Local Buses NZ - Port Chalmers and Lyttleton

We are planning to go into Christchurch on our own to the Antarctic museum.  So we can take the cruise shuttle into the center of town and then take a bus or cab to the museum and reverse the same I assume after checking a timetable? We have 12 hours in port so feel like this is doable on our own. The cruise line wants $200 pp US for the same thing.  Surely we do it cheaper on our own? 

12 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are planning to go into Christchurch on our own to the Antarctic museum.  So we can take the cruise shuttle into the center of town and then take a bus or cab to the museum and reverse the same I assume after checking a timetable? We have 12 hours in port so feel like this is doable on our own. The cruise line wants $200 pp US for the same thing.  Surely we do it cheaper on our own? 

Exactly what we plan to do in a few weeks time. Definitely doable and much cheaper. You will need NZ cash to pay for the public bus if you use that, not credit card.

• Like 1

I live in Christchurch , the bus that goes to the airport is what you need, Antarctic Centre is out near the airport. Certainly won't cost that much. Actually if you ask bus driver they will tell when to get off . Bus runs every 30 min from bus interchange. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I have read this information multiple times. Does anyone know if it will be possible for a passenger to go into Lyttelton without a pre-arranged tour? We had hoped to grab lunch in a grocery store and then take the ferry to Diamond Harbour when we cruise to that port.

On 11/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, lyndarra said:

So pirates are still a thing!🏴‍☠️

I’ve been writing down prices from Royals website pre Black Friday sales which should start tomorrow.  I got a water pkg for 22.99.  They have now raised it to 32.99 so tomorrow they can lower it again and call it a sale.  

Excursion prices are the highest I’ve ever seen.  A few we bit on because we couldn’t figure out how to do it on our own.  Sometimes the cruise line buys out the train for instance.  Websites have not been too helpful.  I’m doing the Lone Pine Koalas by cab I think.  Some tours leave in a city before we could possibly get off the ship and get to the meeting point. It’s been frustrating.  Honestly if I’d known how hard all the planning was I might have canceled but we are committed now and will make it all work. 

17 hours ago, Delrae50 said:

I live in Christchurch , the bus that goes to the airport is what you need, Antarctic Centre is out near the airport. Certainly won't cost that much. Actually if you ask bus driver they will tell when to get off . Bus runs every 30 min from bus interchange. Hope this helps.

If we have to use the cruise shuttle into town as Christchurch is asking us to, is the bus interchange near?  I don’t mind taking the shuttle to keep the bus open for locals to the center of town but how will we find the #8 bus from there?

I've done the Anartatic Tour and then onto the Air Force Museum. But I just paid the ships tour. I couldn't be bothered with local buses and especially since there was two stops to get too. But it was well worth the money paid for.

But if its only one stop probably do able. 

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

If we have to use the cruise shuttle into town as Christchurch is asking us to, is the bus interchange near?  I don’t mind taking the shuttle to keep the bus open for locals to the center of town but how will we find the #8 bus from there?

With the high exchange rate.. it'll not cost you much to take an uber. Get the shuttle into town.. then catch an uber to the Antarctic centre. You can bus for next to nothing.. but you're only in Christchurch probably once.. so for a few bucks maximise the time (and simplifying things 🙂 ) by using an Uber. Afterwards, Uber back to Town.. do the touristy things in there such as the Botanical Gardens, Punting on the Avon, The Tram etc.. and then take the shuttle back to Port. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Firefly74 said:

I have read this information multiple times. Does anyone know if it will be possible for a passenger to go into Lyttelton without a pre-arranged tour? We had hoped to grab lunch in a grocery store and then take the ferry to Diamond Harbour when we cruise to that port.

The port at Lyttleton is a working port so you cannot walk out. The ship ru s shuttle into town all throughout the day, only takes about 5 minutes.

they drop you at the information centre and you use the same stop to go back to the ship.

it is a cute little town and not difficult to get around,

weare considering doing something similar, as we have been to Christchurch a couple of times.

cheers

Belinda

14 hours ago, BINDY31 said:

The port at Lyttleton is a working port so you cannot walk out. The ship ru s shuttle into town all throughout the day, only takes about 5 minutes.

they drop you at the information centre and you use the same stop to go back to the ship.

it is a cute little town and not difficult to get around,

weare considering doing something similar, as we have been to Christchurch a couple of times.

cheers

Belinda

This may no longer be possible with the new transport arrangements coming into effect this season. They are restricting access to Lyttleton it seems unless you have local tours booked.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, valantine80 said:

This may no longer be possible with the new transport arrangements coming into effect this season. They are restricting access to Lyttleton it seems unless you have local tours booked.

Just done Lyttelton 7th Nov and there are still buses into Lyttelton itself and drop off is Norwich Wharf. Buses open to all. 

• Like 1

I have read through this thread and also the announcement from the Christchurch Council regarding shuttle buses, but nowhere does it say the cost of the shuttle from Lyttleton Port into Christchurch. The Council simply says is it comparable with local transport, but don't put a dollar value on it. Does anyone know? I am planning for a group so it would be helpful to know.

I have found the answer to my question regarding the cost of a shuttle bus from Lyttleton to C'church. It is NZ$10 adult, NZ$5 child for unlimited travel in the day. (Under 5 y.o. have free travel.). The transport website also says that the only way to visit Lyttleton town is to go on the shuttle to Christchurch then return on a local bus to Lyttleton and do the reverse at the end of the day.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have found the answer to my question regarding the cost of a shuttle bus from Lyttleton to C'church. It is NZ$10 adult, NZ$5 child for unlimited travel in the day. (Under 5 y.o. have free travel.). The transport website also says that the only way to visit Lyttleton town is to go on the shuttle to Christchurch then return on a local bus to Lyttleton and do the reverse at the end of the day.

As of early Nov there was another change allowing cruisers to get free shuttle from ship to Lyttelton and on Royal Princess 7th Nov think the cost to Christchurch was $15 per person. 

1 minute ago, sagittarius said:

As of early Nov there was another change allowing cruisers to get free shuttle from ship to Lyttelton and on Royal Princess 7th Nov think the cost to Christchurch was $15 per person. 

Was it $15 one way or $15 return? The Christchurch Transport site has the cost of an all-day bus pass as NZ$10 per adult.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Grand Princess in Lyttelton yesterday. Princess provided pre booked shuttles to Christchurch for $15 AUD return. There was a free shuttle into Lyttelton that ran regularly. Once in Lyttelton you could wander the town at your leisure. At the bus stop adjacent to the shuttle stop they were also selling a day pass for the public bus for NZ$10, which could be paid by debit or credit card. You could also board the public bus and pay cash for your fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We were on Grand Princess in Lyttelton yesterday. Princess provided pre booked shuttles to Christchurch for $15 AUD return. There was a free shuttle into Lyttelton that ran regularly. Once in Lyttelton you could wander the town at your leisure. At the bus stop adjacent to the shuttle stop they were also selling a day pass for the public bus for NZ$10, which could be paid by debit or credit card. You could also board the public bus and pay cash for your fare.

Could you return to the ship from Lyttelton or did you have to go back to Christchurch and return on the shuttle?