Bow staterooms Oceania vista.

spindrift

3 hours ago, spindrift said:

Feelings about bow staterooms on O ships. 

The bow is the bow, no matter the ship.  Personally I love the bow, and prefer higher up when I can get it, really love feeling the motion of the ship in my suite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

The bow is the bow, no matter the ship.  Personally I love the bow, and prefer higher up when I can get it, really love feeling the motion of the ship in my suite.

This is us, too.

We LOVE the forward view.

And we also enjoy the motion of the ocean, etc.

Well, the one time off the coast of Norway, when at least the Captain [not Oceania] gave us all advance warning that we'd have some "rough seas", when "it" started, we could not even stand up against the wall.  We had to crawl to the bedroom, where we stayed in the middle of the bed all night, watching the water splashing everywhere via the bridge cam. 🙂 

That's when we became even more sure that we don't get seasick.

(A year or two later, this was the general area where the Viking Sky got into trouble.  We were just glad that we went through this before knowing about that, rather than after that.  But they had engine failure, etc., in rough seas, and that becomes a very different "thing" indeed.)

But other times, it's not been such an "adventure", and mostly "no adventure at all".

As for the need to keep lights off, instead of keeping the curtains closed all the time after dark, we sometimes just turn out the lights, and enjoy the view even more.

Unfortunately, the few times we've tried to book a Vista Suite on Oceania (the suite type, not the ship), they are already sold out.  We'll keep trying.

GC

We have been on I think 3 cruises where we were in a VS on Oceania and while I've read lots of complaints about the veranda not being available (due to wind), we didn't notice that.  Now, it might have been a port intensive cruise (although we tend to avoid those these days) but we didn't have a problem with the veranda being unavailable.

We did get a call one night when we were in 1001 on MARINA.  The bridge crew was asking us to turn out the lights on our veranda.  As far as we knew they were not on.  After a bit of searching we discovered that the curtains in the living room had not been completely closed when the cabin crew did the turn-down.  Our deck lights were not on -- in fact, we couldn't figure out how to turn them on or off.  But it was the curtains who were culprits.

That was an easy fix once we figured it out. (Although we did conclude that occupants needed a Ph,D. in operating the lights in the suite.  And we did not have such a degree.  This was in October 2011 so thing may have changed by now!

Mura

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mura said:

That was an easy fix once we figured it out. (Although we did conclude that occupants needed a Ph,D. in operating the lights in the suite.  And we did not have such a degree.  This was in October 2011 so thing may have changed by now!

Mura

I have one and couldn't. Here's the extract from our blog:

The first is there are 23 unlabeled light switches spread out across 6 banks in the living room and that doesn’t include the pull chains or floor switches on the lamps. After a month in this room, I’m still not sure what they all do since some are dimmers, some are 3-way, some are for outlets, and some are plain on/off. We have lamps, art spot lights, under counter lights, veranda lights (that are also controlled by the bridge so they won’t turn on at night when the ship is moving), hallway and bathroom lights, a light over the dining table, and a LED strip that runs around the edge of the room. Why do you need all these lights?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mura said:

Mura

Earlier this year we were in an Oceania suite on Riviera.  The front most suite.   Apparently the deck lights are controlled by the bridge so we weren't able to turn them on.  This was according to the Butler.

10 minutes ago, davencl said:

Earlier this year we were in an Oceania suite on Riviera.  The front most suite.   Apparently the deck lights are controlled by the bridge so we weren't able to turn them on.  This was according to the Butler.

You would not think  those would affect the bridge being on the side  of the ship

On 12/15/2022 at 6:08 PM, davencl said:

An excellent improvement!!

On 12/15/2022 at 5:11 PM, Hokulea said:

I have one and couldn't. Here's the extract from our blog:

The first is there are 23 unlabeled light switches spread out across 6 banks in the living room and that doesn’t include the pull chains or floor switches on the lamps. After a month in this room, I’m still not sure what they all do since some are dimmers, some are 3-way, some are for outlets, and some are plain on/off. We have lamps, art spot lights, under counter lights, veranda lights (that are also controlled by the bridge so they won’t turn on at night when the ship is moving), hallway and bathroom lights, a light over the dining table, and a LED strip that runs around the edge of the room. Why do you need all these lights?!

Have to agree with you!  We did not see the need for so many controls either.  We weren't in the room for a month -- more like 2 weeks -- so it became a guessing game.  By the end of our cruise we had pretty much figured it out.  On a later cruise we found it much easier ... perhaps things had been changed in the interim.

28 minutes ago, BSGreg said:

Newbie question:  Why can't the veranda lights be on at night?  Are they in stealth mode or something?

it interferes with the night vision of the crew on watch and screws up the light pattern that other ships need to correctly identify what is heading in their direction.  It's a law of the sea thing not an Oceania policy thing.