Wonder of the Seas oversold 12/11/22

bavrail18

57 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Full?  LOL.  I assure you, the terminal one garage was not full for boarding on 11/28.  I was also on the shortened cruise, and I walked up the parking garage stairs for a quick look at level 2.  It was almost empty.  I could see a substantial part of the garage from my balcony…mostly empty.  Remember, disembarkation of Wonder started at 4:30am, so the garage at terminal 1 started clearing then.  Indy passengers cleared out later, but clear out they did.  The port did not reset the parking charge meter for the length of the Wonder cruise, so they would not let Wonder passengers use it.  It was set for the length of the Indy cruise, so if an Indy passenger wanted to wade through that horrid terminal one traffic that day, they were allowed in garage 1…of course they then had to find a way to terminal 5.  The port authority made a mess of things, even though they had plenty of notice of Wonder’s delay.  

They wouldn’t let us in. They told us the garage was only open to those on Independence. A few I spoke to told them they were on Independance and we’re allowed to parked in the garage. 

42 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

They wouldn’t let us in. They told us the garage was only open to those on Independence. A few I spoke to told them they were on Independance and we’re allowed to parked in the garage. 

I realize the port employees did not allow Wonder passengers into the garage, but I am saying it absolutely was not because the garage was full.  Obviously people were willing to pay the appropriate charge to park for Wonder’s 6 night cruise, but the machines were all set for Indy’s 4 night cruise.  The port mishandled the situation.  Also, at least from the southern approach on A1A, the ship name was not displayed on the informational port sign, so some passengers may have gone to the wrong terminal.  The port had plenty of notice yet handled it poorly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bavrail18 said:

Booked an Oceanview gty. Still do not have a stateroom assigned. Definitely not going to an inside cabin. They said in the email that if they do not get enough people to move they may have to cancel some bookings.

At this point hoping that we will be lucky enough to have our booking cancelled.

You would pass up a free trip over an inside cabin? I can't even imagine being that lucky. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

You would pass up a free trip over an inside cabin? I can't even imagine being that lucky. 

1 hour ago, bavrail18 said:

Yes

I have sailed in inside cabins and do not like them.

Can you just imagine being in an inside cabin for the world tour cruise. 270 days......on Serenade.

You couldn't even give me an inside cabin on that one for free. Couldn't stand being in an inside cabin no matter the cost.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Can you just imagine being in an inside cabin for the world tour cruise. 270 days......on Serenade.

You couldn't even give me an inside cabin on that one for free. Couldn't stand being in an inside cabin no matter the cost.

I wish they offered inside suites.  We like sleeping until we want to wake up, and curtains just don't do it well.  I also have zero interest in the balcony (partner vapes and can't do that on your balcony).

We do love bigger bathrooms and more stateroom space and suite privileges, but just have no interest in the balcony portion.

I have a holiday cruise in a WS and they are showing no available suites so I would LOVE to get downgraded to an interior with a FCC for the WS amount.  I'd take it in half a heartbeat!

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, bavrail18 said:

Booked an Oceanview gty. Still do not have a stateroom assigned. Definitely not going to an inside cabin. They said in the email that if they do not get enough people to move they may have to cancel some bookings.

At this point hoping that we will be lucky enough to have our booking cancelled.

Likely that is because you live in Florida.  For those who purchased non-refundable airline tickets already to Florida, that is not a realistic option unless they wanted to eat the cost of their airline tickets.

18 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

You and I feel the same.  If RCCL told me that they would let me cruise for free on our upcoming March cruise in an inside cabin and they just wanted my CP balcony for that switch, I would be all over that offer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

Likely that is because you live in Florida.  For those who purchased non-refundable airline tickets already to Florida, that is not a realistic option unless they wanted to eat the cost of their airline tickets.

You and I feel the same.  If RCCL told me that they would let me cruise for free on our upcoming March cruise in an inside cabin and they just wanted my CP balcony for that switch, I would be all over that offer.

When they are offering a downgrade to an inside cabin on the same cruise, it really does not matter where one lives.  People need to take the same flights or the same drive whether they sail in a balcony or an inside cabin.  Floridians are good targets for move over offers, but I meet lots of people who drive (rather than fly) to cruises from other states.  Furthermore, there are plenty of snowbirds with permanent addresses in other states who are in Florida for months.  As it is just an email offer, the cruiselines can cast a wider net than just Floridians.   I suspect they will get sufficient volunteers to switch to inside cabin in exchange for refund of cruise fare. The last time Wonder was oversold, they made offers to move people off the ship.  Then days before sailing, there were enough cancellations they had a few cabins to sell on that cruise.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, bavrail18 said:

They were offering a move to inside cabin and a refund of cruise fare. Still have to pay taxes and fees, port charges and gratuities.

If you don't mind an inside cabin ist's a great deal. 

Free cruise. A no-brainer.

• Like 4

On 12/6/2022 at 10:39 AM, lcpagejr said:

I wouldn’t worry about that… all their Thanksgiving week cruises were full and many with 3/4 occupancy.  They are fully staffed 

On 12/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, MightyMike said:

It is already happening. One member of the social media group for our upcoming cruise posted a review of his recent Thanksgiving cruise. It wasn't pretty.

I cruised during Thanksgiving, on Symphony. We had 6600 passengers and it almost never felt crowded. I never saw the guest services line too long, never stood in line for the windjammer, always found a lounger to sit in outside. Elevators were slow, and often full, but that seemed to have more to do with the elevator programming making it so certain elevators only stopped on certain floors.

I had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go on a full sailing on an oasis class ship again. 

26 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I cruised during Thanksgiving, on Symphony. We had 6600 passengers and it almost never felt crowded. I never saw the guest services line too long, never stood in line for the windjammer, always found a lounger to sit in outside. Elevators were slow, and often full, but that seemed to have more to do with the elevator programming making it so certain elevators only stopped on certain floors.

I had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go on a full sailing on an oasis class ship again. 

We were on Symphony the week after Thanksgiving and could have written this word for word (save 6200+ passengers rather than 6600).

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Jimbo said:

The United States Navy never gave us a choice to be anything but an inside cabin when we went on "world cruises". 🤣 I guess it would not bother me.

By the way, if anyone sells you a submarine cabin with a view, you better check your insurance policy. 😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Inside gty cabin are being sold for Dec 11 Wonder cruise on Royal’s website.  That suggests there are more than enough inside cabins to accommodate volunteers accepting downgrades. 

Hmm I’m not seeing it anymore. Maybe that was a system glitch as well 😬

2 hours ago, ulcards99 said:

Hmm I’m not seeing it anymore. Maybe that was a system glitch as well 😬

Still coming up for me.  Now options to select a room for more $ as well.  It is not bargain pricing, but it suggests the cruise as a whole is not oversold…rather certain categories are oversold.  

BA6E58C1-1BB9-4F71-AE51-D7CBA2C73F3F.thumb.png.bcdc5c9fc499495d4e6f5f15676f6706.png

Edited by Starry Eyes

On 12/7/2022 at 8:03 PM, Starry Eyes said:

When they are offering a downgrade to an inside cabin on the same cruise, it really does not matter where one lives.  People need to take the same flights or the same drive whether they sail in a balcony or an inside cabin.  Floridians are good targets for move over offers, but I meet lots of people who drive (rather than fly) to cruises from other states.  Furthermore, there are plenty of snowbirds with permanent addresses in other states who are in Florida for months.  As it is just an email offer, the cruiselines can cast a wider net than just Floridians.   I suspect they will get sufficient volunteers to switch to inside cabin in exchange for refund of cruise fare. The last time Wonder was oversold, they made offers to move people off the ship.  Then days before sailing, there were enough cancellations they had a few cabins to sell on that cruise.

I hope for all those involved in the offer, they get enough people to accept.  For those like myself who would have to drive 20+ hours to the port, we will always fly.  Just the threat by RCCL saying that they will start to cancel reservations if enough people do not accept the offer, would be enough to cause a boatload of stress and start the vacation off on the wrong foot.  Good luck to all those who may be affected.

42 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I hope for all those involved in the offer, they get enough people to accept.  For those like myself who would have to drive 20+ hours to the port, we will always fly.  Just the threat by RCCL saying that they will start to cancel reservations if enough people do not accept the offer, would be enough to cause a boatload of stress and start the vacation off on the wrong foot.  Good luck to all those who may be affected.

I understand.  We flew to ports when we lived in the upper Midwest.  Still we regularly meet people who elect to drive substantial distances to port rather than fly.  I suspect they will get enough volunteers taking the downgrade with compensation.  Though DH generally resists inside cabins, he would have accepted a downgrade to an inside cabin (with compensation) rather than canceling planned vacation with time off work, air travel and hotel reservations.  While he might not volunteer for a downgrade, he’d accept one if push came to shove.

• Like 1