booked direct. A half sized trip at 3 times the price doesn't excite me much.

14 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

At both ports, Princess has worked with a third party to provide a shuttle service - Port Chalmers to Dunedin, and Lyttleton to Christchurch.  Cost of both are $35 return (or $20 one way) payable direct to operator in NZ currency or credit card.

For those that would like to use the local Buses: these are considerably less in cost but becoming extremely more in demand by ship guests, putting pressure on the system. Today in Lyttleton, everyone caught the free short shuttle out of the working Port. Our driver let us know that the local bus to Christchurch was $2.20 NZD and she would drop those near it's first stop just outside the port - it does continue on and collect passengers from the Lyttleton township but it would be much more likely to be full by then.  The free short shuttle then dropped rest of passengers off near the information centre in town.

Has anyone checked the time difference for the $35 shuttle, compared with the time to get the free port shuttle to the towns, then wait for a local bus, then the time for the local bus to get the main towns, including all the local stops????

Then maybe given some thought to the locals who need to use the local busses?

Just asking?😬😉

6 hours ago, Bazandgiz said:

Sorry, can't say that I noticed any at this particular Port. I'll ask around if others remembered.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Dunedin port better get their act together.

In early January there will be two quite large ships in town at the same time.

Many passengers will just give their cruise lines the finger for charging $ 20 or 30 for a ride to town.

The local buses cost a fraction of this, but will be crowded. So the city better put on a few specials for a few hours 

The discrepancy between the $35 and the local bus does seem big. Perhaps if Dunedin and Christchurch want to grow their tourism post-covid downturn, they could consider using idle school buses during say 9.30-2.30 for around $10? Just a thought. May take pressure off local Buses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bazandgiz said:

If you could ask in your group, that would be amazing, thank you!

Have asked. Some did independent tours when they got off the ship and just arranged at terminal building. They think there might have been options for the castle and house you mentioned. There is a board on the right featuring various operators when you enter the building/shed. You could also just try researching online and making contact with some operators before your cruise? If I get any other info will let you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tripmode33 said:

The discrepancy between the $35 and the local bus does seem big. Perhaps if Dunedin and Christchurch want to grow their tourism post-covid downturn, they could consider using idle school buses during say 9.30-2.30 for around $10? Just a thought. May take pressure off local Buses.

I believe that school buses are used for the Port Chalmers-Dunedin transfer. On one cruise there was a very long queue in Dunedin for the return trip to the ship, and very few buses. The explanation given was that the buses were required for the school run for a long period in the afternoon.

Edited by Aus Traveller

4 hours ago, chezzyr said:

Have asked. Some did independent tours when they got off the ship and just arranged at terminal building. They think there might have been options for the castle and house you mentioned. There is a board on the right featuring various operators when you enter the building/shed. You could also just try researching online and making contact with some operators before your cruise? If I get any other info will let you know.

Thanks very much for that info, that's very helpful 🙂 

So, I just emailed the  Dunedin  city tourist board and asked if they plan to do something quickly about the bus situation between the port and town.

Given that most ships will be there during the school holidays, there shouldn't be a shortage of vehicles. 

And, as others mentioned,  the service is needed mostly for a few hours in the morning and again afternoon. 

I'll let you all know what they say.

If anything at all....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bazandgiz said:

Thanks very much for that info, that's very helpful 🙂 

Some more info from another cruiser:

"I went through Olveston House, cost me $3.00 return for local bus and $25 tour at Olveston. Just do your research on tour times. Bus stop in Main Street of Port Chalmers just join the queue, comes I think hourly. The walk up to Olveston House was around 15 mins but a steep street. Grab a map from the tour volunteers at Port Chalmers."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 10:30 PM, Tripmode33 said:

We chose not to travel to either Dunedin or Christchurch, as have been to those cities many times, by sea and road trips.  At both ports helpful volunteers were there with maps and suggestions for nice walks around the port villages. 

In Port Chalmers, we headed up to the Church, then continued to the lookout and Rhododendron Dell (a lovely project by the local Lions Club) - the track then meandered through the historic cemetery down to Carey's Bay. Nice water views and a historic pub there.  From there a flat walk back to town and ship.

In Lyttleton, we looked around the main street then walked up to the Time Ball, an historic navigation aid that 'drops the ball' from the tower at 1pm each day.  Plenty of interesting information up there. Then a pleasant walk back to town centre and free shuttle to port and ship.

If you want to do the ships provided shuttle how do you book?

Do you buy a ticket onboard or register interest onboard, and then pay locally?

We don’t want to miss out as we don’t want to do local buses.

Thanks.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, Ozwoody said:

Has anyone checked the time difference for the $35 shuttle, compared with the time to get the free port shuttle to the towns, then wait for a local bus, then the time for the local bus to get the main towns, including all the local stops????

Then maybe given some thought to the locals who need to use the local busses?

Just asking?😬😉

Years ago I did catch the local bus in to town and it was a slow Cook's tour.  However, it wasn't crowded with locals nor cruise passengers at that time.  I had time to walk around Port Chalmers on my return. 

Looking at the Hawaiian experience with free commercial shuttles, I'm wondering whether there is a similar opportunity for shops to provide a free/discount shuttle.  Passengers will always think twice about  a $70 per couple shuttle.  

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Have a look at the thread "Live(ish) from Westerdam..." where the writer has kindly detailed how the shuttle buses are currently operating right now and the costs.  It's a very long thread - the Port Chalmers info is on page 6

I've copied it below:

Shuttle buses were provided, again NZ $20 one way and NZ $35 return. Note these prices are set by the bus companies, not the cruise lines although it seems like they have set standard prices in both Dunedin and Christchurch. Personally I think it is a fair price as it is a true shuttle service, running directly from the port to the Octagon in Dunedin and back. The buses appeared to leave regularly, not waiting until they were full to capacity, which means they are doing more trips than they would if they waited to have full buses. Yes, local buses are cheaper but much slower. I've never taken a local bus to Port Chalmers but I reckon it would take close to an hour one way.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, LuckiePuris said:

If you want to do the ships provided shuttle how do you book?

Do you buy a ticket onboard or register interest onboard, and then pay locally?

We don’t want to miss out as we don’t want to do local buses.

Thanks.

On Princess the return shuttle is $35 for both Port Chalmers and Lyttleton. When you get off the ship you pay directly to the bus company before getting on the bus. Credit cards and $NZD cash are the only method of payment. You cannot pre purchase shuttle tickets from the ship.

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Julie and everyone: which would you recommend: Dunedin or Christchurch?  Not sure we want to do two long days with shuttles in a row.  Also to consider are the port towns.  Would appreciate your opinions.

Dunedin and Christchurch are both large cities with many attractions depending on where your interests lie. They need not be long days as you can return on a shuttle as early as you like. The port towns of Port Chalmers and Lyttleton are interesting but you could walk around both in an hour. We went in to the cities in the morning and returned after lunch to have a couple of drinks in the quaint old pubs in the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1