Email from Princess saying all guests will self test for covid on 2nd full day of our cruise

korky1

Cruise lines also take flu seriously. We were on a Princess cruise in 2017, someone we know was unwell so the medical centre tested him. He was diagnosed with Influenza A and ordered to isolate in his cabin, with the threat that if he left his cabin he would be thrown off the ship at the next port.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CU64 said:

I can also pass on a cold and flu. Shall we get a test for all those?

True. But how do you know you have the flu and not covid? By your reasoning, they are one of the same. Most of us have built a resistance to cold & flu, and less likely to catch it.

At the end of October, Majestic Princess departed Sydney with no apparent covid aboard, and returned 2 weeks later with 800 positive cases. That wouldn't happen with flu, and far exceeds the worst noro outbreak recorded on a ship.

These outbreaks are costing the cruise lines an absolute packet from cruise credits, medical costs and bad press. I respect their freedom to protect the operation of their ships over the freedoms of a few self-entitled individuals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Cruise lines also take flu seriously. We were on a Princess cruise in 2017, someone we know was unwell so the medical centre tested him. He was diagnosed with Influenza A and ordered to isolate in his cabin, with the threat that if he left his cabin he would be thrown off the ship at the next port.

We were on the Diamond in 2015 on a re location cruise to Singapore. The flu was going through the ship and there were announcements for anyone with symptoms to contact the medical centre, I woke one morning with a sore throat and shocking headache, and runny nose. I rang the medical centre and was told to come down. There were quite a few people waiting to be seen. I was checked out by the triage nurse and a doctor came in and said I had sinusitis, I was given some anti biotics and sent on my way. So they certainly took flu seriously.

• Like 1

Just to throw something else in the mix I’ve just been diagnosed with Rebound Covid! I was on Majestic for 26 nights and disembarked on Thursday. During the NZ leg tested positive, did my 6 day isolation with the last three days testing negative so was able to get off at the last two ports of call, within 24 hours of leaving the ship tested Positive again and really unwell. My husband tested positive in the evening before arriving in Sydney, we had to hire a car to get back to Canberra in lieu of the coach, he deteriorated pretty rapidly after arriving home and was taken to hospital where he remains very unwell and needing assistance to breath. We both really enjoyed the BTB cruises and aware of the risk of contracting Covid, it’s a matter of playing safe or living your life I guess. Unfortunately will have to cancel our booked cruises but consider we have been lucky enough to have done so many cruises and have some lovely memories. 

1 minute ago, marinating said:

Just to throw something else in the mix I’ve just been diagnosed with Rebound Covid! I was on Majestic for 26 nights and disembarked on Thursday. During the NZ leg tested positive, did my 6 day isolation with the last three days testing negative so was able to get off at the last two ports of call, within 24 hours of leaving the ship tested Positive again and really unwell. My husband tested positive in the evening before arriving in Sydney, we had to hire a car to get back to Canberra in lieu of the coach, he deteriorated pretty rapidly after arriving home and was taken to hospital where he remains very unwell and needing assistance to breath. We both really enjoyed the BTB cruises and aware of the risk of contracting Covid, it’s a matter of playing safe or living your life I guess. Unfortunately will have to cancel our booked cruises but consider we have been lucky enough to have done so many cruises and have some lovely memories. 

I am so sorry to hear that your husband is so unwell. Best wishes to you both and particularly to him for a quick (and complete) recovery. 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marinating said:

Not good, sorry to hear that. I hope you both recover soon.

57 minutes ago, marinating said:

Just to throw something else in the mix I’ve just been diagnosed with Rebound Covid! I was on Majestic for 26 nights and disembarked on Thursday. During the NZ leg tested positive, did my 6 day isolation with the last three days testing negative so was able to get off at the last two ports of call, within 24 hours of leaving the ship tested Positive again and really unwell.  

Just wondering if you were given anti-virals on the ship?  I've heard rebound COVID is not uncommon after taking them.

I'm sorry to hear your husband is unwell, and hope his health improves soon.  

27 minutes ago, thistledoo said:

Just wondering if you were given anti-virals on the ship?  I've heard rebound COVID is not uncommon after taking them.

I'm sorry to hear your husband is unwell, and hope his health improves soon.  

Yes I had the antivirals, apparently there are questions around whether 5 day course is long enough.

‘Thank you for your kind thoughts regarding my husband. 

2 hours ago, marinating said:

Hope you both recover quickly.

I had rebound Covid too but it was very, very mild, just over 24 hours of a slight sore throat and stuffy nose which were the primary symptoms when I caught Covid. Then I had a couple of days of feeling tired. I tested negative though. All good now and ready for our next cruise. 

Take care of yourself! 

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hope you both recover quickly.

I had rebound Covid too but it was very, very mild, just over 24 hours of a slight sore throat and stuffy nose which were the primary symptoms when I caught Covid. Then I had a couple of days of feeling tired. I tested negative though. All good now and ready for our next cruise. 

Take care of yourself! 

Thank you, initially I felt like it was just like a bad hay fever day however the rebound Covid has made me really unwell. Hopefully tomorrow morning I’ll feel a little better. 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about your awful experience with Covid, especially your husband being so ill.  Please keep us informed on his progress. 

I fully understand your decision to cancel your future cruises.  I would be doing the same thing myself.

Let's hope over the next year or so Covid becomes no worse than the common cold and you and your husband can feel comfortable and confident enough to cruise again as you obviously love cruising just like most of us on here do. 

46 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Sorry to her you are so crook. How is your husband today?

Hi, spoke to his nurse this morning, still needing to be on oxygen and having IV antivirals, his blood pressure keeps dropping so they have had to take him of most of his cardiac meds at this stage. 
See what the next 24 hours brings, thanks for asking after Dennis. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, marinating said:

Hi, spoke to his nurse this morning, still needing to be on oxygen and having IV antivirals, his blood pressure keeps dropping so they have had to take him of most of his cardiac meds at this stage. 

Thanks for your reply. We are all concerned. Please keep us up-dated on how Dennis is going.

2 hours ago, marinating said:

I'm very sorry your husband is so unwell. I do hope he starts to improve very soon and that you're feeling well again soon, also.

4 hours ago, marinating said:

Sorry to read of your problems. Best wishes for a quick recovery & that you are both good to go soon.

On 12/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, marinating said:

Take care.

I have had some general tiredness and lethargy since, and a short cycle back through the symptoms without testing positive.

On 12/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, marinating said:

What a nasty end to your cruise. I hope both you and your husband are both on the road to recovery very soon. Look after yourselves.